The Student Room Group

want to read your teacher's UCAS reference about you?

i just phoned up UCAS asking if I could have a copy of the UCAS form sent to me (so i can read the reference obv) and they were like 'sure just send us £10 and we'll give you all the info we have on you'. so guys and girls, if you werent allowed to read your reference by your cruel teachers, just send a £10 cheque made payable to 'UCAS' to

UCAS
PO Box 28
Cheltenham
Glos
GL52 3ZA

with a little covering letter saying something like 'dear sir/madam, please send me a copy of my UCAS form along with any other details you have about me, under the terms of the Data Protection Act. i enclose £10 for the processing fee. my ucas number is xxxxxx, yours faithfully, xxxxx'

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Woweee!!! :eek: :biggrin:

Will the centre find out? lol.
Reply 2
Adhsur
Woweee!!! :eek: :biggrin:

Will the centre find out? lol.

of course not, its none of their business.
Reply 3
I already know what my references say.
Reply 4
Ralfskini
I already know what my references say.

oh right, quite a few dont though
Reply 5
U don't have to go through Ucas. U casn just ask ur schools to show u it as they r obliged to as part of the data protection act. Even if ur form has been sent off they'll have a copy. And it's free.
Reply 6
I haven't been allowed to read mine. I've been told it's all positive though, so I'm not too worried.
Reply 7
ankur1986
U don't have to go through Ucas. U casn just ask ur schools to show u it as they r obliged to as part of the data protection act. Even if ur form has been sent off they'll have a copy. And it's free.

It won't make them too happy though if you are petty enough to go and complain.
Reply 8
edders
i just phoned up UCAS asking if I could have a copy of the UCAS form sent to me (so i can read the reference obv) and they were like 'sure just send us £10 and we'll give you all the info we have on you'. so guys and girls, if you werent allowed to read your reference by your cruel teachers, just send a £10 cheque made payable to 'UCAS' to

UCAS
PO Box 28
Cheltenham
Glos
GL52 3ZA

with a little covering letter saying something like 'dear sir/madam, please send me a copy of my UCAS form along with any other details you have about me, under the terms of the Data Protection Act. i enclose £10 for the processing fee. my ucas number is xxxxxx, yours faithfully, xxxxx'

:smile:

Is all this information on the site too? I'd rather see it in official writing (with regards to payment) if it's available, than take your word for it.

Also, how long will it take? I'd want to have my form before my interview.
ankur1986

Actually any organisation (including your school) is entitled to charge up to £10 for retreiving your data and supplying it to you. You just got lucky with your school but in theory they could charge you exactly the same amount as UCAS...that's how the data protection act works.
Adhsur
Is all this information on the site too? I'd rather see it in official writing (with regards to payment) if it's available, than take your word for it.

Also, how long will it take? I'd want to have my form before my interview.

http://www.ucas.com/getting/how/data.html
Reply 11

hey thanks queeno
Reply 12
Another benefit of getting the forms from UCAS is that in theory the data relating to you also includes the information about when they recieved your form...which could be quite helpful if you cut things a bit fine on the deadline and one of your uni choices is being a bit funny about it.

In theory the data protection act also applies to any university you attend an interview at - which means for the price of a tenner a time you can have access to the interviewers notes on you (this also applies to job aplications)...handy if you feel like you aced it and still got rejected :smile:
Reply 14
ooo good point PQ! i will have to demand all the notes made by the profs if im rejected from oxon again lol
Reply 15
mmm... or you could just ask your teacher if you can have a look!!! At my school loads of people saw their references they just asked!!
A useful bit of information.... but aren't most people shown their references as a matter of course? At my school everyone had to read through theirs and suggest improvements and additions.
Reply 17
I could have seen mine if I wanted but I wasn't too fussed, I saw about a line of it though. It's true though that some teachers prefer not to show them to their students, for whatever reason that may be - and if my teacher had been like that I would have felt awkward making a fuss about something like that.. I imagine that your teacher will tell you if there's anything in there you need to know for your interviews.. I guess I wouldn't consider paying £10 until I'd been rejected from everywhere and wanted to know why!
well my class asked to see our references under the data protection act but the reference writer said she would ask our headmistress .. we neva got a reply. she said it was all +ve tho. but yeh i wld like to c what they wrote.
so if i pay £10 now (i hvnt been interviewed yet) will i have to pay another £10 to get interview notes?
Reply 19
FunkyTeenAngel
well my class asked to see our references under the data protection act but the reference writer said she would ask our headmistress .. we neva got a reply. she said it was all +ve tho. but yeh i wld like to c what they wrote.
so if i pay £10 now (i hvnt been interviewed yet) will i have to pay another £10 to get interview notes?

i guess so. 'pencil queen' is the expert!

Latest