Have you considered these universities?
Welcome to Newcastle University
Newcastle University has always focused on academic excellence and the impact of academic work. This has led to a global reputation for high quality teaching and is a Russell Group University that ranks among the world’s best universities. It was ranked 1st in the Russell Group in the People and Planet University League and 12th overall and 23rd in the Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide 2015
Newcastle was named after the Norman castle in its centre. However, the city can trace its history back to Roman times. Remnants of Hadrian's Wall exist alongside a medieval cathedral, and impressive Victorian buildings. The city lies at the heart of the ancient kingdom of Northumbria, renowned for its glorious unspoilt countryside and rich heritage. The region is at the northern limit of the Roman Empire and has been the location of many border battles with Scotland.
Courses and fees
The University has three faculties that oversees its programmes:
- Faculty of Medical Sciences- runs the undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in biological sciences, medicine, dentistry and psychology.
- Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences- runs the undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in humanity subjects including Architecture, Geography, Law, etc.
- Faculty of Science, Agriculture and Engineering- runs the undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in chemistry, engineering, agriculture and many more.
Undergraduate programmes will cost £9000 per academic year for students from the UK and the EU.
The tuition fees for postgraduate studies varies according to the programme being studied. Please check the individual course details on the university website for more information.
The fees for international students are higher and should be checked according to the selected course on the university website.
The university invests millions of pounds in financial support for UK students who choose to come and study here. The generous range of scholarships and fee discounts will help around 30% of new undergraduate students starting their degrees in 2015 and 2016.
Fun, friendly and effortlessly cool, Newcastle has gained an enviable reputation as one of the UK's favourite student cities. One in six people in Newcastle is a student, helping create the city's vibrant social scene and renowned nightlife. Our beautiful campus is right in the heart of Newcastle, and most of our accommodation sites are in the city centre, making it easy and affordable to get around.
Library and Student Services
Newcastle University has 3 libraries;
- The Robinson Library- is the main campus library and has resources for all subjects except medicine and law.
- The Walton Library- is the faculty library for Medical Sciences. It serves the Schools of Medicine, Dentistry, Psychology and Biomedical Sciences as well as the Graduate School and Research Institutes of the Faculty.
- The Law Library- is located in Newcastle Law School and provides extensive resources for all those engaged in learning and researching law.
IT and Comping
There are over 1,400 networked PCs in 44 clusters across campus including some with 24-hour access. Wireless access is active throughout most of the university campus. All student bedrooms are internet-ready, with almost all having a cable connection to the campus network.
Whatever your ambitions, values, degree subject or stage, the award-winning Careers Service exists to help you make the most of your unique skills and experiences.Whether you are seeking a graduate career, going on to further study or starting your own business, there is a range of support to help you realise your potential while you are studying and for up to three years after you have graduated.
There is a variety of eateries on campus, from refectories to cafes and bars, including a Subway and a Starbucks. There is also the university shop and banking facilities
Newcastle University Students' Union (NUSU) is a gateway to a whole variety of different experiences to help you meet new people, discover new interests and develop valuable new skills. NUSU can help you make the most of every opportunity. It runs over 200 student societies and sports clubs covering different sports, subjects, cultural interests, politics and religion. It also houses revamped bar serving food and drinks and a huge gig and event space, hosting live gigs and regular Saturday club nights
SportsNewcastle University's reputation for sport is well deserved. The sports teams have finished in the top 10 out of around 146 Higher Education institutions in the British Universities and Colleges Sports (BUCS) table for five of the last eight years. With over 60 student led sports clubs and societies and outstanding facilities, whether you are a beginner or a high level athelete there is sure to be something for you.
Medical and Welfare services
The Student Wellbeing team can help you register with local medical and dental practices when you arrive. There are professional counsellors and mental health workers are on hand all year round to support students who are experiencing emotional or psychological difficulties
The university is committed to providing a friendly and accessible service for disabled students so that they may study effectively and make full use of the opportunities at Newcastle University.
The Student Financial Support Fund is provided by the University to give discretionary financial assistance to UK students.
The Financial Assistance Fund (FAF) is provided by the University to help registered international and non-UK EU students who are facing unexpected financial difficulties.
Our accommodation guarantee ensures that you receive an offer of University-owned or Managed Partnership accommodation for your first year.
- Castle Leazes- offers both catering and self catering rooms, and a choice of standard or ensuite single rooms
- Bowsden Court- available for both postgraduate and undergraduate students. It offers a range of self catering rooms some with ensuite, and some self contained family flats.
- Leazes Parade- available for both postgraduate and undergraduate students. It offers self catering single rooms with a washbasin.
- Marris House- for undergraduate students, it offers self catering single rooms with a washbasin.
- Park Terrace- for undergraduate students, it offers a selection of self catering ensuite single rooms.
- Richardson Road- for undergraduate students, it offers self catering single rooms, and some 2 person flats.
- St Mary's College- available for both postgraduate and undergraduate students. It offers self catering single rooms with a washbasin.
- Windsor Terrace- for undergraduate students, it offers a selection of self catering single rooms with either a washbasin or ensuite.
- Easton Flats- for postgraduate students offers single and twin rooms without washbasin.
- Grand Hotel-for postgraduate students, it offers a selection of self catering ensuite single standard or deluxe rooms.
- Henderson Hall- for postgraduate students, it offers a selection of self catering single rooms with either a washbasin or ensuite.
- Jesmond Road- for postgraduate students, it offers a selection of single rooms some with a washbasin.
- Kensington Terrace- for postgraduate students, it offers a selection of self catering ensuite single rooms and some studio flats.
Managed Partnership Accommodation
- Liberty Plaza- for undergraduate students, it offers a selection of self catering ensuite single rooms.
- Magnet Court- For postgraduate students, it offers a selection of self catering ensuite single rooms, and some studio flats for couples
- The View- for undergraduate students, it offers a selection of self catering ensuite single rooms.
- Turner Court- for undergraduate students, it offers a selection of self catering ensuite single rooms.
- Victoria Hall- for undergraduate students, it offers a selection of self catering ensuite single rooms.
Open daysWant to find out more about Newcastle University? Then come to one of the open days and explore the vibrant, city-centre campus, find out more about the degree courses and see our fantastic facilities.
- Religious Studies
- Other subjects
- Media Studies
- Religious Studies
- Other subjects
- Careers & jobs
- Relationships & health
- News & entertainment
- Student finance