The Student Room Group

Tonsiloliths or tonsil stones

Now, this may be considered a little disgusting, so I'm just warning you before you read on (it's not exactly horrible, but the way some people found a blue toe nail disgusting, I'm not quite so sure, so there's the warning).

Anyway, do any of you suffer from tonsil stones/tonsiloliths? They are weird little yellowish lumps that like to nestle in your tonsils. You can sometimes feel them when you swallow and occationally cough them up (although they do have a fairly repungent smell). Just wondering if anybody else suffered from them and knew any ways of stopping them occuring other than having a tonsilectomy. Aparently they're fairly common, but it would just be interesting to see how common.

Not horrible, but not the nicest of topics. I did warn you though.

Scroll to see replies

ewwwwwwwwwwww!! hee hee, sorry!
but to answer ure question...nope, i haven't suffered from it, touch wood, and i haven't heard of any one else either...but maybe they wouldn't mention it... i don't know
xx
Reply 2
meepmeep
Now, this may be considered a little disgusting, so I'm just warning you before you read on (it's not exactly horrible, but the way some people found a blue toe nail disgusting, I'm not quite so sure, so there's the warning).

Anyway, do any of you suffer from tonsil stones/tonsiloliths? They are weird little yellowish lumps that like to nestle in your tonsils. You can sometimes feel them when you swallow and occationally cough them up (although they do have a fairly repungent smell). Just wondering if anybody else suffered from them and knew any ways of stopping them occuring other than having a tonsilectomy. Aparently they're fairly common, but it would just be interesting to see how common.

Oh my god its funny you say this! Ive got tonsilitis again for a start.

I dont have these yellow lumps on my tonsils, however, I do randomly cough up little bogie sized whiteish lumps occasionally, I just assumed they were balls of food caught in my throat! And they dont smell..
Reply 3
meepmeep

I know what you mean, I get the same. I thought I was the only one! They're really vile. Let's set up a support group! :biggrin:
Reply 4
imasillynarb
Oh my god its funny you say this! Ive got tonsilitis again for a start.

I dont have these yellow lumps on my tonsils, however, I do randomly cough up little bogie sized whiteish lumps occasionally, I just assumed they were balls of food caught in my throat! And they dont smell..

Yeah, they're the ones. They look like grapefruit pips kinda. They only smell if you crush them (don't it's vile). Do you always get these or is it just whilst you've had tonsilitis? Apparently people who had lots of bouts of tonsilitis as a kid are more succeptable to them, but I've never had tonsilitis! :mad:

Eeyore
I know what you mean, I get the same. I thought I was the only one! They're really vile. Let's set up a support group!

Yay. Am not the only one. It's not something that people talk about generally though which is a bit stupid if they're fairly common. I've become paranoid about them all of the sudden though after looking at my tonsils with a torch and seeing these things growing in there! Anybody got any suggestions then?
Reply 5
meepmeep
Yeah, they're the ones. They look like grapefruit pips kinda. They only smell if you crush them (don't it's vile). Do you always get these or is it just whilst you've had tonsilitis? Apparently people who had lots of bouts of tonsilitis as a kid are more succeptable to them, but I've never had tonsilitis! :mad:

I had tonsilitis loads as a kid, and I got them when I didnt have tonsilitis, what treatment can you get for them? And what exactly do they do/why are they there?
Reply 6
imasillynarb
I had tonsilitis loads as a kid, and I got them when I didnt have tonsilitis, what treatment can you get for them? And what exactly do they do/why are they there?

From what I've read, they occur when the liquid which is discharged from the tonsils builds up instead of clearing due to it getting stuck in some people's tonsils. This fluid solidifies and grows larger until a tonsil stone forms. Unfortunately, this provides wonderful conditions for bacteria to live in, which break down the stones into sulphurous compounds (which is why they smell horrible if they break open). The only thing you can do to permanently stop them is to have your tonsils removed, but unless they occur frequently/cause bad breath/are regularly uncomfortable on the throat, it's nothing to worry about. Also, they're meant to be more common during teenage years then reduce in frequency. I've always had them, but very infrequently (like one every 2 months or so), but four have come out this week! :eek:
Reply 7
meepmeep
From what I've read, they occur when the liquid which is discharged from the tonsils builds up instead of clearing due to it getting stuck in some people's tonsils. This fluid solidifies and grows larger until a tonsil stone forms. Unfortunately, this provides wonderful conditions for bacteria to live in, which break down the stones into sulphurous compounds (which is why they smell horrible if they break open). The only thing you can do to permanently stop them is to have your tonsils removed, but unless they occur frequently/cause bad breath/are regularly uncomfortable on the throat, it's nothing to worry about. Also, they're meant to be more common during teenage years then reduce in frequency. I've always had them, but very infrequently (like one every 2 months or so), but four have come out this week! :eek:

Yeh I only get 1 every few months roughly
Reply 8
me too :biggrin: i thought i was the only one...its rather like the human equivelant of hairballs :biggrin: oh good...lets start the support group...they ming so bad :P
Reply 9
lucykins
me too :biggrin: i thought i was the only one...its rather like the human equivelant of hairballs :biggrin: oh good...lets start the support group...they ming so bad :P

What is the procedure for having one's tonsils removed then? Local/general anaesthetic? How long in hospital? Does it affect one's voice (I sing)? *is scared*
Reply 10
Eeyore
What is the procedure for having one's tonsils removed then? Local/general anaesthetic? How long in hospital? Does it affect one's voice (I sing)? *is scared*

From what I've read, it's easier when you're younger and get's progressively more difficult. I think it's done under a local anaesthetic. It shouldn't damage your voice, but you do have an horrendous sore throat for two weeks and it is an operation, so it's probably best if you can avoid it.
Reply 11
i dont.... i dont have tonsils
Reply 12
whats the point of tonsils? are they like the appendix?
Reply 13
elpaw
they catch infection which would otherwise cause things such as flu or chest infections, generally all the bacteria that would cause respiritory problems woulds be harnessed by the tonsils and thats why you would get tonsilitis every now and again
Reply 14
elpaw

Yeh I was wondering this as well, what the hell is the point of them? And so they basically catch an infection and cause more pain/discomfort than if the infection was left to run its course...id rather have flu the tonsilitis anyday.
Reply 15
elpaw

People used to think they were completely useless and just "got infected", but they trap bacteria that you breathe in and kill them by secreting white blood cells. (Adenoids do this as well). However, the body has developed better defenses and the tonsils and adenoids are no longer really needed.

More here:
http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/27000658

I've had my adenoids removed when I was a kid, so why couldn't they have taken the tonsils as well while they were in there?
Reply 16
http://www.drgreene.com/21_568.html

i get them to. fairly often. i find i also get them more when i regularly chew gum. The quickest way to get rid of them is to push them out with my finger (gross i know..) or use a dental pic (water tool the dentist has)...

i'm tempted to get my tonsil's removed, but the doctor i talked to recommended against it unless completely necessary. i guess it has a 1 in 4000 chance of fatality because the throat tissue doesn't heal properly and doens't stop bleeding... not 100% sure on that, and i'm sure with new medical procedures its safe..
I know you warned us but that is really horrible. :redface:
I've never even heard of that before though. Is there no medication you can take to stop it?
Reply 18
Yeh I definitely have tonsil stones, I crushed them and you are right, they smell absolutely minging, 2 other people in my house at Uni get them too, so it seems to be quite common.
ah yes, Garys legendary tonsil stones...

"go on Andrew, smell them, they smell just like horse ****"

Latest

Trending

Trending