Reply 45
Hylean
UCL is better... :ninja:

better ranking or what?
Reply 46
Clarix
better ranking or what?

Better cause it teaches Icelandic. :biggrin:

Aside from my personal bias, it has a better library, more links with Scandinavia, more Scandinavians in the city itself, etc.

UCL's one down side is that many of the Unis that it has an erasmus agreement with aren't fully keen on it because it has a requirement that the scand. exchange students spent half their units in the scand. dept. Sort of structures them a bit too much, but the reasoning behind it is so us students actually have some Scandies around to talk with and improve our language with.

But yeah, it's also better ranking. That said, Edinburgh is a fine uni in its own right.
Reply 47
and does UCL has anu other down sides practicaly?
Reply 48
Yeah well, but Edinburgh rocks! :biggrin: London is just way too big so even if the city is full of Scandies it's not like you're bumping into them all the time.
Reply 49
Clarix
Yeah well, but Edinburgh rocks! :biggrin: London is just way too big so even if the city is full of Scandies it's not like you're bumping into them all the time.

You are if you go to the Embassy parties the dept. gets invited to or the Swedish quarter, etc. :p:
Reply 50
Yes, where is the Swedish quarter? Sounds creepy.
Reply 51
Clarix
Yes, where is the Swedish quarter? Sounds creepy.

Near Baker Street. Swedish church, pub, shops, etc.
Reply 52
Hylean
Near Baker Street. Swedish church, pub, shops, etc.

good to know :smile:
You're doing a great job of boosting UCL and the SS Dept Hylean...keep it up!!
Reply 54
klika89
and does UCL has anu other down sides practicaly?

It's in London, always a factor. Expensive but if you get a student loan, it's okay.
Reply 55
heya fellow scandinavian, well dane here hehe :smile:.
the swedish pub havencourt arms it great :biggrin:
this weekend there be the first round of European songcontest qualification for sweden. should be great fun to see :smile:
and the swedish shop.. well im going there for myfirst time on satuday coz other times ive passed by it's been closed, but this time i will b early :P

also there is a danish YMCA and a church that organises different events and guest speakers. saw a danish politican there two or three weeks ago.

i do part of my module in the Scandinavian Department, ICelandic, otherwise my degree is Geography.
But we had a cool trip to the Icelandic Ambassador's Residecne, and all the free drinks we wanted hehe :smile:
and i love it, i help the people in my icelandic class with their danish homework. it's like being in first grade again :smile:
Reply 56
There's a really good cafeteria near Broadcasting House (originally entitled Scandinavian Kitchen) that I can recommend. Good for lunch. They also have a good selection of groceries, even including diary products - so you can stock up on fil. Friendly staff too and a selection of Scandinavian newspapers. Last time I was there, I would estimate that 2/3 of my fellow lunch-eaters were Scandinavian ex-pats.
Reply 57
Anyone who's doing Scand studies at Edinburgh and can tell me a bit about it? Could be interesting :smile:
Reply 58
Clarix
Anyone who's doing Scand studies at Edinburgh and can tell me a bit about it? Could be interesting :smile:

Don't think there's anyone on here doing SS at Edinburgh :s-smilie: Either that or they've been hiding!
Just Hylean doing a bit (read:lot) of shameless UCL promotion!

Anyway, hopefully someone will prove me wrong, would be nice to hear more about SS at Edinburgh; there's not that much on their website...

C-
Reply 59
Oh, that's a shame! :frown: Haha, he does indeed. Yes, there is very little information on the website actually :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending