The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
AP - Advanced Placement. Also done by the SAT makers ETS aka Evil Testing Service
Reply 2
Chriz
Also done by the SAT makers ETS aka Evil Testing Service

So its not just me who dislikes the College Board?
Reply 3
I think most US students + 99.99% international students dislike College Board. I mean, on top of irrelevant & exploited tests, they are damn expensive.
AP is the closest you come, but it's not really an equivalent. APs are one year courses for one thing.

ETS are effectively a monopoly, and they enjoy non-profit tax status. The ACT is making inroads in the pre-college market.
There are three types of tests which Universities look at: AP tests, ACT, and SAT.

I never took any AP tests, but took both the SAT and ACT. So, it isn't really a requirement for AP, like A-levels are for University in UK
Reply 6
In terms of a national advanced curriculum, there really is nothing like that here. It's not like US Department of Education has "Freedom-Tests"/"No Child Left Untested" Program for high school students that's standardized. We just don't do it here. We have standardized tests at the State level (I take Maryland High School Assessments in four subjects in order to get my MD State Board of Ed. high school diploma), but that's different for every state. We just haven't nationalized and standardized education like y'all have done abroad.

But in terms of rigor of classes, I would say that AP is the most popular American equivalent. But in general, US education really sucks. We just can't perform to an international standard at a K-12 level. That's why I'm in IB.
I agree with you entirely. The HSA is pretty basic and although the AP is of a better standard, AP is a one year course. I took the IB partly for the same reasons.

By the way, do you think that No Child Left Behind (No Child's Behind Left) is going to be reauthorized? I sure hope not.
dismal_laundry
I agree with you entirely. The HSA is pretty basic and although the AP is of a better standard, AP is a one year course. I took the IB partly for the same reasons.

By the way, do you think that No Child Left Behind (No Child's Behind Left) is going to be reauthorized? I sure hope not.

Not trying to get on a tangent here, but NCLB is a ridiculous thing. It tries to socialize the Public Education by making everyone on the same level. The smart ones will get dumber and the dumb ones MIGHT get smarter.
Reply 9
Chriz
I think most US students + 99.99% international students dislike College Board. I mean, on top of irrelevant & exploited tests, they are damn expensive.

You could go on and on with the problems of College Board. Someday a top college (Harvard) will stand up to them and things may change.
Let's say I got E in A level chemistry and got good marks in SAT (II) chemistry,Will I be eliglible for the scholarship.
largebrandon
There are three types of tests which Universities look at: AP tests, ACT, and SAT.

I never took any AP tests, but took both the SAT and ACT. So, it isn't really a requirement for AP, like A-levels are for University in UK

ACT means what? I don't understand.I appreciate you if i am clear.
The ACT is a test for entrance to US Universities. It is similar in nature with the SAT, in that it is an entrance exam, more or less. However, some schools ask for ACT/SAT rather than the other (but some with take both). More schools towards the Mid-West like the ACT better than the SAT, and more schools on the East Coast like the SAT better.

The test itself is very different than the SAT: It has four sections (1. Reading Comprehension; 2. Maths; 3. Science Reasoning; 4. English); You have no penalties for guess (which you do in the SAT); and it scores from 1-36.
roshanhero
Let's say I got E in A level chemistry and got good marks in SAT (II) chemistry,Will I be eliglible for the scholarship.

Ummm no.
largebrandon
The ACT is a test for entrance to US Universities. It is similar in nature with the SAT, in that it is an entrance exam, more or less. However, some schools ask for ACT/SAT rather than the other (but some with take both). More schools towards the Mid-West like the ACT better than the SAT, and more schools on the East Coast like the SAT better.

The test itself is very different than the SAT: It has four sections (1. Reading Comprehension; 2. Maths; 3. Science Reasoning; 4. English); You have no penalties for guess (which you do in the SAT); and it scores from 1-36.

No penalties for guess,that means through the reasonings will it be correct.
My A level grades are as follows-
Maths-B
General paper (AS)-c
Physics-D
Chemistry-E
My IELTS score is 7.5 and if I get over 2100 in SAT am I eligible for the scholarship in US.
Reply 16
Thanks for the information
Reply 17
you can get your a levels evaluated for us college credit (not sure how much though- i didnt get my results from them yet)... ece- education credential evaluators is one of the better known...
roshanhero
My A level grades are as follows-
Maths-B
General paper (AS)-c
Physics-D
Chemistry-E
My IELTS score is 7.5 and if I get over 2100 in SAT am I eligible for the scholarship in US.

Those are not good grades, to be honest. In an American environment where financial aid of any kind for overseas undergraduates is rare and highly competitive, I don't think you would be successful. You can probably work in part time employment while you are studying.
Reply 19
just to keep you updated... I spoke to ece, they are working on my evaluation, I asked to speak to the evaluator... and asked him for an estimate of the credits, here's what he told me:
for AS in graphics= 5 semester credits
A2 graphics= 10 credits
BTEC National Award in digital media= 9 credits
I don't really understand why the btec is so few credits, he said that because it's more vocational. I personally found it harder than the A level!
I told him I recently received an award for coming out one of the top five in the country... he said that as long as you pass you get the same amount of credits.
I hope this info is productive to everyone!

Latest

Trending

Trending