The Student Room Group

Grades, First, 2-1, 2/2?

Just wondering what those types of grades would be numbers wise? I'm an American student, but studying abroad and our professor was talking about grades and used that terminology but on our papers there were numbers using the 1-100 scale. I didn't get a chance to ask and was just wondering the numbers that correlate with firsts, 2-1, and so on?

Thanks!
Reply 1
1st (First) is 70% and over
2:1 (upper second class) is 60% and over
2:2 (lower second class) is 50% and over
3rd (Third) is 40% and over
Below 40% is a fail

In relation to our GCSE's and A Levels, the grades are roughly
A- 80% and over
B- 70% and over
C- 60% and over
D- 50% and over
E- 40% and over
Under 40% is a fail

So roughly
1st is A/B
2:1 is B/C
2:2 is C/D
3rd is D/E

Something i've always wanted to know- how does your schooling system work? Like what ages is high school, and the freshman/senior/sophomore years, cos i haven't got a clue how they work! Maybe it's really simple but i just get confused :-S
Reply 2
Hey --- thanks for the reply :-D I really appreciate it.

So for us, it generally works this way.

We have elementary school, which includes kindergarten at age 5 all the way to 5th grade which is when you are about 10.

Middle School (Ages 11-13 or so):
7th, 8th, 9th grades

High School (Ages 14-17/18):
9th, 10th, 11th, 12th grade

I hear you guys have "college" over there which is the last two years, but for us "college" is synonymous with the term uni basically. We have "community college" or cc, which is used sometimes for the first two years instead of uni for people who either can't get into a good uni out of high school, or it is a cheaper option because they can do the first two years of uni at a "cc" because for us, the first two years are just general education everyone needs to take. Then they can transfer to a big uni.

For us, uni is 4 years, the first two being taken up by general education courses (which have some sort of relation to your course, but includes many others) and the last two are primarily used to focus on your course. Over there you guys pick one course --- we have "majors" and "minors." People can double major, ie get two degrees, or major and minor or any combination of the two. A "minor" is not a full degree, but shows that you have some sort of specialized education in the area.

For our grading system, we usual go all the way to 100%. We assign letters to our grading system as well. So, an A is 90-100%, 80-89% is a B, 70-79% is a C, and a 60%-69% is a D and below that is an F for fail. Interesting how we don't use E's? Heh.

Hope that helps!!! :smile: Thanks again.

snail_87
1st (First) is 70% and over
2:1 (upper second class) is 60% and over
2:2 (lower second class) is 50% and over
3rd (Third) is 40% and over
Below 40% is a fail

In relation to our GCSE's and A Levels, the grades are roughly
A- 80% and over
B- 70% and over
C- 60% and over
D- 50% and over
E- 40% and over
Under 40% is a fail

So roughly
1st is A/B
2:1 is B/C
2:2 is C/D
3rd is D/E

Something i've always wanted to know- how does your schooling system work? Like what ages is high school, and the freshman/senior/sophomore years, cos i haven't got a clue how they work! Maybe it's really simple but i just get confused :-S
Reply 3
Thank you snail_87 I did now know that before ... and thank you TB272 for asking
Reply 4
Thank you, very much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending