The Student Room Group

What is the difference between an MSci/MChem/MPhys and a BSc?

I know the BSc is only 3 yrs and the others mostly 4 years but what other differences are there?

Also, does the "M" in MSci/MChem/MPhys etc stand for "Masters" and if so are they actually regarded as a masters degree on the same level as a MSc or are they on the same sort of level as a Bachelors degree?

Cheers
Reply 1
As far as I'm aware the M stands for Masters, an MSc is Master of Science, the others (MPhys etc) are simply more specific names.
Reply 2
Alcohol5%
I know the BSc is only 3 yrs and the others mostly 4 years but what other differences are there?

Also, does the "M" in MSci/MChem/MPhys etc stand for "Masters" and if so are they actually regarded as a masters degree on the same level as a MSc or are they on the same sort of level as a Bachelors degree?

Cheers

MChem/MPhys/MSci refer to undergraduate masters degrees. A BSc is an undergraduate degree, at a Bachelor's level.
Reply 3
calumc
As far as I'm aware the M stands for Masters, an MSc is Master of Science, the others (MPhys etc) are simply more specific names.

But there's a MSc and an MSci, which do you mean?
Reply 4
Alcohol5%
But there's a MSc and an MSci, which do you mean?

MSci is Natural science, at least according to Google/Acronym finder.
Reply 5
calumc
MSci is Natural science, at least according to Google/Acronym finder.

M.Sc. is short for Master of Science. M.Sci is short for Master of Science or Master in Science, depending on the awarding institution.

The M.Sci., M.Chem., M.Phys. etc. are enhanced first degrees, whereas the M.Sc. is a postgraduate degree. They are both on the Master level. The undergraduate Master degrees were introduced around ten years ago to provide greater depth and possibly research or a year abroad.
hornblower
M.Sc. is short for Master of Science. M.Sci is short for Master of Science or Master in Science, depending on the awarding institution.

The M.Sci., M.Chem., M.Phys. etc. are enhanced first degrees, whereas the M.Sc. is a postgraduate degree. They are both on the Master level. The undergraduate Master degrees were introduced around ten years ago to provide greater depth and possibly research or a year abroad.

So is there any difference now, between getting an MSc within a 4 year degree, against a 3 year BSc + post grad masters (in terms of employability and research opportunities)? - although it seems much more common to do a 4 year MSc for those wanting to go into research/industry.
Doing a postgraduate masters can cost a lot more than doing an extra year on an UG BSc. Unless you can get funding from a research council then you're likely to have to pay fees of £6k-£10k depending on the subject and the uni (and these are payable up front).

I'm not 100% sure but I think post grads aren't eligible for a student loan either while people on a 4 year course can get a student loan and pay lower fees for all 4 years.

However an MSci/MPhys etc is sometimes considered slightly lesser than a BSc + 1yr post grad MSc....it all depends on the university you're studying at and how in depth your modules and dissertations are (most MSci students do 2 research projects/dissertations IIRC).

In most cases for funding purposes it makes more sense to apply for the 4 year course - it's much easier to swap downwards if you decide that you don't want a career in the subject a year or so in than to swap upwards if you decide you do want to do the 4 yr course after starting on the 3 yr one.
as far as applying for PhDs an MSci (or equivalent) and a postgrad MSc are regarded on a similar standing.
Thanks.

Latest

Trending

Trending