The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Where abouts are these black sores? If they're around the hip area they are probably just his scent glands, which basically are like big black spots.
Reply 2
emmab7654321
Where abouts are these black sores? If they're around the hip area they are probably just his scent glands, which basically are like big black spots.

Yeah they are both near the hip area! So it could be them then? What are they? Also could they be anything more serious?

Reply 3
Scent glands are basically what hamsters use to attract a mate :p: They are also used to mark territory, they go round rubbing them on stuff lol.
They're especially more prominent in male hamsters, so I assume that's what these are on your hamster. They do look worrying when you first see them but they're perfectly normal :smile:
Reply 4
emmab7654321
Scent glands are basically what hamsters use to attract a mate :p: They are also used to mark territory, they go round rubbing them on stuff lol.
They're especially more prominent in male hamsters, so I assume that's what these are on your hamster. They do look worrying when you first see them but they're perfectly normal :smile:

Phew! i was worried he had cancer or something :frown: thanks for all your help!

Latest