The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

School Uniform vs No School Uniform

What is the point of having school uniform?

Students don't always like wearing it and if they wear it incorrectly then are given detentions - I don't see many positives at all.

In the US there are no uniforms and there is no major difference between us and them....also its one less thing for the teachers to worry about and because the students are allowed to wear what they want (within reason) then its better for there confidence.

Discuss......

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ph.at

In the US there are no uniforms and there is no major difference between us and them..

Except the killing.

There's another thread on this.
I agree with wearing uniform for various reasons. The main one being;
1) Non-uniform in younger years is another excuse for bullying.
I think that school uniforms should be worn, at least till year 11.
However when in 6th form I don't think uniform should be worn.
Reply 4
hmm...i prefer non- school uniform..but having school uniform, distinguishes you from drop out to a student :s..i dunno actually.

some people may think of it has a society thing...some may think its just to show off their schools?

i remember when i was in m private school, nobody was allowed to be seen out of school in their uniform, on non-school hours...what were the people who walked home tod do??

some of the rules though are ridiculous when it comes to uniforms...and some uniforms are RIDICULOUS! , and EMBARASSING!
Bengali_Beauty_
hmm...i prefer non- school uniform..but having school uniform, distinguishes you from drop out to a student :s..i dunno actually.

some people may think of it has a society thing...some may think its just to show off their schools?

i remember when i was in m private school, nobody was allowed to be seen out of school in their uniform, on non-school hours...what were the people who walked home tod do??

some of the rules though are ridiculous when it comes to uniforms...and some uniforms are RIDICULOUS! , and EMBARASSING!

Your siggy 'life is beautiful' made me smile a lot, sometimes it's the small things :wink:
Reply 6
nothingspek
Your siggy 'life is beautiful' made me smile a lot, sometimes it's the small things :wink:

..hehe..shall i take that as a compliment..thanks..i knew it will make some people smile! :wink: :p:
having a non school uniform makes a much more relaxed learning environment - studies show it makes teachers and students get along better - however having a uniform promotes structure. Enforcing a school uniform takes time effort - wouldnt it be better if teachers concentrated on teaching.

Personally i think 6th former should be allowed to wear what they want - teacher-student bond in 6th form is important i think - non school uniform promotes this
i think the whole principle of school uniform started so that people were not able display their wealth by the way they dressed and the "plebs" were not bullied. they were assumed a pleb by the clothes they wore.

so by wearing a uniform everyone was deemed equal.

well at least i THINK that's where it stemmed from
i used to love my school uniform :biggrin:

blazer and ties

now were on to suits i dont think twice about it, im so used to it now its like wearing anything else :smile:
Reply 10
benefits of school uniform
1. makes a clear distinction between the pupils of a school and an outsider.
2. i do not have to spend time deciding what to wear.
3. after 2 weeks of constant school i will run out of new clothes to wear. would then have to constantly buy new clothes thus putting a dent into my balance.
Reply 11
It helps avoid obvious class/wealth differences. Also, certain clothing styles are prone to attack from certain other clothing styles - uniform helps to prevent this.
but dont some people get like a £200 uniform allowance?

However it does make it easier - not trying to find something to wear - must be dreadful for girls
I like school uniform. It's so much easier than having to think what I should wear that day.
Reply 14
Original post by &#946
I like school uniform. It's so much easier than having to think what I should wear that day.

Lol. I don't care as long as it don't smell funny its good.

Oh btw IMPERIAL! :eek: :eek:
Steal my thread why don't you. :mad: There is a difference between American schools and British schools ,look how horribly rigid their school stereotypes are, something in part I think which has to do with their ability to dress as they please. School uniform is also a wonderful British tradition.
Reply 16
It's probably a good idea really, makes everyone look the same and smart and all that. A lot easier than having to pick out a new outfit every day anyway!
I think it's a good idea, as it stops a lot of bullying etc. But sometimes it gets a bit stupid. I had to wear a straw hat for goodness' sake, a straw hat! Feel my pain :frown:

Surely a jumper with the school logo on and perhaps a tie is enough...
Reply 18
in my school uniform was very strict, and i have to say that in many ways it was used to add to the authority of the teachers. it sort of kept you 'scared' of them because they could just give a detension if a shirt was untucked/something similarly minor.
Reply 19
It's a good idea. I found that on non-uniform days and 6th form (when we wore what we wanted, within reason) I got bullied for what I wore.

Latest