The Student Room Group

Indians in Ireland

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
soggylettuce
plus because so many are poor and uneducateed, they are often resentfull of colored peoples who take their jobs awaaay.
Ireland is the fifth richest country in the world. The UK is 21st... get your facts right.
DenkMit
Ireland is the fifth richest country in the world. The UK is 21st... get your facts right.

There are still loads of poor and uneducated people. You think knackers respect Indians?
Reply 42
HeatherChandler
There are still loads of poor and uneducated people. You think knackers respect Indians?
Figures show that there's less of them than there are in the UK. That's all I was saying. There'll still always be ignorant people, regardless of wealth.
Reply 43
soggylettuce
not surprised.
ireland is not very welcoming of colored people, blacks and minorirites sicne irish are a mionority everywhere. so tehy get their own back in theuir cournty,

plus because so many are poor and uneducateed, they are often resentfull of colored peoples who take their jobs awaaay.

Contradictions galore...
Have you actually been to Ireland, or have you been reading a little too much of the Daily Mail?

I think, OP, you'll be treated very much the same in the UK in the cities. Obviously, rural ireland is still VERY rural, but saying that you shoudln't encounter any problems. Ireland is NOT poor, and the irish are NOT ignorant, unlike this guy. The town of Port Laoise now has the first black Mayor in Ireland, a refugee from Nigeria. Honestly, you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 44
I've travelled by boat UK-Ireland (does calculations in head.....) 108 times at least, and I have never needed to present my passport You do however need photo ID on flights.

Ooh but didn't 'they' say last month that because of changes in UK border patrol, there may be some checks when going up north? It was in the times, I don't know if it was a proposal or a definate.

Marcus is right in some respects. However, most of the large cities and towns do have a significant immigrant population, as do some smaller towns. Ireland is used to tourists, I honestly don't think you'll have a problem.
CSP
I've travelled by boat UK-Ireland (does calculations in head.....) 108 times at least, and I have never needed to present my passport You do however need photo ID on flights.

Ooh but didn't 'they' say last month that because of changes in UK border patrol, there may be some checks when going up north? It was in the times, I don't know if it was a proposal or a definate.

Marcus is right in some respects. However, most of the large cities and towns do have a significant immigrant population, as do some smaller towns. Ireland is used to tourists, I honestly don't think you'll have a problem.

I'm talking about travelling via Eurolines,where you must produce a passport at security checks,once you reach wales,having to go through these security checks at 4am in the cold,i think i remember.
marcusfox
I said "almost". And once again, you do not need a passport. I have travelled by boat more times than by plane. It is sufficient to just tell immigration that you are an Irish/UK national.

Marcus

Even 'almost' is completely inaccurate,the majority of the towns in the west of Ireland are overrun by the polish/brazilian/latvian community,to a point where it's becoming ridiculous.
When travelling with Eurolines from the UK -Ireland,you must get off the bus when at holyhead,and go through immigration checks,where you have to present your passport ,with your luggage,if you don't have a passport,you must fill out a form,and,particularly if your foreign like the OP,they may stop you from travelling . I have done this 6 times in the past month.
HeatherChandler

England has more 'knackers' than Ireland
westofirelandgirl19
Even 'almost' is completely inaccurate,the majority of the towns in the west of Ireland are overrun by the polish/brazilian/latvian community,to a point where it's becoming ridiculous.
When travelling with Eurolines from the UK -Ireland,you must get off the bus when at holyhead,and go through immigration checks,where you have to present your passport ,with your luggage,if you don't have a passport,you must fill out a form,and,particularly if your foreign like the OP,they may stop you from travelling . I have done this 6 times in the past month.

Polish, Brazilian and Latvian are not separate ethnic groups. I suppose you could say that some Brazilians "may look a bit foreign", which was probably why that poor guy was shot on the tube after being "mistaken" for a suicide bomber. Again, I'll re-iterate. You do not need a passport, although your carrier may insist on having appropriate photo ID, which is what happened in your case. Just check those links I provided.

Marcus
marcusfox
Polish, Brazilian and Latvian are not separate ethnic groups. I suppose you could say that some Brazilians "may look a bit foreign", which was probably why that poor guy was shot on the tube after being "mistaken" for a suicide bomber. Again, I'll re-iterate. You do not need a passport, although your carrier may insist on having appropriate photo ID, which is what happened in your case. Just check those links I provided.

Marcus

Sorry,I didn't realise you were completely singling out Indians as a minority:confused:

Yes you must present a passport at immigration checks to prove your nationality and must also give your reason for travelling ,which in particular would be the case for the OP who is neither english or Irish??,A chinese passenger,once on a Euroline bus failed to have a passport ,and was removed from the Euroline by immgration officers and stopped from travelling,and,presumably,stranded in Wales.
But perhaps I was just unlucky the 978767 times I travelled this way.
westofirelandgirl19
Sorry,I didn't realise you were completely singling out Indians as a minority:confused:

Yes you must present a passport at immigration checks to prove your nationality and must also give your reason for travelling,A chinese passenger,once on a Euroline bus failed to have a passport ,and was removed from the Euroline by immagration officers and stopped from travelling,and,presumably,stranded in Wales.
But perhaps I was just unlucky the 978767 times I travelled this way.

I wasn't. I just said that "Outside Dublin, Ireland is almost 100% white". Your argument that Brazilians, Polish and Latvians exist in great numbers is not relevant. They are generally white. Indians are not.

A Chinese person (nationality, not ethnic group) is not a national of the UK or ROI, but of China and hence needs a passport (and a visa). My point, and my first post to this thread, backed up by the sources I cited later, said that citizens of the UK (even if that citizen is a member of a minority ethnic group, Indian or otherwise) and the ROI do not need passports to travel between the two countries.

I'm willing to be proved wrong on this point, but it's unlikely, since I am correct. Saying "I was asked for my passport" is not proof. You used your passport as appropriate photo ID as required by your carrier.

Marcus
marcusfox
I wasn't. I just said that "Outside Dublin, Ireland is almost 100% white". Your argument that Brazilians, Polish and Latvians exist in great numbers is not relevant. They are generally white. Indians are not.

A Chinese person (nationality, not ethnic group) is not a national of the UK or ROI, but of China and hence needs a passport (and a visa). My point, and my first post to this thread, backed up by the sources I cited later, said that citizens of the UK (even if that citizen is a member of a minority ethnic group, Indian or otherwise) and the ROI do not need passports to travel between the two countries.

I'm willing to be proved wrong on this point, but it's unlikely, since I am correct. Saying "I was asked for my passport" is not proof. You used your passport as appropriate photo ID as required by your carrier.

Marcus

Colour isn't the issue the OP was concerned about,i think it was the general acceptance of foreign nationalities i.e are they discriminated against when applying for jobs etc. I know plenty of black/mixed race irish people:rolleyes:

Maybe,all I can say is my experiences when travelling ,but what i think is the case for the OP when travelling between the UK & Ireland it would be best to have a passport,how else would he prove he was a UK citizen.
westofirelandgirl19
Loughrea? wow..most of my family live there! Yeah I moved to London,and have been to almost every city in the UK ,maybe it's just me ,but I felt a 'coldness' about the other cities,bar London,maybe it had something to with the fact when I visited them I was on a train at 4:00am travelling from Leicester to London ,making stops at unappealling places such as 'nuneaton' and the like.

where by there, im on the roscmmon side by gailey bay, my house was a half mile from portrunny

soggylettuce

you wanna take that back mate? The irish education system is far better than the UK one I know i experianced both. Least the students in Ireland have respect for thier teachers, you ignorant little cretin

westofirelandgirl19
Yes you need a passport travelling between the UK & Ireland.

going by plane yes but thats becasue its standard by plane nowadays, going by coach and ferry you dont.

HeatherChandler

travellers dont respect anyone but thier own, your skin colour doesnt come into it. Of course the way tehy get treated, its hardly a suprise
I don't understand where this idea that Ireland is full of poor uneducated people is coming from. 200 years ago? Sure, we have skangers (chavs) and some areas have a problem with this, but not near as much as you hear about the UK..stab-proof school jumpers and all that. Here, people don't bring weapons to school, in general. You can't drop out before 16, and because everyone does 7 subjects for the Leaving, and subjects seen as 'soft' in the UK don't exist, you could argue that people receive a broader education here, more suited for a variety of uni courses.
It's Ironic how it's the ill-educated ,that make that generalisation about the Irish,it's a stereotype ,that we will never be rid of,unfortunate,but true
I wasn't aware such a stereotype existed 'til now. Today I learned a new word (suffice to say, with the aid of urbandictionary) "knackers" :proud:
StarsAreFixed
I don't understand where this idea that Ireland is full of poor uneducated people is coming from. 200 years ago? Sure, we have skangers (chavs) and some areas have a problem with this, but not near as much as you hear about the UK..stab-proof school jumpers and all that. Here, people don't bring weapons to school, in general. You can't drop out before 16, and because everyone does 7 subjects for the Leaving, and subjects seen as 'soft' in the UK don't exist, you could argue that people receive a broader education here, more suited for a variety of uni courses.

Limerick?

Marcus
Limerick's gangs are all grown up! It involves 4 families. There are teenagers who think the gangs are cool etc, the 'Limerick Thugz' bebo pages etc, but I still don't remember their being a case of them bringing weapons to school. I think they prfer the traditional non-weapon fights..

Knackers isn't very PC, considering it originally was an insulting word for Travellers, though now it refers to particularly skangery skangers too.
StarsAreFixed
Limerick's gangs are all grown up! It involves 4 families. There are teenagers who think the gangs are cool etc, the 'Limerick Thugz' bebo pages etc, but I still don't remember their being a case of them bringing weapons to school. I think they prfer the traditional non-weapon fights..

Knackers isn't very PC, considering it originally was an insulting word for Travellers, though now it refers to particularly skangery skangers too.

Heh, I was just ribbing. I know the Limerick situation.

Marcus
marcusfox

But how would someone foreign looking prove that he was a citizen of UK/ROI? Speak English? If that's the case, any foreigner who knows how to play the game can get on by.

Quick Reply

Latest