The Student Room Group

Effects of globalization on the state

Some of this may seem incredibly obvious, but anything vaugely economics seems to go right over my head, so. :redface:

I'm trying to write an essay on whether the state is the only appropiate tool of political analysis.

I'm reading a journal article, which suggests that the role of the state in East Asian economies such as Singapore had helped them to grow and develop. Am I right in thinking that this goes against the usual liberal economic theories that suggest that the less state involvement the better?

Also if it suggests that a small, but strong state may do better in bargaining with the TNCs, etc, would it then be reasonable to suggest that this is maybe why African states may lose out? Because they don't tend to have a strong, capable government?

Thanks for any help! :smile:
A number of Asian countries have done well by keeping strong state-directed economies. It's not only small countries like Singapore - China and Malaysia are other countries that have pursued this path.

Although many countries have done well out of globalisation, some countries have found that when the state stops protecting their economies (often because the IMF or World Bank tell them to pursue free trade - you are right in thinking that the role of the state in those south east asian countries gos against the liberal economic beliefs) they can't compete with the massive economic forces of the USA, Europe etc. It suddenly becomes impossible to sell goods produced in your country because it is cheaper from the US.

Also if it suggests that a small, but strong state may do better in bargaining with the TNCs, etc, would it then be reasonable to suggest that this is maybe why African states may lose out?

That could be a factor, but I just think it is that the states who haven't opened up their markets can impose tariffs which protect homegrown industries. I don't see what you mean by bargaining with Trans-national companies.....

A couple of things to think about

You could include in our essay whether you think governance needs to be transferred to a more global scale to bring the political into line with the economic reality? This would render the state (more) obsolete.
Reply 2
feedtheflamingo
A number of Asian countries have done well by keeping strong state-directed economies. It's not only small countries like Singapore - China and Malaysia are other countries that have pursued this path.

Although many countries have done well out of globalisation, some countries have found that when the state stops protecting their economies (often because the IMF or World Bank tell them to pursue free trade - you are right in thinking that the role of the state in those south east asian countries gos against the liberal economic beliefs) they can't compete with the massive economic forces of the USA, Europe etc. It suddenly becomes impossible to sell goods produced in your country because it is cheaper from the US.

That could be a factor, but I just think it is that the states who haven't opened up their markets can impose tariffs which protect homegrown industries. I don't see what you mean by bargaining with Trans-national companies.....

A couple of things to think about

You could include in our essay whether you think governance needs to be transferred to a more global scale to bring the political into line with the economic reality? This would render the state (more) obsolete.

Thanks- thats quite helpful.

With the bargaining with TNCs, the article I was reading suggests that
"small couuntries bargaining with large TNCs may do better if a competent, unified national agenda participates in the bargaining on the local side".

The other areas I need to look at are IGOs, regional bodies such as the EU, and the impact of global terrorism. It's mainly the economics of it all that confuses me :smile:
"Effects of globalization on the state".. destroying the nation state as we know it.

Read Jihad vs. McWorld by Benjamin Barber. It's rather interesting. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, I'm sure you'll be fine. I just felt like expressing my opinion in a completeley non substantial way.
Reply 4
Tonight Matthew
"Effects of globalization on the state".. destroying the nation state as we know it.

Read Jihad vs. McWorld by Benjamin Barber. It's rather interesting. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, I'm sure you'll be fine. I just felt like expressing my opinion in a completeley non substantial way.

hehe, thanks.

Anyway, have found a very knowledable person to save me from the doom of comparative politics! So all should be good :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending