The Student Room Group

British Fashion - for Men

I'm an American student who will be starting Uni in the UK (UoManchester) this fall.

Could y'all help me answer the following questions?
-What are the British trends for each season?
-What fashion do Uni girls like to see on Uni guys?
-T-shirts or polo?
-In the winter, do people wear turtle necks or scarves?
-Etc. (anything else you'd like to add)

Thanks in advance!
Everyone in uni just dresses how they want. Individuallity seems to be the biggest trend. People do wear a mixture of everything. My boyfriend wears both t-shirts and polos, and people in general do tend to wear scarfs more than turtlenecks. However dont let that put you off wearing them.
Im not sure about this autumns trends, but last year people just tended to wear anything warm, as the weather here has be so terrible! So ide advise jumpers, a seriously warm coat and the thickest socks you can find.
Good luck!
I wouldnt personally shop in topman, unless you want to look the same as every other male who shops there. There clothes are all really similar.
I do agree with the above post though, 'indie' people. Yer there trying hard god bless them, but failing is what theyre doing more.
A couple of decent hoodies is a must in England, as long as you get stylish ones they look awesome, i have a really nice grey Nickelson one. Comfy and warm.
Polo Shirts tend to be more popular than normal t-shirts aswell, can't beat a nice popped colour. Lacoste polo's are decent.

As long as you avoid Jack Wills sweatpants and Skinny Jeans you'll be fine :biggrin:
Reply 4

I don't think I could bring myself to buy stuff from Polistas if I wasn't a real Polo player :wink:

To the threadstarter - I wouldn't really say there's that much to worry about; load up on the Abercrombie and Fitch/RL stuff whilst its cheap in the US; get Polos/Hoodies/Jumpers/Whatever...

Banana Republic also do some nice stuff that'd we'd wear over here I think.

Maybe some trackies (sweatpants or whatever you guys call 'em) - from A&F or even Nike make some nice ones - just something to slob about in.

And get some nice shirts too...some smart casual ones for going out in (along with shoes to match) - Diesel/Ralph Lauren etcccc

Good jeans are a must; Diesel/Nudie/APC

To be fair, get them in US before you come to England, it's a darn sight cheaper out there :biggrin:
Reply 5
Probably similar clothes to what students where to uni on the East Coast I would have thought :smile:
Reply 6
Thanks, everyone!

So pretty much polo + jean combo works fine? Plus a jacket/hoodie and scarf when its cold? (I have no idea what they wear on the East Coast either - I'm from SoCal)

Burton looks promising (as the other brands are all so expensive). Would Hollister be able to serve as a replacement for A&F (as it's half the price of A&F).
Reply 7
Yea definitely, chuck in some American Eagle too.
CocoBean
Probably similar clothes to what students where to uni on the East Coast I would have thought :smile:

Not really at all, no!
Reply 9
If you dress up like the American guys in Gossip Girl, you'll please lotsa ladies ;yes;
Reply 10
no hero in her sky
Not really at all, no!

Oh ok lol

:creep:
Reply 11
Firstly I'll say dress how you want, I don't see much point in being someone who you're not. Though if you want to see fashion trends www.topman.com is a good place to start.

I'm not a big fan of polo's, prefer t-shirts, and I prefer scarfs to turtle necks.
Cardigans, scarves, dark wash jeans, blazers, hoodies, striped shirts, Converse, brogues.
Reply 13
I'm not sure whether you're wanting to dress a certain way to 'fit in' or dress a certain way to look good. If the latter, then please please avoid what the average British person wears. That's all I can say.

Best thing is to just go out there, dress in whatever clothes you like and whatever you feel comfortable in. Clothes shouldn't dictate whether you fit in or not, it's your attitude that should. And from what I can gather from this thread, you seem like a decent guy.

I could, however, point you to a few things you should not wear:

- baggy jeans
- uggs
- overcised t-shirts
- NY YANKEES caps
- long golden chains
- crocs (shoes)
- cardigan with t-shirt under
- bootcut jeans
- rifle

edit: or sweatpants
Reply 14
Oh god yes, that reminds me. Stay clear of wearing tracksuit bottoms and t-shirts which have nike etc plastered all over them, and baseball caps.
dress like any old english uni slob
Original post by AKFortySheep
I'm an American student who will be starting Uni in the UK (UoManchester) this fall.

Could y'all help me answer the following questions?
-What are the British trends for each season?
-What fashion do Uni girls like to see on Uni guys?
-T-shirts or polo?
-In the winter, do people wear turtle necks or scarves?
-Etc. (anything else you'd like to add)

Thanks in advance!

People definitely wear turtlenecks

Quick Reply

Latest