The Student Room Group

The big fat STEP megathread (NOT for getting help with maths questions)

Scroll to see replies

Grade boundaries were as follows
STEP I S(81)-1(66)=-2(49)-3(36)
STEP II S(95)-1(67)-2(56)-3(35)
STEP III S(86)-1(64)-2(52)-3(35)

:eek: the chances of me meeting my offer are looking slim :frown:.
Reply 61
squeezebox

Have you started looking at STEP papers yet?
Adthegreat
Have you started looking at STEP papers yet?

Yup
squeezebox

Give it six months, you'll start getting used to it. :p: (Tragically, I'm not really joking.)
Reply 64
squeezebox
Yup

As Generalebriety says any new format of maths question is going to take time to adjust to, you'll get there in the end, your obviously a good mathematician or you wouldn't have the offer!
Thanks for the advice :smile:

I guess it all seems a bit out of reach at the moment, hopefully with practise I will feel more confident.
Reply 66
squeezebox
Thanks for the advice :smile:

I guess it all seems a bit out of reach at the moment, hopefully with practise I will feel more confident.

Don't worry - I'm feeling just like that right now...

We'll get there in the end!:biggrin:
For the attention of generalebriety
I have tried to attach a zip file of solutions for STEP 1990. don't know whether i have done it correctly
Yep, that's right. Thanks. :smile:
Reply 69
Anyone know where I could get 2002 solutions from? None of the stated websites have them.
Reply 70
Not even Meikleriggs? It should be there.
Does anyone have copies of the question papers for 1987,1988 and 1989 that they would be prepared to forward to me? if so please send to
Please don't post emails on the forum
Reply 72
I have some general questions on STEP:

about how far into the a-level course can I begin to look into Step questions, considering i'm doing maths in yr 12 (now) and further in yr 13.

How useful is Step in terms of bridging material between a-levels to uni maths, i still haven't decided on which to apply to out of Oxbridge, but if i do apply to oxford, i was considering taking Step just to prepare me for uni, yet my teacher says that would be unnecessary hassle and pressure, and that i should just concentrate on getting my A's views?
Reply 73
cvat
about how far into the a-level course can I begin to look into Step questions, considering i'm doing maths in yr 12 (now) and further in yr 13.

I wouldn't bother until the summer/when you're at least half way through C4.
Swayam
I wouldn't bother until the summer/when you're at least half way through C4.

Some questions are doable with less knowledge than that... I'd say that you can start looking at questions whenever you feel like it, and if you don't understand them, then don't worry.
Reply 75
ah thanks i guess i'll have a look at them after summer modules,

about my second question how good can STEP be considered as bridging material or are there better methods out there?
Reply 76
If you don't actually intend to sit for STEP (or participate in the BMO, or take the AEA), an alternative idea would be to get undergraduate-level texts and start learning those topics. Real analysis, for example, or abstract algebra.
Could someone let me have a copy of 1993 fmB please.
Please post to
Mod edit: Please don't post email addresses on the public forum

Thank You.
I am getting quite a few 1989 questions out. How about starting a thread for them?

I am getting quite a few 1989 questions out. How about starting a thread for them?

I don't have the paper(s), could you (or anyone who has them) email me them pretty please? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest