The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

New College (Oxford) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hello,
I've been offered a place at New College for PPE starting this October (if I get the grades I need!) so hello to anyone else in a similar position! And hello to everyone already there!
Jake
x
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 21
me too :smile:
Hey guys :smile: I'm coming to New this October and i was just wondering if any of you have had any accommodation info sent or anything? I'm a bit confused really cos i've taken a gap year so already have grades etc but i'm scared i'll be sleeping in the college bar hehe! Any help appreciated :smile: X
Singing Duck
Hey guys :smile: I'm coming to New this October and i was just wondering if any of you have had any accommodation info sent or anything? I'm a bit confused really cos i've taken a gap year so already have grades etc but i'm scared i'll be sleeping in the college bar hehe! Any help appreciated :smile: X

Hi,

I've just finished my first year at New College, and, like you, took a gap year - they didn't send out the big pack of information last year until after A-Level results came out, presumably so they could do everyone's at once rather than one lot for gap year people and one lot for those who still need results.

There's no need to worry about accommodation - all the freshers are in New Buildings (where you stayed at interview), and there's plenty of room! You'll probably get an en suite bathroom as well...

liminalcrow
Thank you v much liminalcrow i can relax now!! Hehe although sleeping in the bar could've been fun :biggrin: Thanks again :smile:
Anyone here did IB?
Ehat is the normal score of New Col. Lawyers, who did IB?
Reply 26
I'm planning of applying to new or magdalen for maths. Couple of questions that i would be appreciative if anyone could answer.

1) how far is it away from the maths department/city centre?

2) What are the kitchen facilities and food like? I'm an avid cook and I know Oxford wont be the best place to express it but is a souffle once a month too much to ask?

3) Whats the maths faculty like there, I've heard good things from a few places but nothing really solid.

4) I've heard the accomodation is extremely good but is it particularly social or is it very dispersed?

5) I like the look of the band room(kinda tipping the balance away from magdalen atm) is it actually any good or just a pokey room with a mic and a crumby drumkit in it?

6) anything else that I should have asked and didnt?

any help would be great, so thanks in advance.
Reply 27
JoMo1
I'm planning of applying to new or magdalen for maths. Couple of questions that i would be appreciative if anyone could answer.

1) how far is it away from the maths department/city centre?

2) What are the kitchen facilities and food like? I'm an avid cook and I know Oxford wont be the best place to express it but is a souffle once a month too much to ask?

3) Whats the maths faculty like there, I've heard good things from a few places but nothing really solid.

4) I've heard the accomodation is extremely good but is it particularly social or is it very dispersed?

5) I like the look of the band room(kinda tipping the balance away from magdalen atm) is it actually any good or just a pokey room with a mic and a crumby drumkit in it?

6) anything else that I should have asked and didnt?

any help would be great, so thanks in advance.

Hi,

I'm going into my second year at New (studying maths) but I also looked at Magdalen when I was applying so I won't be biased....

1) In first year you dont go to the maths institute more than twice, all lectures are in the Oxford museum. New is about 5 minutes to the museum and Madg is about 10 mins. New is more central so Magd is going to be slightly further for anything, but then it does have a dear park and is closer to the Oxford sports centre.

2)New is TERRIBLE for food there is NO COOKING facilities for first years, only allowed a fridge and kettle in your room. I dnt know about cooking at Magd.

3)Not sure what you mean by this. You have 2-3 tutorials usually in pairs with you college tutors these are excellent (even if a little daunting to begin with) New has a good library with all the text books you could possibly need. The lectures are fine, but the course pace is much faster then A levels. If you want more info on the course specifically just ask. I guess Madg would have a good library too most colleges do. (Note new college library shuts at 12pm magd i think is 24 hrs)

4) New accommodation is excellent eg my room last year: double bed, en suite, sofa, 2 arm chairs, huge desk, internet access and cleaner once a week
Not sure if magd first yr accom is good (but it is over an off liscence--however it faces a large round about. College life is as social as you make it, quiet places if u need to study but a bar and jcr and lawns to chill out on in the summer

5)Tbh havent used the music room but I know it has been done up this yr with all new equipment

6) On the whole colleges are important but you tend to fit in, New was my second choice I applied to Trinity college (thats a really nice one with kitchen facilities for 1st yrs). Have you been up to visit Oxford? I think that is quite a good idea to really get a feel for the place and see it for yourself. If you (with/without your parents) want to come for a visit I dont mind showing you around the colleges, just pm me (term starts in October). Try to get the alternative prospectus for the colleges. The only disadvantage with new is the food but I'm sure there are food societies and I cook with my bf at Trinity college all the time so there are ways round it, but I love Madg its really pretty but huge (New is big but madg is huge).

Ok cant think of much else, hope this helped

Rachx
Reply 28
Thanks alot, ive had a look round magdalen when I went up for the maths department open day and it looked ace but the lack fo centrality worried me a little, and the new accomodation looks great. Just the info I wanted though, thanks a bunch :smile:
Reply 29
Well i've applied to New without putting too much thought into it tbh. Would anyone mind telling me a bit about the place? I hear the food is decent enough and that the accommodation is some of the best? The grounds are supposedly nice but I can't get any decent pics (any virtual tours or a good gallery of pics anywhere?)

And, how tough it the competion? I was put of Balliol by the sheer number of applicants it supposedly gets, was hoping that New would be a bit less competitive.
Hey, i've just applied to New too :biggrin: There are some photos on wikipedia but they aren't very good. What course have you applied for Pikey?
Reply 31
Straight History, so, if I get in (which I won't :wink: ) then I may see you around.

All the best in any case.
And the same to you :smile: If we both get interviews then we may be there at the same time. Ready for the HAT?
Did anybody who applied get an application acknowledgement yet?
Reply 34
Hannah_
And the same to you :smile: If we both get interviews then we may be there at the same time. Ready for the HAT?

I won't be taking it. I'm going to be away and seeing as I took it last year, they've agreed to use those results. Saves me the stress, although I don't think I did very well last year.

Best of luck to you, I didn't think it was that bad, but you really can't tell how well you did or what exactly they are after. Its a bit of a weird one...
metaphysical
Did anybody who applied get an application acknowledgement yet?

i haven't yet, maybe they are waiting until after the deadline has closed?
Reply 36
When does new start sending invitations? I know that it depends, but I don't know whether to wait with booking a flight or not :/

They sholud inform earlier.. at least when someone is from outside UK!
This may not be the case for your course, but i think that for History we can hear at anytime between 3 weeks from the HAT, so this Wednesday, to up to 4 days before the published interview date. If you're international you may hear earlier.. i don't really know to be honest, sorry!
Reply 38
I hear Richard Dawkins is a fellow of this college!!! Legendary!!! Can't wait until my interview!! (I hope Richard Dawkins is there personally!) Do you reckon he'd mind if I asked for a photo with him?
Reply 39
Richard Dawkins is a visiting fellow at New. As far as I can make out this means he is never there. I've been there a term now and haven't seen him once.

Good luck on your interviews and even better luck on getting a signed Dawkins photo!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending