The Student Room Group

Why is every male member of the British royal family circumcised?

Circumcision of the Royals is actually one of the questions in the game Trivial Pursuit. According to the answers there - and what I have read elsewhere - Edward and Andrew are indeed cut, as of course is Charles.

It is noteworthy to mention that, following the tradition of the Royal House of England that requires circumcision of all male children; it was the Jewish Mohel of London rather than the Royal Physician who was called to circumcise the son of Princess Elizabeth. The following news- item, from a British newspaper, may be of interest:

Crown Prince Charles Circumcised by London Mohel
London (JTA) - Crown Prince Charles, son of Princess Elizabeth and
heir to the British throne, was circumcised in Buckingham Palace by
Rev. Jacob Snowman, official Mohel of the London Jewish community, the
Mizrachi News Bureau reported. Rev. Snowman, who is a noted Jewish
scholar specializing in the poetry of Bialik, has been ritual
circumciser in London for many years. He has published several volumes
on leading Hebrew writers.

A Jewish friend of mine confirmed this one day when he said that his own younger brother was also circumcised by Dr Snowman.

Pictures of Prince Andrew, and reports from his fellow pupils at Gordonstoun school, confirm that he is circumcised. Prince Edward is widely held to also be circumcised.

Princess Diana for some reason best known to herself was opposed to circumcision and refused to allow either William or Harry to be done. There were reports at the time which suggested that both the Queen and Prince Philip were very annoyed at this (which would back up the suggestion that Edward was done).

It has been rumored that Prince William had the procedure done at his own request only months after Diana’s death.

Scroll to see replies

Jew conspiracy duh.
The Solitary Reaper
Jew conspiracy duh.

Muslim conspiracy. It's cool to be cut :cool:
Reply 3
Why would anyone want to do this? How can religions be against adding things to your body (piercings, tattoos) but not taking them away?
Anti-monarchist conspiracy, duh. Mutilated penis -> less pleasure in sex + more diseases -> Royals reproduce less -> end of monarchy.
punktopia
Why would anyone want to do this? How can religions be against adding things to your body (piercings, tattoos) but not taking them away?

Well thats why we're in the punx religion duhhh.
CommunistHamster
Anti-monarchist conspiracy, duh. Mutilated penis -> less pleasure in sex + more diseases -> Royals reproduce less -> end of monarchy.

sounds more like an indictment of eugenoterrorists.
Reply 7
According to this website, it was Charles who asked his sons to consent to circumcison after their mother's death; Harry agreed to have the deed done and William refused.

http://www.etoile.co.uk/Columns/RoyalScribe/050110.html

Why is this thread in Politics D&D? It belongs either in 'Health & Relationships' or 'Chat' I would have thought.

C'mon now, we debate things of importance in this sub-forum, not such irrelevancies. :rolleyes:
Reply 8
The Solitary Reaper
Well thats why we're in the punx religion duhhh.

Do you ever have anything useful to contribute?
i know 2 things about circumcision :rolleyes:
- jewish + islamic tradition (i doubt it's for this reason)
- apparantly there's a health link (maybe?)
Reply 10
Anyone's business? I hadn't quite imagined browsing through the politics forum tonight and wondering if I might see a thread about royal knobs. Lovely stuff.
:sucks:
Sorry for multiple posts rather than one long one, feeling lazy tonight :redface:

OakBeans
It is noteworthy to mention that, following the tradition of the Royal House of England that requires circumcision of all male children; it was the Jewish Mohel of London rather than the Royal Physician who was called to circumcise the son of Princess Elizabeth.

The guy may have been a Mohel in London, but rest assured there is no single Jewish Mohel for London. There are lots of them. I know of at least four offhand.
punktopia

I assume you realise how lazy it is to say that adding somethings = bad therefore taking away must = bad too.
CommunistHamster

Apparently circumcision is healthier:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumcision#Medical_aspects
Reply 15
OakBeans
Circumcision of the Royals is actually one of the questions in the game Trivial Pursuit. According to the answers there - and what I have read elsewhere - Edward and Andrew are indeed cut, as of course is Charles.

It is noteworthy to mention that, following the tradition of the Royal House of England that requires circumcision of all male children; it was the Jewish Mohel of London rather than the Royal Physician who was called to circumcise the son of Princess Elizabeth. The following news- item, from a British newspaper, may be of interest:

A Jewish friend of mine confirmed this one day when he said that his own younger brother was also circumcised by Dr Snowman.

Pictures of Prince Andrew, and reports from his fellow pupils at Gordonstoun school, confirm that he is circumcised. Prince Edward is widely held to also be circumcised.

Princess Diana for some reason best known to herself was opposed to circumcision and refused to allow either William or Harry to be done. There were reports at the time which suggested that both the Queen and Prince Philip were very annoyed at this (which would back up the suggestion that Edward was done).

It has been rumored that Prince William had the procedure done at his own request only months after Diana’s death.

lol wtf?

Who cares anyway?
Circumcision is not usually practiced in Europe, but honestly I couldn't care less whether Prince William has had it done. :s-smilie:
Reply 17
actually that's quite interesting. I wonder why it's a tradition in the royal family (not from some conspiracy point of view, just culturally).
OakBeans
Pictures of Prince Andrew...confirm that he is circumcised. .

Excuse me? There are pictures of Prince Andrew with his bits out? *shudder*
Joanna May
Excuse me? There are pictures of Prince Andrew with his bits out? *shudder*

*Googles*

Latest

Trending

Trending