The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

DARROCH!

There's lots of events in fresher's where you can meet as many people as you like and you're close to the Leonard's Gym and the Pleasance, also near Arthur's Seat, a great little pub called the Brass Monkey's, Princes Street (and thereby the centre) and George's Square where you'll most likely have most lectures.

The cooking and washing facilities are also good and there exists the great opportunity to laugh at the fire services when they take four trucks out for a little bit of smoke (...). I know about 20 people there tops, personally, but I like all of them and I care very deeply about some in particular. Not that you wouldn't get that at another SC place or even at Pollock but that's just my experience.

You'll also get to hear about your accomodation offer pretty early if I remember right :biggrin:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Darroch is very nice and very popular so it's pretty much filled up by scottish students because they get their results before a-level students and so get their accommodation offers through first. Just a warning. Unless you have an unconditional or something. If you want to be central then look at Kincaid's, Robertson's and College Wynd though they're on cowgate so it's noisy at night as it has a lot of bars and clubs on it. I live in Warrender Park Crescent... it's a bit of a walk but it literally backs on to the meadows which is nice.
awesome, thanks so much.

I think i would like to be pretty central
I hear college Wynd is directly opposite a nightclub? But i'm gonna be a student though right? :biggrin:

well, sleep is kinda important

Darroch court seems to be the Most popular choice of all edinburgh sites so far, but i always liked the look of robertsons close but ill need to have a look.
New Arthur Place looks pretty cool. very close to pleasance?

hmmmm...
Charliewantstogotouni!
awesome, thanks so much.

I think i would like to be pretty central
I hear college Wynd is directly opposite a nightclub? But i'm gonna be a student though right? :biggrin:

well, sleep is kinda important

Darroch court seems to be the Most popular choice of all edinburgh sites so far, but i always liked the look of robertsons close but ill need to have a look.

Yes - a burlesque bar. :p:
Reply 6
It depends what you're looking for. If I had to choose again I would definitely say Warrender Park Crescent. It's not the nearest to George Square, but it only takes between 10 and 15 minutes which is hardly a long time. It's right on the links which is a really nice area, and near to Bruntsfield which, again, is a really nice area. It is definitely the most appealing to the eye too, and probably pretty cheap since it's not right in the centre. I chose Darroch Court as my first choice, but I think it's the most expensive and probably isn't worth it. I didn't think it seemed much better than Robertson's Close or New Arthur Place. Whenever I have been into College Wynd, the stair always smells slightly of pee or disinfectant, and I don't think the accommodation is that nice either. Plus the fact that it's right on the cowgate. I know you're going to be a student but it just depends whether you can cope with sometimes hearing a lot of noise at night. I know I get pretty moody if it's too noisy for me to get to sleep! Anyway, for the price and location I'd definitely choose Warrender Park Crescent.
Reply 7
Robertson's is above Rush (a club), like a few others in the cowgate area but it is very central. Where I'm living, Sciennes, is a perfect location for me. It's right next to the meadows, close to Nicolson st but not right on it and a 10 min walk max to any lecture/tutorial in george square (where a lot of subjects are, espec arts), it's got a dodgy rep but got renovated last year (i think) and certainly isn't rubbish by any means! Only other accommodation i've visited is warrender which is nice but the drawback is it's sometimes a bit of a trek - for example if you're likely to be doing sport down at peffermill it might be a bit inconvenient.
Well im gonna be doing music and maybe languages or something else arty for outside courses, which are all based in george square mostly, er, i think.

I think deep down id like to be central, but im not really massively bothered by how nice looking the place is. Wherever i go, its not gonna be perfect.

not sure i entirely like the idea of living directly ABOVE a nightclub, but cowgate is so cool, in general.

being opposite a burlesque bar sounds interesting. haha.

Are the 3 ones in cowgate all close to each other? ive tried looking on google maps, but its not wonderful.

i will definitely have to go and have a look around.
whatever happens, ILL BE IN EDINBURGH WOOHOO

:biggrin:
Reply 9
If I remember correctly, College Wynd and Kincaid's Court are directly opposite each other. They're both very near Robertson's Close too, couldn't say exactly but probably around a minute's walk. But I think Robertson's Close is comprised of different blocks with different entrances. If you're fine with living on the cowgate then go for one of those. They're central, and even though they might not have the nice scenery of the links like Warrender Park Crescent, if you'd prefer to be very near the uni and other places and don't mind being right next to various nightclubs then they're ideal. I completely forgot about Sciennes, but I have heard good things of it so that's another one to consider. I definitely think Darroch Court isn't worth the extra money. Anyway, it sounds like you have your heart set on living in one of the accommodations in cowgate. If I had to choose one I'd say I prefer Robertson's Close. Buttttt... when you go to have your look around Edinburgh, I seriously think you should have a look at Warrender Park Crescent, purely for the pretty location.
Reply 10
Although to be honest Edinburgh accommodation is utter pot luck anyway! and as you say, you'll be happy wherever! I applied to Darroch, Robertsons and New Arthur and ended up in Sciennes, and I absolutely love it so I don't think it's too important - it's the self catered/catered decision that matters more.
Thankyou. I totally agree, and self catered is DEFINITELY my choice. I cant think of anything worse than being catered!! But thats a personal thing and other peoples decisions are totally their own.

I will deffo go and have a look at all of them

How far away is warrender park crescent? oh no, hang on, sorry you said 10 - 15 minutes. well thats hardly BAD is it? Are there buses?

god i love the buses in edinburgh :biggrin: haha. theyre brilliant.

yeah my friend lives in sciennes and she loves it. hmmmm.
Reply 12
Bex.
Although to be honest Edinburgh accommodation is utter pot luck anyway!

Haha definitely.

I'd recommend seeing Hermit's Croft too since noone has already said it.

S/C no doubt though!
Hermit's croft just sounds funny :smile:
It's right on cowgate as well! Do you live there? Nice? Noisy?
Oh no, sorry hang on. thats wrong. argh google maps... soz
TheeHelenine
Yes - a burlesque bar. :p:

Siglo's not really a burlesque bar. I worked there for 2 months. It's a craphole, but it's not a burlesque bar, it just calls itself one.

Anyway my advice is get Darroch if you can, stay away from Cowgate (far too noisy at 3am every night of the week - ooh no I think Siglo's open till 5 now), and all the rest are pretty much of a muchness. Hermit's Croft is quite nice, and New Arthur Place, really good locations. I'm in South Clerk Street and it's ok. It's quite a big building so you'll know plenty of people.
Reply 17
Does anyone have any recommendations for catered? Self-catered sounds really fun but I can't cook at all lol and my sister went catered nd said it was really good.
I dont know anything about the catered apart from its all called pollock halls and its directly under arthurs seat :smile: so beautiful scenery :smile:

On the topic on accomodation, when do you reccommend filling it in and replying?
In the email from edinburgh it says from feb, but im going up to LOOK at accommodation in march.

Am i gonna put to the bottom of the list?
Reply 19
totallyme
Does anyone have any recommendations for catered? Self-catered sounds really fun but I can't cook at all lol and my sister went catered nd said it was really good.

Good = convenient sor tof, but the food does get dull and boring after awhile. It would not win awards for the meals provided. Also unlike other uni's that I visited the meals are only available at specific times... So if you're late getting back from a lab at the King's Bldgs - unlucky. Pollock Halls even though they have kitchens they don't provide ANY cooking facilities, so even on the weekends if you wanted to cook something up late at night, just eggs or pasta or anything you can't.. So we ended up eating out quite abit in first yr since I kept missing the meal times.

Latest

Trending

Trending