The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Well, I guess that's okay then.
You're not Somali(originally/ethnically), are you?
Reply 82
Nope. Although I am hoping to do aid work there.
Really? I'm guessing the North, Somaliland?
Reply 84
Whereever the Aid company will put me :p:

But I do hope to as a future aspiration, be involved in development either politically or economically (i.e. World Bank/IMF)
e-lover
Whereever the Aid company will put me :p:

But I do hope to as a future aspiration, be involved in development either politically or economically (i.e. World Bank/IMF)

Oh dear....
Reply 86
I meant lobbying, AU, etc etc. :p:
Reply 87
Plus with all the problems around that region, a political intervention is required. Somalia is a failed state.
Because the 'President' that is currently being supported by the certain superpowers is your typical money-hungry sorry excuse for a human-being.

Political intervention or impose your political views to 'help' them?

I can almost guarantee you, your political (or religious) views aren't going to welcomed in the slightest.
Reply 89
They don't have to be welcomed.
Glad to see you're realistic at the very least.
Reply 91
To be serious, I wouldn't be there to impose my views. Just be there to help out with the humanitarian efforts.
Fair enough.
Reply 93
What do you plan 2 do with your Chem degree?
How do you know I'm doing chemistry?

Well I intend to work in the pharmaceutical industry InshAllah or just research centres but you know, Allah(swt) is the best of Planners.
Reply 95
It's because I'm watching your activities with the secret services ....

... Note: I'm not watching your activities. I once remember talking (arguing) with you and you were talking about worrying about A-levels. lol ... I have a photographic memory :p:
Reply 96
Love for Somaliland & Somalia.

Sorry but I have to put my 2 cents in to this discussion. Dunno If it makes sense but Im all for Somaliland and it's recognition as that is where my heritage lies. However I would like to see the reconciliation between botht he North and South counterparts on the basis of Islam. I think the current situation in South Somalia is extremely sad and disheartening. However, when my mum tells me about the stories mostly involving the actions of Siyad Barre:rolleyes: then I realise that the civil war was not long ago ( the year I was born 1988). People still remember what happened and as nice enough as it is that our generation want this reconciliation but we never experienced the civil war, we wasn't there to see all the pain and anger and physically there to fight. I think our efforts and du'as should be directed at the innocent children, women and men that are struggling and pray that peace arrives soon.

*Sobs*:frown:
Lujayne
Love for Somaliland & Somalia.

Sorry but I have to put my 2 cents in to this discussion. Dunno If it makes sense but Im all for Somaliland and it's recognition as that is where my heritage lies. However I would like to see the reconciliation between botht he North and South counterparts on the basis of Islam. I think the current situation in South Somalia is extremely sad and disheartening. However, when my mum tells me about the stories mostly involving the actions of Siyad Barre:rolleyes: then I realise that the civil war was not long ago ( the year I was born 1988). People still remember what happened and as nice enough as it is that our generation want this reconciliation but we never experienced the civil war, we wasn't there to see all the pain and anger and physically there to fight. I think our efforts and du'as should be directed at the innocent children, women and men that are struggling and pray that peace arrives soon.

*Sobs*:frown:

Agreed.
Which is why I think that it's probably our generation or the next that will be able to reconcile the two sides. After all, what Siad Barre did isn't a representative of the South...The finger pointing never leads to anywhere; a state where the law is based on the Quran and Sunnah can lead to great things on the other hand.
e-lover
It's because I'm watching your activities with the secret services ....

... Note: I'm not watching your activities. I once remember talking (arguing) with you and you were talking about worrying about A-levels. lol ... I have a photographic memory :p:

A-levels? I took my A-levels in June '06 and took a gap year afterwards. I didn't decide on Chemistry until the September ('06) after I finished my A-levels and then applied applied for Sept. '07 entry.

I smell something fishy....
On much lighter note; my family had a few guests around the other day and whilst I was on the phone with my younger sister she told me that there was this little girl (aged 4) that was speaking Somali so fluently she sounded like an adult who has never left Somalia . Now, I like to flatter myself and say I speak Somali much better than my younger siblings but they do tend to understand pretty well (except my youngest brother).

I was told that this little girl was trying to get my younger brother to help get her a glass of water (she couldn't reach the cups in the kitchen) and she kept asking him in Somali, to which he kept replying 'huh??'. She got so annoyed with him, she turned to my sisters (who were laughing at the communication barrier between the two) and said ...

'Dabaal miya?!'
'Is he r.etarded or something?'

Now, my lil brother understood that and just stood there and said that he wasn't and what she said was rude. She replied...

'Dagaha maxa iskutiresa then?'
'Then why are you playing deaf?'

The funny bit is that my brother didn't understand that part! She then turned to him and said 'oh are you doing it again? ....ufffffffff' and went to my sisters.

Wallahi, this little girl managed to figure out my lil brother in the few hours she was there.
I love him to bits, but goodness at the age of 15 his Somali is non-existent. At least the rest of us understand it (speaking is a different matter altogether)...but he's horrible.

Oh I can't wait to go home!