The Student Room Group

BA vs. BSc.....which one is more better

^ oh my days, did i just right 'more better'....jesus **** lol.....nyway:

Bascically, in terms of banking, accounts, finance etc are you at an advanatge by having a BSc rather than a BA?

Basically, this guy I know told me that if possible, you should do a BSc, cuz that is better than a BA (if u wanna go into banking and the whole financial side of things)

Is this true? By how much is it better? And why? Is is becuase in a BSc you are doing more technical stuff, rather than the 'humanities' type degrees that at BA?

Thnx :smile:
Depends on your university and degree. All oxbridge degrees as BA by history and tradition.

Most people would say Maths, Physics, Sciences etc etc. However, there are many people students with Politics, Geography, Classics, Theology degrees in trading positions.
holla_at_ya

I was about to say the same thing.
Back when Swansea was part of the Uni of Wales (5 year ago), the geography dept would give you either a BSc or BA dependant on which A-level or GCSE you've done. Same courses at uni, all the same modules, different letters.
Personally the Bronze Swimming Certificate tended to infer more of a technical approach while the Barely Articulate tended to suggest more "soft" skills like people and time management. And drinking fluffy coffees, Physics was always a double Java, non of your froth and cream malarky.
mountainmetman
Back when Swansea was part of the Uni of Wales (5 year ago), the geography dept would give you either a BSc or BA dependant on which A-level or GCSE you've done. Same courses at uni, all the same modules, different letters.
Personally the Bronze Swimming Certificate tended to infer more of a technical approach while the Barely Articulate tended to suggest more "soft" skills like people and time management. And drinking fluffy coffees, Physics was always a double Java, non of your froth and cream malarky.

Nice and poetically spat.
I was told at birmingham university if you have the choice in your degree .. go for the BSc....... e.g. some unis run exact same degree but u can specify which u want BA/BSc
Think this is mainly as some people see BAs as 'doss' degrees (Not that that is my opinion!) e.g u can get BA david beckham studies nowadays!
At the end of the day though.. go for the uni u want and the course u want dont worry about the title.....
Reply 6
Is an economics degree as good as a science and maths degree for finance?
Yes. But for finance someone who studies sociology and has a flair for finance or a true passion is just as good (arguably) for instance Chassez and Shady Lane, both did arts based subjects and work in IB sales. So clearly, it is not strictly confined to those doing quantitative degrees only.

But for heavily maths based roles those degrees are required.
It's just a name. Titles like LLB or BEng carry special significance, but the BA/BSc distinction is meaningless. You can do Biochemistry at Oxford, and if you only do the Bachelors, you'll have a BA, even though it's blatantly a science. It doesn't matter whether you have BA XXXX or BSc XXXX, just what the XXXX is.
Reply 9
Originally Posted by holla_at_ya

hermaphrodite
I was about to say the same thing.

OMG sum1 shoot me!! lol....hey its been a long week....
Original post by thetoothfairy
OMG sum1 shoot me!! lol....hey its been a long week....

lol tell us more
It depends.

If you are doing Economics, do the BSc. It has a lot more maths, but is more respected.

Many accounting or finance degrees are BA. I have a BA(hons) in Accounting (however, my PG is an MSc). If you can choose I would say BSc, but it's the course and classification that matters more than anything else really.
Reply 12
Original post by Ice_Queen
It depends.

If you are doing Economics, do the BSc. It has a lot more maths, but is more respected.

Many accounting or finance degrees are BA. I have a BA(hons) in Accounting (however, my PG is an MSc). If you can choose I would say BSc, but it's the course and classification that matters more than anything else really.

Shame your reply is 4 years late!
Original post by Naarim
Shame your reply is 4 years late!

Haha it was on the front page, I hadn't noticed! I wonder what the OP did in the end then!
Original post by Maddog Jones
lol tell us more

The only thing worse than necroposting is necrospamming. Dude, seriously?
Original post by ThePants999
The only thing worse than necroposting is necrospamming. Dude, seriously?

This is what happens when you google things for a TSR opinion, then forget you googled it and assume its just a normal thread <_<

...then try to troll on said thread
Fair enough :biggrin:

Bascically, in terms of banking, accounts, finance etc are you at an advanatge by having a BSc rather than a BA?

Basically, this guy I know told me that if possible, you should do a BSc, cuz that is better than a BA (if u wanna go into banking and the whole financial side of things)

Is this true? By how much is it better? And why? Is is becuase in a BSc you are doing more technical stuff, rather than the 'humanities' type degrees that at BA?

BSc is twice the work of a Ba, but not worth the effort. 2 Ba's are better than 1 BSc.

BSc is twice the work of a Ba, but not worth the effort. 2 Ba's are better than 1 BSc.

Quick Reply