The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
P2B
ahh wicked ill do that 2moro

ye, im guna use the discount to get the new iPhone :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

i was prepared 2 buy it at full contract price, so 30% off just makes the deal amaaaaziinnggg :cool:

You can't get the I Phone on the discount because it is not standard traffis the o2 terms and condtions on the link state this.

Bad Luck:mad:
Reply 41
Hiya just wondering how long it takes from the group interview to starting work, if you pass all the interviews etc? Got my group interview today - I'm assuming that a lot of people will turn up in trackies so I'll go for a nice white shirt and dress trousers :smile:
Reply 42
sunspoon
Hiya just wondering how long it takes from the group interview to starting work, if you pass all the interviews etc? Got my group interview today - I'm assuming that a lot of people will turn up in trackies so I'll go for a nice white shirt and dress trousers :smile:

I had 2 more interviews after the group one. Then you do the induction etc, but you end up being paid for it all anyway (I got paid £75 before I'd even done any work).
Reply 43
sunspoon

No, i dont think alot of people will turn up in trackies. the interview process is harder than you think. i recently passes my interview and have the job, but over 250 people were interviewed and only four of us got jobs.
i applied at the end of april online, got my group interview around the end of may, then my secone interview on the 10th of june i think and then i finally found out i had the job on the 22nd of june lol, and last but not least i had my two induction days on the 30th of june and the 1st of july. i dont know if this is typical but if it is you could be starting some time in september
Reply 44
OP - Is it very rare for Waitrose to hire temporary staff? Whenever I've looked for vacancies, they've all been permanent.
Reply 45
EskimoJo
OP - Is it very rare for Waitrose to hire temporary staff? Whenever I've looked for vacancies, they've all been permanent.

Yes it is very unusual for them to take on temporary partners, this is due to the amount of training that each partner undertakes. Some branches do get "good" partners back on a "Zero"* Hours contract at Christmas, Summer and Easter, but you have to been working there for this to happen.

Keep your eye on jlpjobs.com.

* Any hours worked are put through as overtime, no limit on hours per week.
Reply 46
Lucy King
You can't get the I Phone on the discount because it is not standard traffis the o2 terms and condtions on the link state this.

Bad Luck:mad:

LOLLLL that's actual madness! I knew they'd do something like that! I went in2 my local O2 Store & phoned the central O2 HQ JUST 2 be sure I could use the discount. They all said 'ye no problem, aslong as you don't buy the iPhone from Carphone Warehouse' - and now theyve updated the website to show "Specifically you'll be able to get:

* 30% off pay monthly line rental (excluding iPhone tariffs) "

Eurrghh :mad: :mad: That really sucks, but I know a lot of people were phoning in asking about it cos it did seem 2 good 2 b true... DAMMIT!
Reply 47
P2B
LOLLLL that's actual madness! I knew they'd do something like that! I went in2 my local O2 Store & phoned the central O2 HQ JUST 2 be sure I could use the discount. They all said 'ye no problem, aslong as you don't buy the iPhone from Carphone Warehouse' - and now theyve updated the website to show "Specifically you'll be able to get:

* 30% off pay monthly line rental (excluding iPhone tariffs) "

Eurrghh :mad: :mad: That really sucks, but I know a lot of people were phoning in asking about it cos it did seem 2 good 2 b true... DAMMIT!

Don't worry. I only became a o2 customer in March so I have got to wait until this time next year to get the offer.
Reply 48
Can someone please help! Aaaah! I have a waitrose group interview coming up. What can I expect? I have no idea seeing as I've never even been to an interview let alone a group interview. I would really appreciate advice and any questions they may ask so I can be prepared. I need this job! Lucy, your advice and answers on this thread so far has been amazing, can you please help me out! Or anyone else! Thanks soooooooo much I promise I'll rep you.
Reply 49
At mine, there were 5 people, but that can vary.
We had to;
*Introduce ourselves to the rest of the group, and say a random fact or something about food...
*Split into 2 groups and pitch a sale to the other.
*Work together to describe what qualities a partner needs.
*Have an individual interview with the person running it.

That's what I can remember. It lasted about 2 hours in total. Wear smart clothes, everyone did in mine, and remember to take your passport or something else they can use! The woman was less than impressed when I didn't have mine :frown:
Reply 50
shenzys
Can someone please help! Aaaah! I have a waitrose group interview coming up. What can I expect? I have no idea seeing as I've never even been to an interview let alone a group interview. I would really appreciate advice and any questions they may ask so I can be prepared. I need this job! Lucy, your advice and answers on this thread so far has been amazing, can you please help me out! Or anyone else! Thanks soooooooo much I promise I'll rep you.

Honstly don't worry about these. It does depend on the branch that you go to. You will just be in a group of people who will probably all sit in the dining room and look as lost as you do this is normal. What normally happens is just basic things, you will be shown around the branch, aswell as introducing yourselfs, proudest moment, what makes good customer service etc. Please make sure that you dress quite smartly. They may give you something to wear with "Waitrose" on when you are on the shopfloor. This will probably be a tabard or an apron.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask or pm me.

Thanks Lucy
Reply 51
Sam o0o
At mine, there were 5 people, but that can vary.
We had to;
*Introduce ourselves to the rest of the group, and say a random fact or something about food...
*Split into 2 groups and pitch a sale to the other.
*Work together to describe what qualities a partner needs.
*Have an individual interview with the person running it.

That's what I can remember. It lasted about 2 hours in total. Wear smart clothes, everyone did in mine, and remember to take your passport or something else they can use! The woman was less than impressed when I didn't have mine :frown:

Ok, thanks I'll try not to forget. You know where you say pitch a sale to the other, what do you mean by that? Like say how you sell a particular object that your given (eg, dustpan and brush)? Sorry for being a bit thick, this is my first ever proper interview and I desperately ned this job!
Reply 52
shenzys
Ok, thanks I'll try not to forget. You know where you say pitch a sale to the other, what do you mean by that? Like say how you sell a particular object that your given (eg, dustpan and brush)? Sorry for being a bit thick, this is my first ever proper interview and I desperately ned this job!

Basically yes! At my branch they make them sell "kitchenware" it is like how do you sell an oven glove.
Reply 53
Thanks Lucy!
Reply 54
Well we each got given a pretty plain pack of tissues to sell. It's basically to see if you're confident and can interact with other people, nothing to be worried about :smile:
Reply 55
shenzys

I had my group interview nearly a year ago. We went into the training room, were given name badges, and then played some bingo game which was basically just an ice breaker. After that, we had to get into groups of 3 and list "qualities" of people in order of importance. For example respect, punctuality, politeness etc. After that, we got into pairs and had to sell a product. Everyone got boring products like lemons, and porridge oats to make it a little tricky. Then we got a tour around the shop, and finally we had the one on one interview.

My main advice would be to wear smart clothes, be confident, but certainly not cocky when speaking to the group, make eye contact AND SMILE THROUGH THE WHOLE THING.

All they are really looking for is polite, well-mannered people who will be able to deal with customers. They are mad keen on good customer service and expect high standards (e.g. looking smart). Oh and by the way, just remeber all the basics like be on time, and knock before you enter rooms etc.

Good luck!!

EDIT: PLEASE BE PREPARED TO ANSWER "WHY DO YOU WANT TO WORK AT WAITROSE?" you are kicking yourself in the teeth if you don't have an answer ready for this.
Reply 56
I've worked at Waitrose for almost a year now, but intend to finish there at the beginning of September to go to Uni in Manchester.

If I could, I'd ask for a transfer to another branch, but if I remember rightly, the nearest John Lewis/Waitrose is in Cheadle. I'm lost! I don't really want to get another job because I like the security and conditions of the job I have, but it's completely necessary that I get a part time job while I'm at Uni. What do you reckon my options are?
Reply 57
UltimateJ
I had my group interview nearly a year ago. We went into the training room, were given name badges, and then played some bingo game which was basically just an ice breaker. After that, we had to get into groups of 3 and list "qualities" of people in order of importance. For example respect, punctuality, politeness etc. After that, we got into pairs and had to sell a product. Everyone got boring products like lemons, and porridge oats to make it a little tricky. Then we got a tour around the shop, and finally we had the one on one interview.

My main advice would be to wear smart clothes, be confident, but certainly not cocky when speaking to the group, make eye contact AND SMILE THROUGH THE WHOLE THING.

All they are really looking for is polite, well-mannered people who will be able to deal with customers. They are mad keen on good customer service and expect high standards (e.g. looking smart). Oh and by the way, just remeber all the basics like be on time, and knock before you enter rooms etc.

Good luck!!

EDIT: PLEASE BE PREPARED TO ANSWER "WHY DO YOU WANT TO WORK AT WAITROSE?" you are kicking yourself in the teeth if you don't have an answer ready for this.

Yep mine was similar, its piss easy if you know how to speak English properly lol
Anisaar
I've worked at Waitrose for almost a year now, but intend to finish there at the beginning of September to go to Uni in Manchester.

If I could, I'd ask for a transfer to another branch, but if I remember rightly, the nearest John Lewis/Waitrose is in Cheadle. I'm lost! I don't really want to get another job because I like the security and conditions of the job I have, but it's completely necessary that I get a part time job while I'm at Uni. What do you reckon my options are?

work at the M&S food branch in the city centre or the one at the railway station
hey Ive been working at Waitrose for the last 2 years. And I love it there, the people I work with are amazing, the customers are friendly, the work is easy.

Ive got 2 weeks left - I needed to leave because the longer I stay the longer I will be putting off going into a real job rather than being a checkout operator all my life. I was asked to be a CSA but didnt feel confident enough, though they said I can always come back if I want to train as one.
ahh im gonna miss it. I love cashing up at night its really fun, and I like chatting to all the regular customers each week.

Latest