The Student Room Group

Cambridge Law Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Niph
I applied for that at Emmanuel.. got pooled though so probably out of the running for that n__n;;

I hope you get a pleasant surprise!

How was you interview (mine would be in March), did you have to speak a lot of french? DId they ask you specific law questions ...
Reply 41
thegluups
I hope you get a pleasant surprised!

How was you interview (mine would be in March), did you have to speak a lot of french? DId they ask you specific law questions ...

Thanks.. but I'm not putting any hope on it P;

They say that it's supposed to be half-English half-French but actually mine was totally in French.. I did my 'presentation' and then we talked about issues relating to it, had to give my opinion and stuff.. didn't really talk about specific law. It wasn't as scary as I thought it would be, and the interviewers were very nice. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine! :smile:
Niph
Thanks.. but I'm not putting any hope on it P;

They say that it's supposed to be half-English half-French but actually mine was totally in French.. I did my 'presentation' and then we talked about issues relating to it, had to give my opinion and stuff.. didn't really talk about specific law. It wasn't as scary as I thought it would be, and the interviewers were very nice. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine! :smile:

What was your "presentation" on? Was it some kind of article?

For example, I'd be doing the opposite of you, a presentation in english ... so would be sometihng from The Economist or something along those lines>
Reply 43
It was sort of based on an article but I didn't mention it specifically.. they don't really mind what subject you do as long as it's 'current', I think.. I talked about education n__n;
Niph
It was sort of based on an article but I didn't mention it specifically.. they don't really mind what subject you do as long as it's 'current', I think.. I talked about education n__n;

You've lost me ... you have to prepare some sort of presentation BEFORE the interview???
I'm lost ... none of that was mentioned on the french website ...

PS : sorry if my questions sound and probably are extremely silly!!
Reply 45
Really? Maybe you don't have to do it then (although that would be rather unfair ¬__¬:wink:~ it tells you about it on the Cambridge DM site. You're allowed to take notes and things with you~
Reply 46
Solemn Wanderer
Just to clarify, this is not actually a permissible conclusion. The college admissions process is entirely separate from that for the Maitrise. A stellar performance in the assessment for the Maitrise counts for nothing unless and until you're admitted by a college in the normal way. So if you're pooled, that means you're borderline for an offer for the BA itself - but for all you know, if you get 'fished' you'd get on to the Maitrise easily.

Really? That gives me a little hope (but then not that much 'cause it all depends on getting an offer for the BA anyway..). Thanks for telling me :smile:
Reply 47
:party: I found a current cambridge law student roaming around TSR and pointed this thread out to him :party:

We have someone to swamp with out questions now :biggrin:
Reply 48
It's possible that the LNAT could be out any day now...I think I read somewhere that for some people they got released around this time last year. We'll just get the score for our multiple choice, and not the essay, right (obviously this has the potential of being marked differently by every university it was sent to)?

Btw, are people applying for vac. schemes, and if so where? I've applied to all the solicitors firms and chambers in Brum as I figured I might as well just try out for everything. I had to leave my applications a bit late because I had a bunch of work to do over the Christmas holidays, but so long as they don't do rolling assessments, and look at everyone after the deadline, then just because my submission is 'late' (in my eyes) shouldn't affect me.

Also, there's a Facebook group I've made (for Cam. law) if anyone's interested...http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7108618343
Reply 49
-hides from LNAT result- :ninja:
Reply 50
Solemn Wanderer
Ad-Alta, the LNAT essay will be in your file so if you want it back you could always write to the college and ask if they'll send you a copy. :smile: There's nothing more irritating than writing a scintillating work of genius in an exam and knowing you'll never see it again.

Ah, I didn't know that! No, it's not like it was that awesome or anything, it would just be funny to see what comments I got on it, but it's no big deal. I wouldn't want to piss the college off by writing and asking for it, especially at a time of year when they probably have enough paperwork anyway (they're still probably dealing with all the postgraduate applications).

Btw which questions did people answer? I did the one about older women's rights to have children and just blabbed on about egg freezing and stuff - so I kind of answered the question, but not if people know what I mean :biggrin:
Reply 51
Every lnat test was different so i don't think anyone answered the same essay...
Reply 52
Aren't we meant to not talk about it until the deadline is over? :s-smilie:
Reply 53
Niph
Aren't we meant to not talk about it until the deadline is over? :s-smilie:

heh yep - or not even talk about it at all :ninja:
Reply 54
Well yeah - I'm sure revealing the exact question might be detrimental, but if all tests are different then what's the biggie? I don't really understand how they can *all* be different, unless they have a huge bank of thousands of questions and then randomly generate 8 for each individual. Anyway, I can't remember it - I was just saying what it was vaguely about and how I answered it. For all you know I might have completely made it up :-D

Also what about the practice tests? Are you not allowed to discuss how you might've answered those if you'd done them in passing? And how exactly do they manage to enforce that rule when friends taking the LNAT are *obviously* going to talk about which questions they answered...I don't know, I suppose there are a lot of laws/rules that it is very hard to actively enforce (age of consent, anybody? :-D)

Anyhoo, didn't mean to get into a ding-dong about legalities - was just trying to make conversation :-p
Reply 55
Us lawyers are a quiet bunch :p:
Reply 56
Only a couple more days 'til the LNAT can be expected...!
Reply 57
Ad-Alta
Only a couple more days 'til the LNAT can be expected...!

Can't wait :biggrin: I wanna know how badly I've done lol
Is anyone doing the Law with French Law thing? I know Niph was, but unfortunatly he didn't get an offer ...
I got rejected for it...i think there are only 6 places

Quick Reply

Latest