The Student Room Group

Faq: Experience

The following is not a definitive guide, it is what I believe, in consultation with colleagues, an applicant should be aiming to achieve prior to application.

1. It is not Work Experience, Voluntary Work, Work or Extra-Curriculars that counts, it's experience of the above.

2. Through your experience you should demonstrate an understanding of the role of a (junior) doctor in modern medicine in both a primary and secondary care settings.

3. Through your experience you should demonstrate an understanding of caring for people and the harsh realities of illness.

4. Through your experience you should develop skills that would be applicable to medicine, including but not limited to; communication, patience, responsibility, accuracy, punctuality, reliability, team work, individual work, leadership, teaching, learning, etc.

That's really about it. It doesn't matter whether you learn about the above as a paid HCA, volunteer nursing assistant or sixth-former mindlessly following a consultant for a few days, just so long as you learn it.
awww renal!! that's amazing!! it's not all that hard is it :rolleyes:
Reply 2
Thank you, That was very thoughtful of you:biggrin: :smile:
Reply 3
Give that man a coconut!
Reply 4
Wangers
Give that man a coconut!

LOL
Do you know what, although I was worrying about work experience like everyone else in terms of do I have enough, the different things I did really did give me an insight and a realistic view of things. Some people still have this starry eyed , I'm going to be a millionaire doctor view and I pity them really.

Latest

Trending

Trending