The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
MilliBilli
I really wouldn't reccommend intense weight lifting at your age, you're still developing. Please just go see a doctor about any worries first.

EDIT: Sorry about patronising tone, I'm only 3yrs older! :s-smilie:

Did you actually read the thread?

We have already come to the conclusion that weightlifting does not harm your development.
Reply 121
get a gym membership! there is a forum on the internet called muscletalk - very informative and helpful if you want to put on muscle!
burningnun
I wouldn't say a person's weight has anything to do with it, providing they are not silly when they train. Weightlifting is inherently scalable, whereas a collision with another person is most certainly not. It's strange, therefore, that Rugby and football are positively encouraged by schools and parents (hell some people were FORCED to play Rugby in school, including myself - in my even skinnier days, this was not something I enjoyed), whereas weightlifting has such a strange stigma held to it, even by otherwise educated people.

Good old BBT (citation: Hamill, B. "Relative Safety of Weightlifting and Weight Training" Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research) shows competitive weightlifting to be about half as dangerous as weight training, with competitive powerlifting about halfway in between the two. Soccer was the most dangerous activity studied, around 5100 times more dangerous than weight training. The only activity safer than the three aforementioned was volleyball. This study measured number of injuries per player hours, and as far as I can see did not measure severity of injury - evaluate it as you will.

Another interesting quote, at risk of violating copyright "The entire body of sports medicine literature contains six reports of growth plate fracture in kids associated with weight training, none of which was specific enough in detail to determine whether the injury occurred under the bar... ...even in these six isolated examples, not one... displayed any long-term effects that would demonstrate the growth plate injury does not heal like any other injury"

MilliBilli
I really wouldn't reccommend intense weight lifting at your age, you're still developing. Please just go see a doctor about any worries first.

EDIT: Sorry about patronising tone, I'm only 3yrs older! :s-smilie:

Wow, thank you for bringing this to my attention MilliBilli, I'm kicking myself that I didn't think of that. Reps for you!

Dac.
please tell me where the correlation is between those two. im not skinny, so can i act like the god of weight training? bearing in mind ive had lots of useful advice from Burningnun and his companions which i didnt know myself.

Thanks Dac.. Whoever posted that should bear in mind that although I am admittedly fairly skinny (although not by the standards of this thread), I have gained around about 20 kg in my short lifting career, and stayed lean all the way through. There's no more indecision either, I'm going to 75 kg to compete so I'm eating properly and gaining again.
burningnun

Well... maybe... but my mum developed kidney stones through having too many cups of tea and milkshakes etc, since they are more or less clusters of calcium buildup.

Plus milk makes you feel bloated - couldnt drink much milk each day...
Reply 124
From BUPA site.

What causes kidney stones?

In most people the underlying cause isn't known. Some people with kidney stones have lower levels of citrate in their urine, which usually stops the stones forming.

Different kinds of kidney stones form from different salts in the urine.

Calcium stones are the most common type of kidney stone. They are either spiky or large and smooth, and are made up of calcium oxalate or calcium phosphate.

Calcium stones are more common in people who have excess levels of vitamin D or who have an overactive parathyroid gland. People who have medical conditions such as cancer, some kidney diseases, or a disease called sarcoidosis are also more likely to develop calcium stones.

Uric acid stones are smooth, brown and soft. Excess amounts of uric acid can be caused by eating a lot of meat. Conditions such as gout and treatments such as chemotherapy can also increase the risk of getting uric acid stones.

Struvite stones (infection stones) are usually large and have a horn-like shape. They develop when there is too much ammonia in the urine. This can happen if you have a urinary tract infection (UTI), because the bacteria that cause these infections can generate ammonia. This kind of kidney stone is most often found in women.

Cystine stones are yellow and crystalline. They develop if you have high levels of cystine in your urine, which happens if you have a hereditary disorder called cystinuria. Only one in a hundred kidney stones are caused by this condition. Cystine stones tend to develop earlier in life than other kidney stones, usually between the ages of 10 and 30 years.
Hey Burningnun and Chew,

Yes, I admit I hadn't read that. I still stand by what I had written though and I also would have presented my viewpoint had I read it. Note how I said "intense" weight-lifting. I play rugby and do weights myself before you say I know nothing (with university team personal trainer).

I still strongly recommend he seek professional advice, before any major lifestyle changes.

[Thanks for the neg rep, not being sarcastic, made me notice another one I got, really wierd, someone who thought that I thought that I was OK with the dad and daughter having a baby... when my post was opposing! They called me hillbilli lol]
MilliBilli
Hey Burningnun and Chew,

Yes, I admit I hadn't read that. I still stand by what I had written though and I also would have presented my viewpoint had I read it. Note how I said "intense" weight-lifting. I play rugby and do weights myself before you say I know nothing (with university team personal trainer).

I still strongly recommend he seek professional advice, before any major lifestyle changes.

Well, OK there. My problem is that "professional" advice is often used to mean advice from a doctor, and there are some shocking stories about doctors knowing somewhere between "very little" and "jack ****" with respect to weightlifting. Mark Rippetoe, Glenn Pendlay, Lon Kilgore, Greg Glassman, Nicole Carroll and other Crossfitters are all professionals, as are Westside guys like Simmons and DeFranco. Seeking their advice is a very intelligent decision, if I had done it before I started I would have saved a lot of wasted time in training hours.

[Thanks for the neg rep, not being sarcastic, made me notice another one I got, really wierd, someone who thought that I thought that I was OK with the dad and daughter having a baby... when my post was opposing! They called me hillbilli lol]

Any time chief.

Interesting posts about kidney stones. Maybe squatting heavy and deep 3 times per week prevents them, if Rip's guys are drinking a gallon of milk per day and not getting them.
Reply 127
burningnun
I wouldn't say a person's weight has anything to do with it, providing they are not silly when they train. Weightlifting is inherently scalable, whereas a collision with another person is most certainly not. It's strange, therefore, that Rugby and football are positively encouraged by schools and parents (hell some people were FORCED to play Rugby in school, including myself - in my even skinnier days, this was not something I enjoyed), whereas weightlifting has such a strange stigma held to it, even by otherwise educated people.

Good old BBT (citation: Hamill, B. "Relative Safety of Weightlifting and Weight Training" Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research) shows competitive weightlifting to be about half as dangerous as weight training, with competitive powerlifting about halfway in between the two. Soccer was the most dangerous activity studied, around 5100 times more dangerous than weight training. The only activity safer than the three aforementioned was volleyball. This study measured number of injuries per player hours, and as far as I can see did not measure severity of injury - evaluate it as you will.

In fact, I'd go as far to say that weightlifting (and perhaps rowing) are the two forms of exercise least likely to cause problems.

Running, football etc. tend to put a lot of strain on the knees, that is why so many football players end up with dodgy knees and/or ligament problems.

Wieght lifting on the other hand strengthens the joints and as you are not jerking them around or using them as brake pads, you generally don't do as much damage (subject to good form of course)

Latest

Trending

Trending