The Student Room Group

The Thread of Anime Reviews

Scroll to see replies

Reply 41
It may be interesting to count how many times the characters bathe / appear half naked though! :rofl:
Reply 42
Thanks! urm... Sorry to confuse people! I'm very tired today... ignore my previous 'through 1-6' post :s

I've confused myself :frown:. Am I the 'she' everyone is referring to?

Thanks AJF - I'll see if I can watch those.

*goes to bed*
Reply 43
lol. I really don't know where that came from actually. Perhaps I read somewhere that there is 6 episodes in the 'Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora' series.

Sorry anyway!
Laus
Thanks! urm... Sorry to confuse people! I'm very tired today... ignore my previous 'through 1-6' post :s

No problem. I think Sephirona referred to you as 'she' once but from there onwards all mentions of the word 'she' were referring to the main character from Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora :p:.
Reply 45
I finished Kyoshiro to towa no sora!! Overall I would give the show 2.5/5

My general thoughts on the series is that it wasnt as awful as I expected. There was a plot, a very cliched one, but a plot all the same. It could have been better if it had not have taken itself so seriously. A bit more parody / comedy would have lightened the whole thing considerably and made me rate it higher. Because so much was played straight I found myself giggling at parts that where meant to be dramatic!

The main character Kuu is the weakest in the show (and she never does get over her obession with the word 'Ouji-sama'!). I wanted to gag her everytime she opened her mouth (really disliked the voice acting).

The ending was not what I was expecting. But I was expecting the extra helping of cheese that appeared after the credits finish! :giggle:

So not a bad start to our anime reviews! Interesting choice Juno - I personally would never have seen this if it wasnt for you! lol

Now ready to get stuck into Kes's choice - Revolutionary Girl Utena! Going to search for it now :wink:
Kaishaku making a cheesy series that doesn't take itself seriously? Not going to happen :p:
So, how do you do this then? I mean, does everyone go on Amazon and order the DVD each week, or... what?

Do a Ghibli film :smile: Then I might be able to review it.
Reply 48
As discussed earlier it isnt really feasible to buy a series a week, so for we're mainly sticking to series that are unlicensed in the UK and widely available as fansubbed downloads.

I'm watching the series we review on Veoh as the quality is quite good and I dont feel like using up harddrive space on a series I may not like! :biggrin:

Saying that we may cover a Ghibli film in the future, as we're taking it in turns to make suggestions.
If we were to do a Ghibli film it would have to be either Tales from Earthsea (the new one) or I Can Hear the Sea (a.k.a Ocean Waves, the non UK licensed one that barely anyone seems to have heard of). Mainly because we're trying to cover series that most people haven't seen, and the Ghibli films are fairly mainstream in my opinion. But I personally wouldn't put forward either of those movies.
What about Paprika then? That looks really good.
Paprika is awesome, I highly recommend it. Not quite as good as Millenium Actress or Perfect Blue in my opinion, but still awesome. Since it's (fairly) new then there may be quite a few people who haven't seen it, but again the UK license is putting me off suggesting it myself.
Hmm OK. So, where do you guys download the non-licensed stuff from then? One of the reasons I don't see as much anime as I'd like to is the fact that I have no idea what/where people download things from on the net.
Unfortunately we aren't allowed to link to download sites, TSR rules. Though the series we chose for reviewing last week (Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora) and the one scheduled for this week (Revolutionary Girl Utena) are fairly easy to find online, which is one of the criteria we try to stick to when choosing a series :smile:.
Reply 54
Typing a few key words into Google will give you more sites offering downloads than you can shake a stick at!
First post updated; we are now reviewing 'Revolutionary Girl Utena'.
Laus
lol. I really don't know where that came from actually. Perhaps I read somewhere that there is 6 episodes in the 'Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora' series.

Sorry anyway!

Its aight.:biggrin:
Finished the six episodes. I can't be bothered reviewing each episode individually this time.

Overall rating (based on these six episodes):
4.5/5

Personally, I think Revolutionary Girl Utena is similar to Kyoshiro. Both series are over the top with their insane plots, be it duels to win rose brides or cat girls with giant mech limbs. The major difference is that in Utena it's clear that they do some things over the top purely for comedy reasons, whereas I'm sure if those events happened in Kyoshiro they would have found a way to make it seem dead serious :rofl:. I loved the artwork and the music in these episodes (though both made me laugh in places :p:). Episode six was the best, I'm so glad I decided to increace the amount of episodes this time around or I would have missed it.

Will I carry on watching this series?:
;yes;
Reply 58
Ok! Finished the 6 episodes of Utena too!

Based on what I've seen so far I'd give the series 4/5.

Revolutionary Girl Utena has a really random plot, but it is very well executed with a good balance of comedy and drama.
The characters are likable, which is very important, especially the central 2 girls Utena and Anthy. Usually I take a dislike to the annoying younger sister style character, but even Namami is likeable in this series! (ep 6 = :rofl:)
The artwork in the series is an older style, but once you get used to that you appreciate how well designed this anime is, the archtecture of the school grounds and battle arena are beautiful, and every frame seems to be saturated in rose motifs.
The insert songs are, in certain places, hillarious (battle song of ep 3 and Utena's entrance music come to mind :giggle:) but the background music is fitting and easy on the ear.

So overall I'd recommend Utena to anyone looking for a solid comedy series with a good dose of plot based drama. I'll definately be keeping this series on. :biggrin:

On to the next series! Blue Submarine No.6 chosen by AJ :smile:
I know very little about Blue Submarine No.6, I was just searching for a short series so that we could actually review the whole thing rather than just the first few episodes. And this came up as a random series on A-P, at four episodes long it was perfect. Also, seeing as it was made by Studio GONZO (Afro Samurai, Chrno Crusade, Kiddy Grade, Hellsing, Full Metal Panic and Sunabozu) I'm expecting good things from it in terms of artwork if nothing else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending