The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Question and Answer Thread

Scroll to see replies

The reason that term starts on a fri is when all the accommodation used to be 30 week lets (or sumat like that) and the friday was the day people could collect their keys.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 1041
hey i was wondering what the tv reception is like in peoples room? will freeview be available? wb x
Reply 1042
No, they don't get annoyed. If they do, who cares, that's their job! Parcels are delivered to your porter's lodge every day. They sign for them if they are recorded delivery. Then they put up a list to say who has parcels to collect. And you have to prove your ID to get it from them.
Sometimes it can be a bit difficult to catch them in the lodge. I once had to wait 4 days to collect a package.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1043
nolybear
hey i was wondering what the tv reception is like in peoples room? will freeview be available? wb x

Depends where you are - reception varies across campus. I'm in SW and get all the terrestrial channels, but Channel 4 is poor. Flatmates with Freeview boxes don't seem to have too much diffculty.
Reply 1044
If you make really good friends with the porter they might even ring you when your packages come in :wink:
zooeyj
If you make really good friends with the porter they might even ring you when your packages come in :wink:

Wow! Really? I should try that... I didn't know making friends wiht the porters could have that much in the way of benefits... I'm impressed that they know my name though!
nolybear

I'm in Fylde, and we have an inbuilt ariel so we get great reception.. I have a freeview box and I can get all the channels :smile:

Think Furness new buildings have the same.
DannyOwens
The reason that term starts on a fri is when all the accommodation used to be 30 week lets (or sumat like that) and the friday was the day people could collect their keys.

Thanks. It's nice to know they have an actual reason. :smile:
nolybear

I was on SW in first year and had to get a cable thing from argos to get all the channels properly that plugged into the wall but it was only 2 quid or something!

Im in a house in town now (for second year) and the reception is pretty bad, but thats probably cos our landlady wont fix the aerial :s-smilie:

Thank god for BBC Iplayer!! lol! :biggrin:
Reply 1049
Out of interest, are there any plans to expand the gym? I was shocked at how small it was when I visited, seems a touch too pricy for the membership.
There are indeed plans for a new gym. It was a hot debate topic regarding the Sabbatical team this year, so hopefully there will be plans coming soon!
There better be a new gym, its smells kinda skank at the mo!! :tongue:
Reply 1052
It'd be a good job if they did do it up, seriously £130 a year? Rip-off! In college we have a Lifestyle Fitness gym about 4 times the size, all mod-con and thats only £40 for three months membership.
you would probs get more use out of the uni gym than your college one due to the proximity of it to your residence!
Reply 1054
DannyOwens
you would probs get more use out of the uni gym than your college one due to the proximity of it to your residence!

Yeh true I guess. I suppose it balances out.
Reply 1055
Okay..

The new Sports Centre will be built where the Pavillion currently stands and will be open and ready to use October 2010 as far as I am aware.

The £130 a year is pricey and if you're here for 30 weeks a year it works out at over £4 a week but call it a fiver with inflation.. That gives you free access and inductions to:
- Life Fitness Room
- Weights Room
- Swimming
- Saunas
- Aeroball
If you buy the Standard Membership, this year you pay:
- £1.05 for Life Fitness
- £2.55 (I think) for Weights Room (You also have to pay for inductions but don't know the prices)
- £1.65 for Pool
- £? for Sauna
- £2.10 for Aeroball

I think you also get free Squash but I can't remember. Basically if you go for a swim, weights and cardio sesh and a game of aeroball or squash a week then you'll be getting your money's worth. If you won't be using it that much, buy STANDARD!!

I had Premier in my first year, thinking I'd use it a lot because I didn't think I'd get into teh hockey first team, but I did and I play twice a week and train two/three times a week depending on what time of year it is. I'll occasionally go to the gym or for a swim when I have too much energy so I only got standard this year.

Lancaster is not known for its sporting prowess and its facilities do mirror this. They are trying though and we are going up the BUSA/BUCS ratings.
Reply 1056
The weights room is abit like a prison weights room (minus the raping in the showers...)
If you have standard member ship you have to pay to book out a squash court, and for kit hire, yet if you get someone who has full membership to book the squash court then its free and you can usually blag yourself in :biggrin:, pools good times...
Reply 1057
great, the new gym will be ready for the year I am out on an internship!
Reply 1058
ready for your third/fourth year.. worked all the kinks out then!!

at least you get to use it!!
Two questions really -

Do all the bars have Sky and Setanta and if so do they usually show all the live sport ?

The phones in the room can you ring them off a normal phone and if so is it normal rates ?

Quick Reply

Latest