The Student Room Group

My EYES!

The last couple of days I have had really horrible hayfever, my eyes are really itchy, sticky, gooey, sore etc and swollen. Its so bad that it was enough to make my mum take me to the local hospital :eek: :eek: (but left as 1 hour q and went to chemists instead). When it gets really bad my eyelids turn inside out.

I am on Loratidine (generic claritin) daily- but recently I have had to take up to 3/4 doses in a 24hr period (Your only supposed to have 1) before it has any effect. It takes ages to work. I am also on eyedrops- but they only work for a little while, and I have to apply it religiously every 2-3 hours and then if I dont it just comes back :frown:

Anything stronger worth trying?

:s-smilie: :frown: :frown:
Reply 1
Maybe your Gp can prescribe something stronger ?
Yeah I'd seriously recommend a doctor ASAP, otherwise you could just be doing harm to yourself.
Yep I agree with whats been said above. You need to go and see your GP right away in order to get an alternative.
I don't think tablets from the chemist sound like they're going to cut it really.

Its not good taking more than your recommended dosage either. Even if you are in great pain, you shouldnt have to go over the maximum limit or you could damage your health even more.
Reply 4
If it's really bad, and yours is, then I think you can have an injection. But your doctor needs to decide if its worth it because there are side effects!
I had loratadine last year for hayfever and didn't seem to help much. This year my gp prescribed something stronger (for the life of me I can't remember what it's called, sorry, still has loratadine in the name) and it seems to be working (touch wood). Definitely go to your GP!
Reply 6
Try staggering different ones in addition to what you're already taking... cetirizine (zyrtec), diphenhydramine (benadryl), fexofenadine (telfast). Try to buy generic stuff for cheapness although some people say they find certain brands work while others don't (my brother swears by Superdrug's cetirizine over even the branded stuff), so you can try shopping around.

I've heard of H2 receptor antagonists being used although in theory they shouldn't really help (they're supposed to help with stomach acid)... but you can try adding in some generic ranitidine if you're desperate (costs like 10p a tablet so why not try it?).
Just found out the one im using is called levocetirizine and the make is Xyzal. Works for me and didn't cost me a dime on the NHS.
benadryl are the only ones that work for me - try different shop types, then if they dont work at all, go to the doctors, but yours does seem to be extreme - i would definitely go back to the doctors and say you need something strong!
Reply 9
What eye drops are you taking?
i take loratadine and it doesnt seem to work. maybe youve built up a tolerance? go see your doctor straight away they can definitely help.
Reply 10
i have been like this and the doctor put me on steroids for it and it definately helped. definately go to your doctor - they will see you as an emergnecy if your hayfever is as bad as it sounds. when my first did what you are saying i couldnt see because my eyes became so swollen - i was sent to hospital by my gp. hayfever can be a lot worse than people think so dont feel silly about going to the docs. and pref go when its at its worst so the doc can see how much you are suffering.
Clarityn is ****. Get your GP to give you Cetirizine (trade name Zirtek), or just buy it over the counter if you can't be arsed to see the doc. Also get some opticrom eyedrops.
I've had really bad hayfever since I was about 10 (my eyeball turned brown from the pollen once :/ ) since then ive had eyedrops which keep changing every year and tablets. The tablets I use on prescription are called telfast which are really really good. I wake up constantly sneezing and as soon as i take one i stop! but you can only get them on prescription, so i'd go see your doctor
This is a matter for the immediate and urgent attention of your GP.
or - if you're under 18 and still in full time education you can go to your local high-street optician who should be able to provide you with a free sight test and health check and could give you a signed order for medication. However, it's quite possible they tell you just to get yourself to the GP.
Reply 14

Clarityn is ****. Get your GP to give you Cetirizine (trade name Zirtek), or just buy it over the counter if you can't be arsed to see the doc. Also get some opticrom eyedrops.

I have tried Cetirizine, and that has never worked for me :frown: You have reminded me of something though- on holiday last year I used Benedryl - which was fab. Benedryl does work, but is rather expensive...might ask for that on perscription if I have another episode. Thankfully today I seem to be ok.

Latest

Trending

Trending