The Student Room Group

Am I completely doomed?

Just got my report through the post. Thank GOD my mum was out. It has to be the worst thing I've ever seen:

Attendance- 104 sessions out of 277
Lates- 68

Detentions - 0 (I assume I wasn't in to receive them)

English Language - Estimated Grade: B, Effort: E
The situation is critical. Virginia continues to raise stress in the English faculty due to her reluctance/wilful refusal to hand in work. She has thus far failed to hand in her investigation coursework. Without this coursework she will simply fail this subject at A Level. Virginia is outrageously talented. Why should time management and organisation be beyond her control? Come on Virginia!

English Literature - Estimated Grade: A, Effort: D
She is an able and intelligent pupil with an enquiring mind capable of close analysis and critical judgment. She writes fluently and accurately and to tackle texts in an inventive and unique manner that is lively yet remains eminently academic. She still owes major coursework and has not handed in a single essay over the course of the year. There are huge gaps in her knowledge due to her attendance.

Politics - Estimated Grade: A, Effort: E
Virginia continues to provide surprises! Despite having a very poor record of attendance throughout the year she is sitting on an A Grade at AS level but this will not be transformed into an A at A Level unless she generates a thorough set of revision notes. She is desperately short of essay writing practise, having failed to submit a single piece of homework throughout year 13.

So am I doomed to being like this all my life?
Do I have a personality problem?
A problem with laziness. Is anyone else like me?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Aren't you a rebel.
Reply 2
Screw the effort estiamates, its your actual achieved grades that matter.
Reply 3
Yuffie
Just got my report through the post. Thank GOD my mum was out. It has to be the worst thing I've ever seen:

Lates- 68

The situation is critical. Virginia continues to raise stress in the English faculty due to her reluctance/wilful refusal to hand in work. She has thus far failed to hand in her investigation coursework. Without this coursework she will simply fail this subject at A Level. Virginia is outrageously talented. Why should time management and organisation be beyond her control? Come on Virginia!

She is an able and intelligent pupil with an enquiring mind capable of close analysis and critical judgment. She writes fluently and accurately and to tackle texts in an inventive and unique manner that is lively yet remains eminently academic. She still owes major coursework and has not handed in a single essay over the course of the year. There are huge gaps in her knowledge due to her attendance.

Virginia continues to provide surprises! Despite having a very poor record of attendance throughout the year she is sitting on an A Grade at AS level but this will not be transformed into an A at A Level unless she generates a thorough set of revision notes. She is desperately short of essay writing practise, having failed to submit a single piece of homework throughout year 13.

GTFO from this forum. Do your stuff, it's not that bad.
Three A2s isn't exactly something that you could be lazy about, considering there are people sitting six or even seven.
And what's with the attendance?

You're not doomed, you can change!
Reply 4
Reue
Screw the effort estiamates, its your actual achieved grades that matter.

I'm really worrying though. I've never seen Es in a report before :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Hey, I think I might have seen something like this before.

That would be my Lower Sixth report. Ha.

Admittedly it wasn't quite as bad as yours (I like the estimated grades vs the effort grades) but it contained lines such as "haven't seen one piece of translation" and "often not in the lesson".

I've since completely turned it around, if it's any comfort. Miracles can happen.
Reply 6
What do you want us to say? No, you're not 'doomed' if you actually pull your finger out...
Reply 7
My god, just buck up and do some work.
Your not doomed, just lazy.
Reply 8
Will uni be like this as well? Is it an inherent trait?
Reply 9
Rofl you're ****ed unless you seriously change something about your attitude.
Reply 10
Yuffie

Lates- 68

I take it your teacher is telepathic if they are able to comment on your superb writing skills without you having handed in a piece of work.
Reply 11
Aconite
Hey, I think I might have seen something like this before.

That would be my Lower Sixth report. Ha.

Admittedly it wasn't quite as bad as yours (I like the estimated grades vs the effort grades) but it contained lines such as "haven't seen one piece of translation" and "often not in the lesson".

I've since completely turned it around, if it's any comfort. Miracles can happen.

Thanks! How did you do it?
Reply 12
Amy_J
I take it your teacher is telepathic if they are able to comment on your superb writing skills without you having handed in a piece of work.

I did my coursework for that subject, and he's had me every year since year 7 when I used to do them.
You should address the root problem. Why don't you attend lessons? I get high attendance because I go to almost all my lessons, take the worksheets then basically fall asleep in some of them (especially Eng.Lang...) Being lazy and going to classes isn't mutually exclusive, you can be both.
Reply 14
Yuffie

Naaw, I usually put in minimal effort during the year at uni and then work like mad in the last 2 weeks. Seems to work fine for me as I am still passing all modual with decent grades.
Reply 15
Yuffie
Thanks! How did you do it?

I had a shock and pulled me finger out. Simple as. I was a lazy **** all through school, mainly because I didn't have to put loads of effort in to do well. However, a rejection from Oxford and a subsequent bad grade gave me the kick up the arse I sorely needed. I managed to get myself onto a semester program at Yale and by God, I worked there. It seems to have broken the habits of a lifetime - which is good, as I've actually got a place at Oxford now.
I got **** like this all the time throughout secondary school, As and now A2; still managed to get a's in all my coursework and a high B in my english module. Depends on how well you're able to take in information without doing any actual work, if that makes sense
Yuffie

my advice would be to take a year out after your A levels. find the worst job you can, realise how difficult it will be to live if you don't get through uni and then go to uni with more of a motivation to do well. find goals which really mean something, not just grades which when you get them mean **** all.

you sound just like me, as soon as education wasn't compulsory i just couldn't be arsed. didn't want to be there and didn't see the point. you're lucky you've got your AS grades behind you. you shouldn't end up with terrible results, but if you really kicked yourself up the arse now you could still do well. however, easier said than done. :frown:

good luck with it, and at least you've had a bit of a shock now and still have time to do some work.
Just stop being lazy! You can't expect to get good grades without trying. I can't believe you've actually put this as a thread to be honest - its so straight forward just stop being lazy!
Reply 19
I'm just about in the same situation (though my grades are slightly better).
It's obvious your heart isnt in what you're doing, I have a problem with attendance too, and I don't go in because I hate being in the place. Are you the same? I'm going to go against the grain and suggest making some back-up plans for what you want to do next year/september. Do a couple of brainstorms into where you can see yourself in 5 years and what you want to have achieved. Ask yourself if uni is really the career move for you, and if so do you need to take another year doing your a levels?
It's difficult to complete something if you lack passion. I'd know. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending