The Student Room Group

Best and Worst places to live in London?

Scroll to see replies

hermaphrodite
How much rent are you paying there? :smile: And what's the average like?

Im in halls, 147 a week inc food. En suite are paying 175. I know its steep but meh, this place is like a hotel lol.
Reply 21
gooseymcgoose
I used to live in Maida Vale and fell in love with it. Absolutely my first choice when I next move.

I've also lived in Angel and Waterloo. Angel was a complete hole and is massively overrated and overpriced. Waterloo is nice enough, and super convenient as a location, but fairly unattractive architecturally.

Thats next to edgeware road right? Sheesha central lol. Are you arab btw? :p:

Bethnal green is alright, Tower Hamlets is alright too, you just need to know where to go, and were not to go.
I live in Covent Garden for 142/week with ensuite kitchen and bathroom. It's pretty sexy, I must admit. I get annoyed with tourists and chavs at Leicester Square fairly often, but other than that, I can't find a single thing wrong with the place!
hmm, i'd love to live in covent garden. but North London is great (Barnet:cool:., last stop on the northern line.)
Phoenix Wright
I live in Covent Garden for 142/week with ensuite kitchen and bathroom. It's pretty sexy, I must admit. I get annoyed with tourists and chavs at Leicester Square fairly often, but other than that, I can't find a single thing wrong with the place!

Are you sharing? If not, how the hell did you get that?
Mos Def
Thats next to edgeware road right? Sheesha central lol. Are you arab btw? :p:

Bethnal green is alright, Tower Hamlets is alright too, you just need to know where to go, and were not to go.

yeah it's between edgeware road and kilburn

i'm not arab and it's a bit weird, like there's suddenly this place where edgeware road stops, and it becomes maida vale, and it's decked out with big white townhouses and boutique lighting stores.

it's just about close enough to be able to walk most places in central london if you really want to, it has excellent tube/nightbus if not, and it's surrounded by edgeware road/kilburn which have the whole 24/7 ethnotrendy thing going on
Reply 26
M.A.H
Bethnal Green is ok, loads of curry houses down bricklane and near the city as well
I would suggest that living at the brick lane end of bethnal would be properly scummy, it's horribly busy, dirty and overcrowded. The cambridge heath side, past the tube station is actually quite nice - comparatively safe, quiet and remarkably convenient.
I live in SE London, just off of Old Kent Road. It's not the greatest area, but I've never had any problems, we live in a nice house on a fairly quiet little side street, but there are some horrible blocks of flats and estates which aren't so nice. I'm about 20 minutes away from Oxford Street or Covent Garden by bus, and about a 20 minute drive from Greenwich in the other direction. There's nothing great about the local area though really - sandwiched between Old Kent Road and Walworth Road which have shops and supermarkets, but they're a bit yucky. I could think of worse places to live (Peckham, Deptford, Brixton, Lewisham for starters) but I'm happy enough here for now. I'd love an apartment overlooking the river near Shad Thames (or anywhere along the South Bank really), or a nice house in Dulwich Village.
no hero in her sky
Are you sharing? If not, how the hell did you get that?

I'm not sharing, actually. My uni has a hall here for postgraduates and I was one of the lucky few to get in. I ended up with such a cheap price for my room because my window faces an alleyway on the first floor and they figured it was broken and wouldn't open either. With a screwdriver, though, I ended up fixing the window so that it opened fully and properly. I'm just sad I have to leave in July. Otherwise, I'd never give this place up!
hermaphrodite
I went into Camden and Camden Market on Thursday and I liked the place. Very fast, busy and bustling (how I like it) and has all the local amenities you would take for granted. I didn't travel on the tube on thursday so I could see how the place was really like.

But with Camden being in the centre of London I just immediately thought it's gonna be way too expensive . . . so I would need to consider something which isn't so close to the centre but slightly further out.

Maybe you'd want to look at somewhere like Brixton? Its got a reputation for being quite ghetto but i think its getting better, and is really cool and trendy. Same goes for hackney, personally I realy like it and I bet its cheap (london cheap).

But if you do love Camden (it really is great) then there's always going to be somewhere affordable. Look into Kentish Town, Mornington Cresent and maybe Chalk Farm.
Renal
I would suggest that living at the brick lane end of bethnal would be properly scummy, it's horribly busy, dirty and overcrowded. The cambridge heath side, past the tube station is actually quite nice - comparatively safe, quiet and remarkably convenient.

Where abouts in London do you live Renal, and what's it like? Would you recommend it - and what's the rent like round there? :smile:
fake plastic love
Maybe you'd want to look at somewhere like Brixton? Its got a reputation for being quite ghetto but i think its getting better, and is really cool and trendy. Same goes for hackney, personally I realy like it and I bet its cheap (london cheap).

But if you do love Camden (it really is great) then there's always going to be somewhere affordable. Look into Kentish Town, Mornington Cresent and maybe Chalk Farm.

Yes I did really like Camden; but bare in mind I haven't been to every nook and cranny of London. So for all I know, there may be other parts in London which I would prefer (but have yet to discover them). Which are the "cheaper ends" or parts of Camden?

I did go up towards the Chalk Farm area but not into Chalk Farm on thursday . . . (I may be talking crap) but I got as far as the bit where there's a painting on the wall which looks "Banksy-ish" (!?!?!?).

How would you rate/compare Kentish to Morning to Chalk??
bump
Reply 33
i reckon all of barnet is the worst place its just the most boring place ever
Reply 34
they're not very good at football either.
I LOVE Primrose Hill and the whole area around Regents Park.

Best go find a nice inheritance somewhere...
Reply 36
best? statistically it's probably kensington/chelsea. i like bayswater/queensway.

i live SE, wouldn't change it. :smile:
Reply 37
Best - Mayfair
Worst - Old Kent Road

If you're looking for somewhere thats a middle of the road alternative, then how about Free Parking?
SuperDaz
Best - Mayfair
Worst - Old Kent Road

If you're looking for somewhere thats a middle of the road alternative, then how about Free Parking?

LOL!!! go to jail. do not pass go. do not collect 200.
Islington is cool. I quite like Dalston personally too.

Quick Reply

Latest