The Student Room Group

Guide to How to Revise Effectively?

How to Revise Effectively?

This may be a little late for some people, but I was inspired to make this having seen so many people worried, depressed and generally down over exams, so here is a guide I use:

My
Step 1: Understand

Study the topic to be learnt slowly

Make sure you understand the key points and concepts

Mark up the text if necessary underline, highlight etc

Re-read each paragraph slowly

GO TO STEP 2

Step 2: Summarise

Now make your revision note summary

What is the main idea, theme, concept?

What are the main points? How does the logic develop?

Use bullet points, minds maps, patterned notes

Link ideas using mnemonics, mind maps, crazy stories

Note the title and date of the revision notes
[INDENT](E.g. Mathematics, Trigonometry, 3rd March)[/INDENT]

Organise the notes carefully and keep them in a file

This is now in your short term memory. You will forget 80% of it, if you don’t
go to step 3. GO TO STEP 3, but first take a break.

Step 3: Memorise

Take 25 minutes learning ‘bites’ with 5 min breaks

After each 5 min break test your self

Cover the original notes summary

Write down the main points

Speak it loud

Tell someone else

Repeat many times

The material is now in your long term memory. You will forget 40% of it, if
you don’t go to step 4. GO TO STEP 4.

Step 4: Track/Review

Create a revision diary (one A4 page per day)

Make a revision plan for each topic

E.g. 1 day later, I week later, 1 month later.

Record this in your revision diary

[INDENT] Mathematics, Trigonometry, 3rd March 25 minutes
Mathematics, Trigonometry, 10rd March 15 minutes
Mathematics, Trigonometry, 3rd April 15 minutes
... and then at monthly intervals [/INDENT]

Where should I revise?

[INDENT] Find somewhere quiet and comfy with a good light. It is important that it is quiet as it is the best way to concentrate (so turn pause that Michael Bublé song!) after all you sit exams in silence. A library would be ideal, otherwise ask your friends and family to have some consideration. [/INDENT]

Make a revision timetable ... :afraid:

[INDENT] .... yes and try to stick to it .… and this requires will power and I always feel guilty when I have to add x to tomorrow’s to-do-list.
Make sure the timeable has all the subjects ... quite obvious so no excuses!
Mix your strong and weak subjects so you don’t do all of your difficult subjects on the same day. [/INDENT]

Distractions

[INDENT] TV, computer games, PSP, Wii, TSR Chat ask yourself this: “would you rather redo a module for the sake of MSN chatting, watching that movie when you have tonnes or going out with mates when you don’t have time for it” [/INDENT]

Practise Past Papers

[INDENT] Practise makes perfect and it’s true - this is essential.
Do as many as possible and use the mark scheme to make comparisons to understand what examiners are looking for. [/INDENT]

If you start your revision early, plan your revision carefully and follow your plan with those past papers, your chances of success are greatly enhanced.

Good luck to all sitting exams now and in future! :star:

Scroll to see replies

Now that I have put my section up, just thought it would be great to start an actual thread on studying habits. People who have seen great results please respond and let us know how you study and what was effective for you. So others can take some pointers.
lol im revising atm :biggrin: i find for psychology use a white board (u can buy a relatively medium sized one from tesco for like 3 quid lol) and just keep re writing and re writing everything for a topic, look back through your notes see what u missed and write again!
What a good good boy. That's a very helpful guide.
Reply 4
xjust_an_angelx
lol im revising atm :biggrin: i find for psychology use a white board (u can buy a relatively medium sized one from tesco for like 3 quid lol) and just keep re writing and re writing everything for a topic, look back through your notes see what u missed and write again!

I did this for my psychology exam lol. Just i used paper rather than a white board. But that is actually a really good idea to use a white board, I would never have thought of doing that... of to tesco i go tomorrow lol
Mastermind`
What a good good boy. That's a very helpful guide.

I am good boy! ;yes;
Reply 6
Excellent guide, now stickyfied! :smile:
suuuuuuseh
Excellent guide, now stickyfied! :smile:

:hugs: :kiss: Thankies

OK - No more spamming ...
Reply 8
whit boards definitely useful! using mine now to draw a mind map about italian history.
thanks for this Lord. you get my rep for today :smile:
Yeah, this is the guide that they put in the Letts revision guides. It's really good, especially if you stick to it. Might actually try that, when the next set of exams come around...:p:
Also, make sure you have somewhere clean to do your work. Also I can't do work in my bedroom because of my computer and tv etc (i think i associate the room with play+sleep), but if i work in the living room i get a lot done.
I always find it really helpful to do one past paper before I've done any revision, then when I go back to looking at it the night before my exam, I realise how much more I know now. That always makes me feel better about myself and my chances.
Reply 12
thanx for the ideas guys. ive found that the whiteboard mind mapping is really workin 4 me :biggrin:
Reply 13
Love it.

Thanks for that Lord H!
Clefeen
Love it.

Thanks for that Lord H!

no probs mate :biggrin:
Reply 15
Hey

I do most of that you have mentioned for my effective revision but I do 1Hours slots for different subjects then followed with a 30min break so my brain relaxs and remembers the information and luckly it works!

What do you think about it?

Amit
Reply 16
the white board for mind maps sounds great, gonna use this guide next year lol seeing as i've finished this year, great guide thanks alot for sharing - it's similar to the one in my physics book but more eloquently written, thanks again!
Reply 17
OMG - The guide has all been copied - I was just reading my Letts KS3 Maths book and 90% of it is all from the book.
Asheeers
OMG - The guide has all been copied - I was just reading my Letts KS3 Maths book and 90% of it is all from the book.

so what?
Not everyone can access Letts, and I so happen to think it is worth it.
Reply 19
Lord Hysteria
so what?
Not everyone can access Letts, and I so happen to think it is worth it.

wtf are you on about? you obviously copied it out of a letts book and claimed it as your own. That's plagarism and can get you into some serious trouble.....:biggrin: