The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
the S1 canddates seem to have found the exam 'iffy.'
for those of you re-sitting...do you think the M1 exam will be easier?
Reply 21

This is the Edexcel Thread, that's an AQA paper.
Reply 22
EvenStevens
This is the Edexcel Thread, that's an AQA paper.

And it isn't M1...

...and it's gcse.
Reply 23
I've just printed off 17 M1 past papers to do for Wednesday...
I'm determined to get 100UMS in the upcoming exam.
Reply 24
I hear you need 66/75 raw marks for an A. Is this true? Because that's crazy. I'm hoping it's around 56 for an A because I may just scrape it. Anyone got any more hints> I need all the help I can get.
Junker
I hear you need 66/75 raw marks for an A. Is this true? Because that's crazy. I'm hoping it's around 56 for an A because I may just scrape it. Anyone got any more hints> I need all the help I can get.

well you need 80% for an A, unfortunately i cant work it out mark wise - going out on a thurs is not good - you dont wanna know how long it took to write this!
Junker

using normal distribution the grade boundaries are changed every year

i.e. if its a hard paper most people will get about 30/75 maybe this will be set a 50 % mark and so to get a 100% you only need 60+

however this works if its an easy paper, you get less ums then actual percentage

but i dont think its that simple, cause it means anyone with less the X marks on an easy paper gets 0% which isnt fair

but basically - grade boundaries change =P

ah! well its eliminatory my dear friend

you see, this is a rare type of paper is know as a 'trick paper' i havent seen one in years infact, what they do is send out the answers to all questions and dont tell you the questions themselves

the point of the exam is not to test you - simply to annoy you!

now two points to remember when doing these types of papers are

1) it helps having the questions to answer in the first place.

2) it helps posting in an AQA* GCSE* MATHEMATICS* thread, over an Edexcel* Mechanics* A level* thread

so to be fair, its more 4 things you need to correct with your post - then we can help
I am rather in a fix now..I did study for M1 for like 2 months till February.
Havent studied properly since then!!
I was wondering if I start intense revision from tomorrow(17th) do I have any chance of getting a respectable grade..
Sounds like a stupid question but is M1 harder than S1?
Reply 29
I think M1 is easier than S1... but that's because S1 is terrible <_<

I haven't studied M1 since early April and I've started revision again today.
It's completely realistic to get 100UMS if you just work solidly and consistently from now 'till the exam.

Well, that's my plan :wink:
Yeah bro..That's what I plan on doing!!
What if you just started the Heinemann book from Chapter 1??
Coz I seem to have forgotten evrything and I mean everything!!
Reply 31
Is it just me or are some of the Exam Q's in Review exercise 2 much harder than the questions in past papers(2005 onwards anyway)? Anyone know why?
EvenStevens

Can I then laugh at you if you get 99 UMS? :laugh:
Reply 33
Junker

isn't is usually 80% A

70% B
etc......??
Reply 34
I think Junker means raw marks on the paper.
EvenStevens

Me too! :smile:
We can do it!!!
I would love it if I got it in M2 as well, on the same day, but that may be a lil ambitious...
But yeaaaah I hope we pull it off!
Inquilaab
Is it just me or are some of the Exam Q's in Review exercise 2 much harder than the questions in past papers(2005 onwards anyway)? Anyone know why?

Mmhmm, I found that too. I have those Heinemann "Revise For" guides and some of the questions in there are tricky...but all good practice :smile:
Now I fully appreciate why my scary maths teacher was such a bastard to us the whole year- we find the questions easy now, it was worth the crying haha :redface:
Reply 37
anyone find it hard? =\
good luck my fellow Mechanics 1 soldiers.

I salute you.
rahulsood
anyone find it hard? =\

Not since doing the likes of C4, which I am appalling at, no.

But I will be honest, it has taken me MONTHS to understand everything the way I do now. We finished M1 and much of M2 well before Easter and I remember getting about 42% on an M1 mock back in Feb.
However, I've sorted myself out, tied the loose ends together and fingers Xd I know most of my stuff now. Please don't lose hope, it will gradually click. It's probably because you've never done anything like it before (I certainly hadn't).
:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending