The Student Room Group

The Persian Society (UKL Iranian Society)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Lol, its true. My sister wants to become a lawyer, but my dad's says " no, its a rubbish job, you will have no future..." He wants her to do medicine!
petzneo
I believe it is. Are you from Iran???
I'm not, no. But I like Iran. Does that count? :p:

I also want to know some good places to have Persian food :biggrin: But in central-London area?
Lol, its true. My sister wants to become a lawyer, but my dad's says " no, its a rubbish job, you will have no future..." He wants her to do medicine!

I should mention, that "have to be a dr" rule doesn't seem to apply in my family...for my parents (who are both iranian btw) it's "you have to study law". Which I'm not gonna do, ever :P

I also want to know some good places to have Persian food But in central-London area?

Apadana on Kensington High Street...heaven on earth :wink:
Democracy
Apadana on Kensington High Street...heaven on earth :wink:
I'll try that, thanks!

Any others more central? Or near to Edgware Road/Oxford Circus?
Reply 24
Yep, that counts farhan!

About the doctor and lawyer thing, I guess that they say this for our own sake, as they always seem to be right!

I was sent this link a while back, and I thought that it was really funny, as it answers my question, You are an Persian/Iranian if :

-If you dress up to go to the supermarket.*(embarassing but sadly true)
-If you smoke 5 packs a day and tell everyone you don't smoke
-If you pronounce "Sure", "SHOOR". *
-If you are about 35 and have no hair on your head. *
-If you watch Iranian program on TV, but always nag for programming. ( i don't get it?)
Reply 25
-If you are good in playing backgammon and chess but can't do your taxes ( i don't get this)
-If you pronounce "gas station", "gas esstation".
-If you carry 3 pagers and 2 cellular phone and no one ever calls you.
-If you claim your dad was a very good friend of SHAH. *
-If you don't own a house and have no job, but still can afford a BMW.
-If you have to shave more than once a day.
-If your in-laws come to visit and they never leave. ( I hope to God that never happens to me!)
-Your parents pronounce their w's as v's-vhat, vhere, vhen, vhy
-Your parents forget the 'h' in 'th' and pronounce their 'th's' as 'd's' -dhat, dheir, dhen
-When Andre Aghassi comes up you immediately pronounce it "aghassi" instead of "agasi" then you start about how his dad was a famous iranian boxer. *
-When you see a farsi/Iranian license plate on the road like "Shaytoon" or "Alis Beemr" you immediately cut through 3 lanes of traffic and try to speed up to see whose in the car. *
-You get excited when a cashier is persian. * ( I think we get excited just to see a Persian/Iranian, for some reason there are very little in my area)
-You walk down Wilshire Blvd in LA and you are trying to eavesdrop on others' Farsi conversations. * (In London!)
-Your parents tell of how they knew/saw Googoosh at parties when she was a little child back in Iran.
-You drink tea at the end of the night to sober up.
-Within five minutes after you leave a party your parents are talking %%%%%%%% about all the people who they were just "ruboosy"ing while you are listening idly in the back seat of the car. *(lol)
-You parents want you to become a doctor or a computer programmer. *
-Your dad tells you daily, "Donyayeh ayandeh, donya yeh computereh"
-You started college as a biology major wanting to go to med school, then you figured you'd become a dentist because its easier, then you tried computer programming, then you switched to become a lawyer, and you finally have ended up as a real estate agent. ( I hope that doesn't happen to me, but its going that way!)
-You use the phrase "Ghorbooneh Shoma" or "Ghorbonat" or "Ghorboonet" at least 30 times a day.
-You start every sentence with "Bebeen"
-You walk down the street with your cell phone in your hand, whereas you could stick it in your pocket or belt clip.
Reply 26
-You've always wondered (especially as a child) why Hagee Feeruz was black. *
-You've always found it difficult (especially as a child) to eat pesteh. *(Sometimes)
-Male=You wish Catherine Bell was your wife because she's half persian and incredible.
-Female=you own a pair of black pants (wtf)
-After 15 years of marriage, your mother still calls your wife "Aroos"
-When they ask "where are you from?" you reply...Italy!!..yet have a "tasbeeh" in your hand.
-Have rice with yogurt using a spoon and fight over its Tahdeeg. *
- Have an "Aaftaabeh in your Toilet" and if not...water in a milk bottle will do just as good.
- Invite friends over for dinner and buy Pizza, yet cook some extra rice...just in case! * (my mum must have done that once!)
- Believe no one else can make Kabaab better than us. **( ITS TRUE)
- Watch Rugby Test Matches, yet play only football over the weekends.
- Being addicted (so much) to "Tea " that you drink it in a big coffee mug. * (not me, but the rest of the family, yes!)
- Have dogs but don't let them come inside the house.
- Complain about everybody's accent, but yours (my dad!)

The ones with the stars I can totally relate in terms of what I have seen, and for the rest that’s for you guys to make your minds up!

BTW : A Persian from America wrote it, so some of it is iffy!
Lol I've read that before, it's on urbandictionary too, it's funny :biggrin:
Reply 28
Actually does anyone really know why hagee ferruz was black??? When I was a kid I never understood why!
OK I wanna take a few of my friends to this Apadana place on Friday.

Hope its not packed or anything! Need a nice cosy place to talk for a few hours.
Erm go earlier in the evening like 6 or 7 ish cause by 10 or 11 the place is live!

Oh and make sure you get the Kebab eh barg and kebab eh koobideh
Oh wait, we're planning to go around lunch. :s-smilie: Didn't think of that! Oh well.

What times are they open anyway? Might just go another time then.
Erm I don't actually know, they should be open at lunch times, but give them a ring if you're not sure, the numbers on this page:

http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/restaurants/restaurant-1812.php
Yep saw that website before and others; none have opening times. Will ring them sometime.

Looking forward to having some Iranian food! I love Turkish and Lebanese food and I'm Asian anyway, so I'll probably like this too. :cool:

Thanks for that dude.
Hey, no problem :P
Reply 35
Salaam everyone!
Good to see persian society is back :smile:

Ok so my question - do you think that the term 'persian' is used because it is more exotic and has more positive connotations than 'iranian'? I personally always call myself iranian...
mangomaz
Salaam everyone!
Good to see persian society is back :smile:

Ok so my question - do you think that the term 'persian' is used because it is more exotic and has more positive connotations than 'iranian'? I personally always call myself iranian...
Wa alaikum salaam!

I think Persian sounds nicer and yeah more exotic that's why I use that more than I use Iranian. :cool:

What do you mean by "Persian" has more positive connotations?
Reply 37
You say iranian and people think of mullahs and nuclear weapons...

Persian and people think of beautiful artwork, carpets and literature. And of course, beautiful women :wink: Basically Iran's rich history.
Reply 38
Did you used to be jusfarhan?....
mangomaz
You say iranian and people think of mullahs and nuclear weapons...

Persian and people think of beautiful artwork, carpets and literature. And of course, beautiful women :wink: Basically Iran's rich history.
Haha, so true! The word 'Iran' today just seems like an evil word. It's been smeared.

Yeah, the first thing that comes to mind when I hear 'Persian' is nice artwork. :biggrin:

I wouldn't know about the beautiful women though :wink: I don't know many Iranians to be honest.

Quick Reply

Latest