Finance hub on The Student RoomSecond degree students

Students with a HE qualification

If you’ve previously studied a higher-education course you’re generally not able to get support for a new course of an equivalent or lower qualification, however there are some exceptions.

Under normal circumstances you wouldn’t be entitled to further funding if you already hold an honours degree and wish to study another, we would consider you to have an Equivalent Level Qualification (ELQ), however if you’re going onto study a course which will lead to one of the qualifications below, you may be able to get some funding:

  • A medical doctor or, dentist ( including the 5 year undergraduate and 4 year accelerated programmes)
  • a nurse, midwife or other health profession if the course attracts a healthcare bursary
  • Social worker
  • Architect and Veterinary surgeon
  • Undergraduate Initial Teacher Training (ITT)

If you’re on one of the above courses, and already have a higher-education qualification and you’re not in a year that attracts a healthcare bursary you can apply for a means-tested Maintenance Loan as well as supplementary grants.

For further information on the financial cost of undertaking a second degree you need to contact the university or college for details.

If you’re on healthcare courses, you can apply for a means-tested healthcare bursary from the NHS Business Services Authority, you may also qualify for a non means tested maintenance loan at a reduced level A slightly different package of support is available if you’re specifically studying a graduate-entry accelerated medical and dental course and you started on or after 1 September 2012, you may qualify for some Tuition Fee Loan support. Information is available here:

NHS bursaries - what you'll get

The following courses attract full funding including tuition fee support

  • Initial teacher training (PGCE and SCITT routes only)

If you already have an honours degree and are studying for a second degree you may also be charged higher tuition fees by your university than first-degree students. This is because undertaking a second degree is usually classed as studying for an ELQ, for further information on the financial cost of studying a second degree, contact the university or college.

More information can be found on the pages below:

Postgraduate initial teacher training student finance hub

NHS bursaries finance hub






Log in to your account

Illustration of silhouette

Apply for finance or check an application you've already made.

Go to your account

Finance calculator

Image of calculator

Work out what grants, loans and bursaries you can get for courses that start after 1 September 2013.

Finance Calculator