- Lewes Road
- Kemptown
- anywhere near the main station
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website
Reply 2
I live off Lewes Road. The area between and around London and Lewes Road is very studenty, plenty of takeaways and offies and cheap pubs geared towards the student market. You're also of course near the crucial 25 bus route and London Road or Brighton train stations.

Kemptown is a nice but expensive area and isn't particularly convenient transport wise.

Hollingdean's pretty cheap and as long as you don't mind doing the trek that is the Hollingdean Road you're alright. There's some pretty scummy houses round here though.

Moulsecoomb/Coldean is cheap and a bit skanky but not particularly dangerous, although it has a bit of a reputation. Coldean in particular is near to uni and I think one of the bus routes goes up there and is in within walking distance of Falmer campuses for Sussex and Brighton.

Bevendean's becoming quite studentified (new verb coinage there) recently and is near to Falmer campuses. Very hilly though and Upper Bevendean is a bit remote.
Do many students live in Newhaven? I was thinking about it as its not far on the train to falmer station and the flats are a lot cheaper.
Reply 4
I've never heard of any students living in Newhaven. From what I've heard it's a bit of a dive. They're also building a fat incinerator there.
Reply 5
living at bottom of Elm Grove (right next to lewes road), heard itys quite studenty and walkable from the clubs area, so hoping its studenty next year lol
Reply 6
Mccarroll
living at bottom of Elm Grove (right next to lewes road), heard itys quite studenty and walkable from the clubs area, so hoping its studenty next year lol

Bottom of Elm Grove's great. Walking to friend's houses at the top of Elm Grove = not so fun.
Reply 7
My vote goes to around London Road station

Kemptown is a bit of a trek from uni, but lots of fun

Most people end up around Lewes Road somewhere

Brighton's pretty small though, you can get around easily, especially with a bike.
Reply 8
Don't live in Newhaven. End of discussion
I read a town report thing by Lewes council, it basically aid it has high crime, high unemployment, low education success, high teen pregnancy, high amount of single parents...I think i'll listen to you guys and live somewhere less...****.
Reply 10
Better question, 'Wheres the worst place to live as a student?'

My votes:

Portslade (too bloody far)
Hove (too yummy mummy)
Whitehawk (too many stabbings/fights)
Anywhere more than 2 minutes up Elm grove/Coombe Road (too high above sea level)
Reply 11
ljames28
I read a town report thing by Lewes council, it basically aid it has high crime, high unemployment, low education success, high teen pregnancy, high amount of single parents...I think i'll listen to you guys and live somewhere less...****.

Harsh but fair :biggrin:

I agree with Ledge's post about the worst areas. Then again a mate of mine at uni's from Whitehawk and he thinks its reputation is rather overplayed, and he seems to have turned out alright.
Reply 12
redluc
WEE-OOOH WEEE-OOOH

Dreadlock brigade has been alerted to your conservative thinking. Anticipate pamphlet reception.

*the distant sound of a helicopter*

Run!
I'm sorry, I may be being a bit thick but what does this mean..."dreadlock brigade"?

Dreadlock?
Reply 14
Original post by &#920
I'm sorry, I may be being a bit thick but what does this mean..."dreadlock brigade"?

Dreadlock?

Hippies/crusties essentially. Sussex has a reputation as a rather activist uni and student politics is pretty lively here. I actually quite like it, it's better than somewhere soulless and a bit boring. The activism though does lend to a lot of people feeling outside the loop because they're not enthused by the same issues that the "union mafia" are. My views on the whole issue are rather complex.

Anyway we're going off topic.
Reply 15
Original post by &#920

Dreadlock?

Hahaha. Prepare for that level of crustie innocence to vanish very soon.

You will soon long for the days when you didn't know what a dreadlock was.

Believe. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending