The Student Room Group

Gibbs Reflective Cycle

I am really struggling on the analysis aspect of Gibbs cycle, how can I break it down further than "Why did things happen? Back it up with key literature, What were the influences?"

I don't understand how to back up a personal account. I have done every other section and am really struggling with this one.
Reply 1
I've not done this formerly but I've just googled it and it sounds like just a formalisation of reflective practice.

Hard to say why things happened without knowing a few more specifics. Possibly bring in some biopsychosocial stuff? I suspect it needs to be some sort of psychological/sociological stuff anyway.

Havign said that - like I said earlier I've never been taught this stuff but that would make sense to me :smile:

HTH
Reply 2
Lady Jennington
I am really struggling on the analysis aspect of Gibbs cycle, how can I break it down further than "Why did things happen? Back it up with key literature, What were the influences?"

I don't understand how to back up a personal account. I have done every other section and am really struggling with this one.
is it in relation to an essay? if so what is the title?
Reply 3
The essay is based on a teaching event:
The first 500 words are a teaching plan - mine is based on teaching a client's daughter how to administer drugs through a PEG feed.

The last 1500 words are based on a reflective account using Gibbs reflective cycle, in the evaluation I talked about the planning aspect of the event being a good thing, but the daughter not wanting to learn theoretical aspects of drugs management leading to her failure in the practical aspect of the event, I also talked about how the timing of the teaching event was bad - being during a morning drugs round.

Now I have to analyse this
Reply 4
Sounds not a million miles away from an essay I've just finished

So why didn't the girl want to learn about the theoretical aspects?
Why are the theoretical aspects helpful (sounds a bit obvious but I bet there's some literature on it)?
How could you have tried to persuade her of the importance?

Just kicking a few ideas around - they could be rubbish!
Lady Jennington
The essay is based on a teaching event:
The first 500 words are a teaching plan - mine is based on teaching a client's daughter how to administer drugs through a PEG feed.

The last 1500 words are based on a reflective account using Gibbs reflective cycle, in the evaluation I talked about the planning aspect of the event being a good thing, but the daughter not wanting to learn theoretical aspects of drugs management leading to her failure in the practical aspect of the event, I also talked about how the timing of the teaching event was bad - being during a morning drugs round.

Now I have to analyse this

Have you tried Googling for it? I've never heard of Gibbs but found umpteen sources; many dealing directly with the type of task that you have given. You may find it more useful than asking on here. It will also give you other theories which you can refer to in the assignment.
Reply 6
Hey!

I have had to use Gibb's for some of our reflective essays in radiography... and I always found the analysis bit quite hard- and you almost feel you are repeating what you have said in the evaluation.

In the analysis I used to bring in psychological theories which were relevent to the situation. For example, are there any theories about why people are unwilling to learn particular things, which may have explained her behaviour? Are there any learning theories, which may highlight a different way you could have tried to teach her, making her more willing?

Basically, the analysis is all about applying theories to the situation which may have shaped its outcome. I usually got hold of an A-level psychology textbook as a starting point and went from there.
Once you have done that, the last bit of Gibb's about how you would deal with a similar situation should be easy, as you will have looked at all the relevent ideas in the analysis.

I hope that all makes sense :s-smilie:

Jo
Reply 7
there's a lot of stuff about what needs to be in place before people are willing to learn - Malcolm Knowles is a name to look for, although he's originally from education IMO it's highly relevant. There's a book by Vivian/Wivien E Coates that covers it and other relevant theory very well - just had it out of the library but can't remember the title - check your uni library

Ways of teaching - all sorts of stuff on learning styles - e.g. Honey and Mumford

you might like to look at self-efficacy (Bandura) and stuff by Azjan and Fishbein as well - expectancy-value theory as well as a whole lot of related stuff

stuff on the "sick role" (originally by Parsons) may be relevant too
Reply 8
Handed it in, used the health-belief model as literature
Reply 9
sounds good - I think most of the stuff I mentioned is part of that

just in case anyone wants to check the reference - it's Ajzan not Azjan
Eurgh I had to write an essay on a reflective model and chose Gibbs, however I had to relate the reflection to my practice which was actually kinda hard. :\
Reply 11
Thanks for this! Was really helpful :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest