The Student Room Group

out of 5 offers (UCAS) how many of them can you accept? by may?

HI guys

I want to ask some questions again,

Firstly, When I got my offer ( all 5) I have to reply whether I accept the offer or reject it, and some people said I can reply to the 5 offers by the deadline, which I heard was in may,

From 5 offers, how many of them can you reply? (Accept) because my offer is conditional.

The universities I picked, some have higher entry requirements for IB and some are bit lower (encase I can not get the required points that I hoped).

So how many offers can you reply? Can you reply (accept) 5 of them?

Because official IB result comes in July and I have to reply by may

What do I do now?
You can pick 2, 1 firm and 1 insurance. Insurance normally has lower entry requirements than your firm cause it's your backup.
Reply 2
You make one university your firm choice - that means that if you meet the requirements of that offer, then you go there.

You make another university your insurance choice - that means that if you miss the requirements of your firm offer, but meet the requirements of your insurance, you go to your insurance university.

All your other universities are rejected by default.

Once you have made a university your firm choice, if you meet the grades of that offer, then you have to go there - you cannot choose to go to your insurance thus it is pointless making your insurance university one with higher grades than your firm.
Reply 3
What you do is you accept a 'Firm' and an 'Insurance' during May

So basically you pick your favourite/best university which offers the course you want with the grades you plan to obtain.

You then pick an 'Insurance', which is an offer that is lower then your predicted grade (usually) and would be one you would go to IF you fail to get the grades you want/need to claim your 'Firm' university offer.

Basically you can only pick two from the five and it doesn't matter that your results come out in July; you still have to pick a firm and an insurance offer.

Hope that makes sense!
tomoli
You make one university your firm choice - that means that if you meet the requirements of that offer, then you go there.

You make another university your insurance choice - that means that if you miss the requirements of your firm offer, but meet the requirements of your insurance, you go to your insurance university.

All your other universities are rejected by default.

Once you have made a university your firm choice, if you meet the grades of that offer, then you have to go there - you cannot choose to go to your insurance thus it is pointless making your insurance university one with higher grades than your firm.

just out of curiosity what would happen if all your unis gave you the same offer (eg all AAB) or if you dont meet the requirements of any uni?
dramaminedreams
just out of curiosity what would happen if all your unis gave you the same offer (eg all AAB) or if you dont meet the requirements of any uni?

You go into clearing.
Reply 6
If all of your unis gave you the same offer then you can still choose firm and insurance in the same way, though it might be worth investigating which unis are more likely to still accept youif you miss your offer slightly (some can be convinced by a phonecall...though this shouldn't be accepted!). If you don't meet the requirements of any uni, or you are rejected by them all...thenI should imagine it's clearing or reapplication....? As I don't plan to do that i'm not CERTAIN though....!
Reply 7
Yer you go into clearing which is basically where all the unis who still have places left on their courses advertise them and you apply some of these places. To be honest though, you will not pick up a place at a good uni for a competitive course bceause they will have been oversubcribed anyway. Most people take a gap year and reapply.
Reply 8
If you've just missed your offer, you can call the university up and they might reconsider you. However, they're under no obligation to do so, so clearing is a genuine possibility.
If you miss your offer........you beg them to take you in ^^. Or go into clearing, or take a gap year.
Reply 10
yea. tho some competitive courses from top unis may be still in clearing (tiny chance)
Reply 11
so what if u get dont get ur first choice grades, but u'd rather not go to ur insurance. cant u go to another uni u got an offer for and u got the grades for
Reply 12
jeevat
so what if u get dont get ur first choice grades, but u'd rather not go to ur insurance. cant u go to another uni u got an offer for and u got the grades for

No, because at that stage you'll have rejected that uni.
No.

If you don't want to go to your insurance, then why would you make it your insurance?
Reply 14
Nope. And you even have to ask to be released from your insurance. They can technically refuse to release you and then you're not allowed to enter clearing (because you technically have a place to go to) so you can't go to uni that year.