The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

MSc Finance vs. MSc Accounting & Finance

Hi all,

I just got an offer from MSc Finance (full-time) today. I am interested in doing m&a work at an investment bank after graduation, but I am not sure which program would be a better fit for me. I am currently debating whether I should call LSE and tell them to consider me for MSc Accounting & Finance or not. I am studying in the US now and I can't get much information here. I need your help!

MSc Finance (full-time)
Merits
1. I can study "corporate finance" in depth
2. networking opportunities with part-time students
3. only 50 people are in the program (not sure if this program will be seen as more selective)
Disadvantages
1. 5000 pounds more!
2. it's a new program, and i don't know how employers will perceive it

MSc Accounting & Finance
Merits
1. well established program, great reputation
2. only took one accounting class in college, but accounting is very important for investment banking jobs
3. 5000 pounds cheaper!
Disadvantages
1. only 2 corporate finance classes, and I took some corp fin at undergrad level

How do people (professors, students, etc) at LSE perceive MSc Finance (full-time)? Is it seen as a new and "special" program, or just a new attempt?

Thank you all!
Reply 1
MSc Finance is very sought after don't worry
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
can extra 5000 pounds be justified?
Reply 3
I'm sure you will make over 10 times that once some big firm scoops you up, if it counts for anything, i certainly would. Also where do you want to go from the MSc? ...go onto IB&C sub forum if you want to go into IB, some of them could give you useful advice.
Reply 4
I want to do M&A work at a global investment bank, but I don't have any accounting background, which makes me think that A&F might be better unless MSc Finance has some clear advantages over A&F
Reply 6
r u implying that MSc Finance is more practical and employers like that?
Reply 7
yes i am
Reply 8
thank you for your advice. appreciate it. :smile:
Word is that for the MSc in Finance, already 1400 applications have been received for the only 50 places. And if you look at availability of programs in the graduate section @ LSE website, it's one of the few that has got limited availability already NOW, it's March!
Given LSE's Brand, it's no surprise.
Definitely the MSc in Finance, no Accounting *******s....
Reply 10
hi jkf91,

I'm doing the MSc Finance @LSE too. See you there ;-)

cheers
biko
Reply 11
student_london
Word is that for the MSc in Finance, already 1400 applications have been received for the only 50 places. And if you look at availability of programs in the graduate section @ LSE website, it's one of the few that has got limited availability already NOW, it's March!
Given LSE's Brand, it's no surprise.
Definitely the MSc in Finance, no Accounting *******s....

Shut your moth, Finance is good but Accounting isn't *******s.
Reply 12
i have a 730 gmat, 99 percentile on the quantitative score, but a 3.2 gpa. Do I still have a chance of getting in? Thank you.
Original post by nza3
i have a 730 gmat, 99 percentile on the quantitative score, but a 3.2 gpa. Do I still have a chance of getting in? Thank you.

Broadly speaking the main difference between the MSc Finance and Economics (F&E), MSc Finance and MSc Accounting and Finance (A&F) at LSE is the level of mathematics.

The most quantitative course is the F&E followed by MSc Finance which is then followed by A&F. Although it is true that in the electives you have a lot of freedom and a MSc Finance student can take the same electives as an F&E student, the core courses are a bit different with little overlap.

Here is the structure of the core courses for each of these three Masters:

MSc Accounting and Finance:
FM430 Corporate Finance and Asset Markets or
FM429 Asset Markets A (H) and FM431M Corporate Finance A (H) or FM431L Corporate Finance A (H)

MSc Finance:
FM422 Corporate Finance
FM423 Asset Markets

MSc Finance and Economics:
EC411 Microeconomics *
FM436 Financial Economics
FM437 Financial Econometrics

Now which course is best depends on your preferences. However for front office IB positions I would argue that the MSc in Finance and the MSc in Finance and Economics have a comparative advantage, since they teach more quantitative subjects which IB's usually favor.

Obviously though, this is a gross oversimplification of the complicated procedure of landing a front office IB job.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending