The Student Room Group

If a guy calls you "babe"..guys opinions please

And he never used to call you "babe" ..does it in anyway mean he is feeling more affectionate towards you?also..when you act like you dont care/not interested/say its not working but then see us with other guys and you cant stop staring in that puppydog way what the hell does that mean!!! Im confused!! oh yeh and one more thing whats with the never txting us we have to txt you :P

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My flatmate calls me darling

My other gay flatmate calls me babe sometimes

Some other guys call me babe too. It doesnt mean they like me. It is simply a term of affection

If guys like you, believe me they text you
"babe" should be reserved for couples only. I hate when random people call me babe...I mean, why would you?!
...my mind is blank, I totally don't get what you're saying about the texting lmao. Do you mean guys never text, its always girls who do? Hmm...I don't know about that, I know a load of guys who text...and the girls don't lol.

When someone says they're not interested, and then they start looking at you like Puss in Boots, I think its safe to say that they like you.

As for the babe thing...uh, maybe it's affectionate. Depends if you've ever given off that type of signal. Maybe he's just giving the signal back. Or maybe, he's just more comfortable around you than he used to be.

I was walking through the city yesterday, and this hot girl approached me trying to flog Simcards....she called me darling, I just walked off.
I call people 'dear' quite a lot. Doesn't mean I fancy them, it's just a friendly affection thing :smile:

... and I also don't agree with the texting thing :P
Reply 5
blackswan
"babe" should be reserved for couples only. I hate when random people call me babe...I mean, why would you?!

:ditto: i hate 'pet' and 'love' as well. Those people should be shot.

as for the OP...don't think about things so much! :p:
Generally I find that if a guy likes you, he texts you. But then my boyfriend always leaves his phone places, like his bag, or his car. And then he doesn't get it when I'm annoyed that he didn't text me sooner/at all. I think he's just getting lazy :smile:
I only like being called 'babe' by my boyfriend, although I prefer it when he calls me 'darling', doesn't leave me feeling so much like a chav teen wife or a little talking pig.
If guys are interested they will text back, and most guys will text back even out of politeness (well if they are half-decent IMO). I call my best girlmates allsorts of affectionate names. Babe, hun, doll, princess, pet, etc. Some like them, others dont and thats fine. I guess its cus i get called loads of nicknames too. I use it purely because its more personal than just saying "Hey", or "Heya" and less boring than saying "Hey Julia", or "Heya Mary"

And yes, the im-not-interested to puppy-eyes look is my defence mechanism for when im pretty much blown away by someone, but cant help staring at them :biggrin:
Reply 8
Gah my boyfriend's recently started calling me babe- I hate it even when he calls me it!
Reply 9
Smudge™
...my mind is blank, I totally don't get what you're saying about the texting lmao. Do you mean guys never text, its always girls who do? Hmm...I don't know about that, I know a load of guys who text...and the girls don't lol.

When someone says they're not interested, and then they start looking at you like Puss in Boots, I think its safe to say that they like you.

As for the babe thing...uh, maybe it's affectionate. Depends if you've ever given off that type of signal. Maybe he's just giving the signal back. Or maybe, he's just more comfortable around you than he used to be.

I was walking through the city yesterday, and this hot girl approached me trying to flog Simcards....she called me darling, I just walked off.

yep definately like puss in boots :P what i meant with the babe thing (this is for everyone on the thread)is that we were dating about a month ago and he never called me babe,we stopped dating because we just didnt have time and trivial stuff happened*ahem lol* when i txt him the other day he called me babe which was weird because we hadnt spoken for ages :s-smilie:..but i guess not all guys are the same on the txting issue,he did used to txt me now and again,but now he doesnt so i guess i should take the hint yeh?lol
I'd take the hint. :frown: Though, it doesn't sound like either of you is the "bad guy". Perhaps he just used the word to...I dunno, suggest maybe you could still be friends. If he hadn't have used the word and just texted "hey". I think that's too damn bland.

Also sometimes, those type of words just come out. For example, in real life...I never use the word "mate". But when I text, it's everywhere.
yeh i think its just one of those things, it wasnt working we are both way too busy but we still think the world of each other:smile:,i just need to stop thinking it will go beyond friendship,and stop trying to read every sign because i know in my head its not the right time!!thanks smudge:smile::hugs:
Haha reminds me of the other topic about guys getting called cute.

Usually means he likes you, whether as a friend, or more is up to u to find out,.
Reply 13
I hate the word 'babe'. It just seems more vulgar to me and i wouldn't call a girl i genuinely liked 'babe'. Darling is so much nicer :suith: or sweetheart if it was at an advanced stage :love: or just friend :s-smilie: Anything but babe.
Reply 14
LooksLikeJesus
I call people 'dear' quite a lot. Doesn't mean I fancy them, it's just a friendly affection thing :smile:

Heh, glad I'm not the only one, though I tend only to use it for people who are good friends.
Reply 15
I find "babe" derogatory, but that's just me. Or it can be patronising. But hm in a text it can be a lot more casual so maybe it's just affectionate.
darlin makes me cringe, babe rubs, i can sadly say i do say "cheers luv occaisionally.
Queenkerosene
And he never used to call you "babe" ..does it in anyway mean he is feeling more affectionate towards you?also..when you act like you dont care/not interested/say its not working but then see us with other guys and you cant stop staring in that puppydog way what the hell does that mean!!! Im confused!! oh yeh and one more thing whats with the never txting us we have to txt you :P

I always see babe as showing less like.
although after telling a guy i had a crush on him, and him admitting the same he started calling me babe.

If my boyfriend did it though, i would personally string him up by his...unmentionables :P. I find it extremely disrespectful and weird.

When we first started texting he used to do that.
So i sent him a few helpful ones back like.
What is my name.
And when he replied with my name, okay then use it :P.

Jeez. Surprised we are together lol.
Reply 18
On a similar note...If a girl starts a text with "hey hun" that means she likes you right?
ben16
On a similar note...If a girl starts a text with "hey hun" that means she likes you right?

Not necessarily, but it does mean she doesn't hate you :smile:

Personally, I hate "babe", and hate "babes" even more. The only people who call me that are my most vapid acquaintances.

Pet makes me feel like a puppy, and love's all right, but clearly insincere. Hon/sweetie is what most of my best mates call me, and darling is reserved for relationships.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending