The Student Room Group

[Past-Paper Questions] Of Mice and Men & Blood Brothers

Some people are asking for examples of past paper questions so yeah.. :biggrin:
I'm just gonna give you the 20 Marks questions where you don't have to read an extract.

Of Mice and Men
(b) Imagine you are George. At the end of the story you think back over your relationship with Lennie. Write down your thoughts and feelings. [20]

You may wish to think about:
- Your early time together.
- The time you spent at the ranch.
- The end of the story.

Or;

(c) Which character do you have most sympathy for? Write about your chosen character, explaining why you feel sympathy for him/her. [20]

---

(b) What do you think of Curly? [20]

Think about:
- His first appearance, in Chapter 2.
- His relationship with the other characters.
- The fight with Lennie.
- The way he speaks and behaves.

Or;

(c) George, Crooks, Curley's wife, Candy, and Lennie all have their dreams.

Write about the dreams of two of these characters. Explain why, in each case, the dream does not come true. [20]

---

(b) Imagine that George was charged with murder of Lennie. What could be said in his defence? [20]

Think about:
- The relationship between George and Lennie before they arrived at the ranch.
- What happened at the ranch.
- Their relationship with others on the ranch.
- The end of the novel.

Or;

(c) Write what happens in chapter 5, when Curley's wife is killed in the barn. What makes this part of the novel gripping and moving for the reader? [20]

*Will add more when i have time*

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blood Brothers
(b) Imagine that you are giving advice to the actor taking the part of Mrs Lyons in the play. Advise her how to present the character to an audience. If you wish, you may focus on specific parts of the play. [20]

Or;

(c) Remind yourself of the end of the play (from where Mickey is hammering on his door, calling for Linda). What makes this part of the play exciting and moving for an audience? [20]

---

(b) For which character do you have more sympathy, Mickey or Edward? Give detailed reasons for what you say. [20]

Or;

(c) What do you think of Mrs Johnstone? [20]

Think about:
- Her relationship with Mrs Lyons.
- Her relationship with Mickey and Edward.
- Her relationship with other characters.
- The way she speaks and behaves at different points in the play.

---

(b) Imagine you are Mrs Lyons. At the end of the play you think back over what has happened. Write your thoughts and feelings. Remember how Mrs Lyons would speak when you write your answer. [20]

Think about:
- Your feelings about Mrs Johnstone.
- Your relationship with Edward.
- Your feeling about what happened.

Or;

(c) What you think the Narrator adds to an audience's enjoyment and understanding of Blood Brothers? [20]

Think about:
- The different part he plays.
- What he says.
- The way he says it.

*I will add more when i have time*

For the time being, I hope there will help! :biggrin:
OH wow. I read both of those about 7 years ago, and could probably get full marks on them right now.
Reply 2
Near
Of Mice and Men(b) Imagine you are George. At the end of the story you think back over your relationship with Lennie. Write down your thoughts and feelings. [20]

You may wish to think about:
- Your early time together.
- The time you spent at the ranch.
- The end of the story.

I'm assuming this is for GCSE - is that really a question? Gosh. Oh dear.

And people say exams aren't being dumbed down.
Reply 3
Aconite
I'm assuming this is for GCSE - is that really a question? Gosh. Oh dear.

And people say exams aren't being dumbed down.

Apparently, yes it is a GCSE question.

What do you mean by dumbed down?
Reply 4
Near
Apparently, yes it is a GCSE question.

What do you mean by dumbed down?

I mean that it's basically a primary school "in their shoes" exercise. I remember writing similar things when I was about 9, so for it to be a GCSE question is shocking. Surely at 16 people should be able to critically analyse and answer a literary question?
Reply 5
Aconite
I mean that it's basically a primary school "in their shoes" exercise. I remember writing similar things when I was about 9, so for it to be a GCSE question is shocking. Surely at 16 people should be able to critically analyse and answer a literary question?

Ah, I see, but, you are quite simple. A question like this might seem straight forward so you'll choose to do in an exam but then you'll find out you only wrote only a paragraph or two - which is of course not good enough.

You need to dig deeper in the story to write enough to get something close to 20 marks.

It might seem easy. But it is fooling people. For a question like that i can't really think of writing loads. I'd find a question like this hard because I haven't got much to talk about.

Of couse, you might have a different opinion :smile:
Reply 6
Yeahhhhhh, maybe....

...except I'm 19, and not completely simple as I got 100% in my GCSE three years ago. And I certainly didn't choose the ridiculous "write a little story about George and Lenny" essay.
Reply 7
Aconite
Yeahhhhhh, maybe....

...except I'm 19, and not completely simple as I got 100% in my GCSE three years ago. And I certainly didn't choose the ridiculous "write a little story about George and Lenny" essay.

You can never get 100% in english x_x so I don't know where you got that from..
XD Ah~ O well...
You spelt Lennie wrong by the way :P
Reply 8
Yes, you can get 100% in English. I got that information from the letter they sent me.

I don't know why you started to be rude and offensive about this. I stated an opinion on one of the questions and you took it personally - why? Did you set the questions? :s-smilie:
Reply 9
Huh? what? Rude and offensive? You must've took it the wrong way. I had no intension whatsoever to sound rude. Please forgive me if i sounded like that.

Wow, you are now officially my hero! I never knew you could ever get 100% in english. My teachers have told me that thousands of times. They say that even shakespear cant get 100%. I guess they were wrong. I am really sorry if i have offended you in any way.

I really admire you! You're awesome! you're amazing!... (I could go on...). Seriously, that's amazingly well done!

Again, please forgive me if i sounded rude - I really didn't mean it.

Latest

Trending

Trending