The Student Room Group

Accepted Forms of ID

I'm turning 18 soon, and I want to have some properly accepted I.D. I know people who take their passports with them on nights out, but to me this sounds like a stupid idea. It's your ultimate form of identification! Something I definitely wouldn't like to lose (and would be likely to).

I've heard you can apply for a provisional driving license without actually having taken any lessons or anything. I'm not interested in driving yet, but this seems to be the only option for truly accepted I.D. (i'm thinking for nights out, and well, just in general). My college student card isn't accepted anywhere.

My question is, though, is this my only option aside from using a passport? I know provisional licenses cost 45 quid, and there is a bit of hassle getting photographs and whatnot, but would it be worth it? Are there any other forms of ID available that are widely accepted?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

provisional is probably easiest and 45 quid! dont remeber it costing that much

and your gonna learn to drive sometime, might as well get a provisional in preparation
Reply 2
It depends. Passports and provisional driving licenses are always accepted and in some places ID cards with the PASS logo on are. Some pubs and night clubs accept them but others don't.
Reply 3
You should join those campaigning against the introduction of ID cards in the UK, just to make sure there are no universally accepted forms of ID besides a passport in the future, either :p:
Reply 4
Provisional driving licence is mostly likely the best. Can fit snuggly into your wallet, normally a clear screen slot for most id cards. Just flash out if and when you get id'd.

Some people may argue about keeping it iin your wallet, but if your like me you will keep your wallet close to you as if it was some highly valued artefact :P
yes a driving licence is the best as its one of the only forms of ID you can use for PROPER things like when you wanna open bank accounts etc you need to show photographic evidence - so it has mroe uses than just being a driving licence/entry into clubs.
Reply 6
A fake ID, even though you may not need one, but it beats spending the £45 on the provisional licence.
All pubs, clubs, bars, shops accept anything with the 'pass logo' on. I got a Citizencard for £9 and can use it anywhere as I hate taking my passport out all the time. xx
Reply 8
Deep1989
A fake ID, even though you may not need one, but it beats spending the £45 on the provisional licence.

Fake ID hardly ever works
I'm screwed about ID, my driving license is from the isle of man so looks different to UK ones... Apparently some bouncers think that it is made up! Lovely... Oh that citizencard thing looks a good idea!
Reply 10
Meeee :)
Fake ID hardly ever works

I beg to differ, they worked quite well for me when I was 17; and I'm not exactly the most mature lookign guy either, plus they only cost £10.
Reply 11
Purple_hazex
All pubs, clubs, bars, shops accept anything with the 'pass logo' on. I got a Citizencard for £9 and can use it anywhere as I hate taking my passport out all the time. xx

nope not all, they only will if they hav ethe electronic reader tjingy for them. well thats how it is round here
Go online and order a provisional - I got my just for ID (though I'm now having lessons) and it arrived within a week. So long as your passport is relatively new, your picture is stored electronically anyway so you don't have to bother with sending in photos -it just loads it straight from your passport to your provisional license. :smile:
...Still costs £45 though.
Purple_hazex

No they don't. I know loads of people who have had their PASS logo cards thrown back in their face. Down here it's either driving license, passport or nothing.
Reply 14
Purple_hazex

Not all accept the pass logo. I got turned away from a pub with my ID card and had to phone my mum to bring my passport.
Reply 15
I take my passport with me everywhere... it's a risk, I admit, but then again I never let either my passport or my wallet leave my body.
dh00001
nope not all, they only will if they hav ethe electronic reader tjingy for them. well thats how it is round here

Electronic reader? Never heard of that in Hertfordshire..The pass logo as I see it is a hologram that proves the authenticity of the card. In Sainsbury's/Tescos/corner shops/off licences there are posters that say 'Accepted forms of ID- Driving licence/Passport/Cards bearing the Pass logo'. May work differently elsewhere.. xx
I know it's not an officially recognised form of ID, but on the occasions when I have needed it, an EHIC card has always been accepted, probably because it looks all official and has the EU logo on it.

You can find out about them at https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/home.do
Helena in Bristol
I know it's not an officially recognised form of ID, but on the occasions when I have needed it, an EHIC card has always been accepted, probably because it looks all official and has the EU logo on it.

You can find out about them at https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/home.do

I didn't think an EHIC had a photo on it? :s-smilie:
In clubs and bars they only accept driving licences and passports.
In shops to buy alcohol you can use alot of different types. Usually it's anything with a hollogram picture :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending