The Student Room Group
Reply 1
alexmac9
Hi guys,

I'm going to have to make my As level choices pretty soon, at the moment I think I will take the following. Maths, ICT and Business Studies.

I'm also considering taking Economics but I don't really know that much about it. Is more maths involved than in business studies? Is it harder than business studies? What's your experience with the subject?

Thanks,
Alex

I would suggest you not to do ICT and Business studies esp if youa re applying for lse - these subjects are on their 'blacklist' In othe rwords they dont regard them as good subjects. How about Maths computing and economics?
Reply 2
It's amazing!!
brilliant subject and good topics studied at AS such as markets, how they work, suppy and demand and the global economy (interest rates, trade in goods and services etc etc)
the topics are useful for all sorts of subjects, economics is regarded highly by unis, and not too much maths involved at as stage...
I didn't know loads about it but took it for AS and now I love it!! and am going to study at uni :smile:
hope this helps!!
Reply 3
I see, my school does not currently offer computing as a choice, but our ICT teacher is really safe and I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be open to teaching it. Just as background information, how exactly is it different to ICT and what does it involve?
Reply 4
Lau, thanks for your input! That all sounds great, but what's the difference between it and business studies?
Reply 5
I am currently doing Maths, ICT, Business...
Definately take Maths its really valued and suprisingly fun. Business is fun and interesting however it isn't as respected as economics...but if you really prefer business then go for it - what ever you do don't take both!
For ICT or ICT vs Computing, I'd advise you not to take either as both are really boring, in my opinion. You'd be much better of taking either a humanity (history, poltics,geog whatever interests you) or one of the 3 sciences.

If you are seriously considering going into ICT/Computing post A level you should take Physics.
Reply 6
I have never done business studies so maybe some one else might have more of an idea
I think BS is more involved with the practical side of firms like management techniques, shares, accounts of businesses
but economics deals with global issues as well. The topics like monetary policy (the setting of interest rates), trade (balance of payments), fiscal policies (government policy) etc are the things we read about in the papers everyday so studying them really helps. The case studies we look at are to do with real and current issues in the world and so is really interesting and it's a very dynamic subject. One thing:
DON'T TAKE BOTH B.S. AND ECONOMICS!! This is a big no no as far as unis are concerned. If you take both, then decide you really like econ and wanna study it at uni, most unis think the fact you have taken B.S. is a disadvantage and you learn about different topics in different contexts so they'd prefer you have a pure economically minded approach rather than thinking of business concepts too.
The fact you are doing maths supports econ greatly! I'm not forcing u into the subject but it's sooo good!!
Reply 7
Ok, so at the moment business studies sounds more my kind of thing, but is that going to put off universities if i say have maths and ict/computing/physics?
Good choice of courses though one would advise you to stay away from business studeies. Do maths, economics, ICT and another subject.
Economics is different from business in the way it studies the economy as a whole and not individual firms and markets. Also economics is analytical so its all about learning the tool kit to answer questions like in maths. So ull never have seen that exact situation before (like in maths) but u have the tools answer it. Thats why its a such credited subject as its analytical. Business in contrast is case studies and just learning things by heart, so the information is only useful if that exact same situation came up.
So I recommend not doing business so ill give you some advice on your 4th. If your rally strong at maths then physics. If your strong at sciences then chemistry. If your strong at humanities then history. Strong at the arts then english joint or a language would be recommended.
Though 4 combinations all include 3 academic credit subjects, are broad, and will be interesting to study
Hope that helps sorry Im discouraging business studies, Im just trying to be honest with you.
Reply 9
invisible, why is it so boring? I'd really appreciate it if you could give me some more insight into what it actually involves. also what a levels r u doing/done?
Reply 10
Mickyfinstar, great post! That was really comprehensive I now understand the difference. OK thanks to that post im taking back what I said a minute ago as now I feel economics would be more my type of subject. I much prefer subjects where rather than doing case studies n learning off by heart - you learn "the tools" which help you answer the question.
Reply 11
one hint for a 4th subject:
if you studied GCSE geog, AS geography ties in well with Econ because in both subjects we study a module covering Globalisation!
exactly the same thing - so revise it once then it's relevant for both subjects!
Reply 12
alexmac9
invisible, why is it so boring? I'd really appreciate it if you could give me some more insight into what it actually involves. also what a levels r u doing/done?

I took computing for 2 weeks before switching to ICT, from my experience both are devastatingly boring.

Check out www.theteacher.info to see some of the rubbish you learn.
On the plus side all the countries ICT and Computing teachers seem to be crap...hold on, that's yet another reason why its crap.
Reply 13
Lau, yes I'm doing GCSE geog, I don't particularly enjoy it, but I can understand how at AS it might be useful if done in conjuction with economics.

On the topic of 4th subject -
Jumpunderabout said "If you are seriously considering going into ICT/Computing post A level you should take Physics." Aswell as economics, I'm also greatly interested in furthering my education in ICT/computing - So what about physics as a 4th subject? Again, I don't particularly enjoy it, but I've heard it involves more maths at AS, which I think I could enjoy. Any opinions are welcome!
Reply 14
How about take:
Maths, Econ, Geo, Computing? and maybe add in physics as well?? or is 5 AS too much?? to be honest, if your mathematically minded (like you sound!) the computing, maths, physics should come naturally!
geo's quite an easy AS to take. all 5 would be good if you could put your mind to it, then if the pressure's too great, drop geo and another your enjoying less and concentrate on the three u like most.
Otherwise start all 5 and you could use the opportunity to get a feel for what the subjects will involve...you can drop one after a term if it's not for u!
Reply 15
Taking 5 would be a good idea if you're taking ICT/Computing as it gives you room to drop them :smile:
I honestly wouldnt do 5 its not needed. 4 is enough the only case where 5 is advisable is when it includes the devestating maths, further maths, physics combo. Geog or physics is the question. I advise physics as physics enhances your chances at uni if u wana do

Maths - more maths in physics increases mathematical ability

Computing/ICT - Obvious uses in computing and electronics

Engineering - required for this

Economics - shows you can apply maths to a subject which economics at uni needs. LSE also recommends a science for economics canditates

Before any of you complain about me not choosing geography it is a very credable subject and does overlap with eco. Though physics over laps much more with maths and to some extent Computing/ICT. Geography only really opens the door to geography where physics opens the door to all the ones iv listed above.

Just imagine saying I do maths, physics, economics and ICT . People and unis will be impressed
Reply 17
What's wrong with maths, further maths and physics?!
Reply 18
alexmac9
Hi guys,

I'm going to have to make my As level choices pretty soon, at the moment I think I will take the following. Maths, ICT and Business Studies.

I'm also considering taking Economics but I don't really know that much about it. Is more maths involved than in business studies? Is it harder than business studies? What's your experience with the subject?

Thanks,
Alex

Hi Alex,

I'm doing my A2's at the moment. Started AS with Maths, Business Studies and ICT. Also Politics, GS and CT as a side. Around christmas I decided that ICT was too easy and so I switched to Computing, but because I had already done some of the coursework I stayed in ICT part time (2 1/2 hour lessons per week).

I find Business Studies really interesting (and easy :tongue: ). Maths I find extremely hard and Computing is difficult when it wants to be, but overall fine.

This year maths and computing have got harder, but Business has stayed pretty much the same. I only did the AS politics and so this year I've also taken up AS Economics. It is harder than Business Studies in that the depth it goes in and there's more graphs and some more complicated concepts, but overall I'm enjoying it.

Ultimately the decision is yours, don't listen to people saying this course is worthless, go for something you'll be happy doing because you'll be doing it for the next two years.

Latest