The Student Room Group

Most difficult course to get onto?

I am applying for veterinary medicine/science and seriously think it is the hardest course to get onto. I think it requires not only the grades, but:
- most work experience
- most knowledge on profession, current issues etc.
- most interview preparation - w/e related, current issues, knowledge of course, ethical issues, etc.

I would just like to know other people's opinions on the hardest course to get onto.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Originality is pretty tough to get into these days.
Reply 2
Yep, vet medicine is definitely up there, along with medicine and law I suppose.
iv heard vet med is the hardest, followed by med, and then oxbridge. vetmed at oxbridge is my guess :eek:

physics is definately up there aswell. its possibly harder than med
Reply 4
Economics is probably the most competitive as universities don't have any entrance exam scores to distinguish between students.
this might be wrong, but i heard that getting into the eco course at LSE was more difficult than getting into any course at oxbridge..
Reply 6
Med/Vet, Law, Economics, English and History are commonly seen as the most competitive (with Medicine perhaps the most) as far as I can remember. Will try and find statistics..
Reply 7
I'm thinking, just in terms of courses, not courses at specific unis, vet med is surely the hardest, it requires more work experience than medicine, more knowledge of the profession than for law, and interviews are required whichever uni you apply to.
Reply 8
Don't forget Dentistry! I'd say almost as competitive as Vet, and a lot more competitive then Med imo.
Reply 9
PHKnows
iv heard vet med is the hardest, followed by med, and then oxbridge. vetmed at oxbridge is my guess :eek:

physics is definitely up there aswell. its possibly harder than med

I thought Physics wasn't that popular? :s-smilie:

But I guess everyone that applied for it tends to be good/into it making the competition harder.
Reply 10
Physics is quite undersubscribed in a lot of Universities..
lovenlivelife
this might be wrong, but i heard that getting into the eco course at LSE was more difficult than getting into any course at oxbridge..

understandable as its the best for the course
Reply 12
I've applied for English and creative writing, and it is fiercely competitive. For some of the unis I applied to, I had to send in some examples of my writing. For one of them I need 4 poems and 7 pages of prose!
jobo3
I thought Physics wasn't that popular? :s-smilie:

But I guess everyone that applied for it tends to be good/into it making the competition harder.

sorry, forgot the thread title. I meant hard to do. But yeah, its not that popular
Reply 14
Admonitor
Med/Vet, Law, Economics, English and History are commonly seen as the most competitive (with Medicine perhaps the most) as far as I can remember. Will try and find statistics..

I would second this entirely, but I'd be reluctant to put History up in the same list as Medicine, Law, Economics and English. It does seem more popular than many other humanities courses, but I wouldn't say it's quite reached the level of the others. I would rank it alongside courses like Psychology.

Otherwise, I think you're pretty much got it with Med/Vet, Law, Economics and English. It depends on the institution as well of course. There are, of course, institutions at which courses other than those listed above are very competitive.

So, for example, whilst Imperial might be a very competitive institution overall, I'm assuming some courses in their humanities department aren't as competitive as say, the same course somewhere else, partly because Imperial isn't as well known for their Art in the twentieth century course as their Physics course, for example.
Reply 15
Maybe in terms of competition, veterinary isn't top, but I think in terms of the amount of work required to get onto the course (work experience, knowledge of profession, current issues, ethical issues) it is surely top
http://www.ucas.ac.uk/about_us/stat_services/stats_online/data_tables/appsaccpssubs/appsaccpssubs2006/

Useful link about difficulty to get into certain subjects. According to that V1 (fairly standard prefix, and most common for History courses) is as popular, if not more than M1 Law, or Q3 English (the most popular linguistics/Law courses by number applying). It's quite interesting actually seeing how small some courses are, like Material Sciences with 11.1 applicants per place.
Reply 17
Yeah, when I saw this thread medicine immediately popped into my mind. And rightly so, really. Medicine is easily one of the most demanding, and probably THE most important careers in the country, so it makes sense that the courses leading to it are selective.
Planto
Yeah, when I saw this thread medicine immediately popped into my mind. And rightly so, really. Medicine is easily one of the most demanding, and probably THE most important careers in the country, so it makes sense that the courses leading to it are selective.

Yup, Medicine and subjects "Allied to Medicine" are the most competitive according to that list anyway.
Reply 19
That list doesn't tell you the whole story. Courses like Law, Economics and English are ONLY competitive at the best universities aka top 10 in the country. Provided you have the grades for these subjects, you will most probably get an offer from a university outside the top 10 list.

Latest