The Student Room Group

Hair Dyes Which Don't Test On Animals

Today I happened to be browsing around in Wilkinson’s and I came across hair dyes, without even thinking I saw a colour I quite liked and wanted to test it out but I didn’t think about what brands test on animals. Its only a non-permanent one which washes out within 6-8 shampoos. The only problem is its by Nice ‘n Easy and I did some research and found that they test on animals and I’m totally against using products which have been tested on animals and don’t wish to support them. I just wondered whether anyone can suggest some hair dyes which are available in the United Kingdom which don’t test on animals? I found one range called Daniel Field and his products are Vegan but by the looks of it his products are only available online? Unless anyone knows shops which stock his products?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A shop called Lush don't test on animals..they have these hair dye bars which work really well but are a tad messy...but the other thing about this place is the shop looks good enough to eat :smile:
Reply 2
superfruit
A shop called Lush don't test on animals..they have these hair dye bars which work really well but are a tad messy...but the other thing about this place is the shop looks good enough to eat :smile:

And they are henna.

If you have bleached or dyed your hair any light shade then you must not use them. It will turn your hair green (speaking from experience). They can also irritate and are a gradual dye. They won't come out until your hair grows out.

I don't think Garnier test on animals.
superfruit

I know of Lush, don't they use henna to dye hair?
Reply 4
ElectricOceans
I know of Lush, don't they use henna to dye hair?

Aaah yeah they do...I'm dark haired so its gone down quite well. Plus my mum had a really bad allergic reaction to chemical dyes so we switched to natural. I know Garnier does test on animals cos its part of l'oreal..the only other one i can think of is body shop and i think maybe this brand called bumble and bumble, my friend uses it. What colour's your hair? And what colour dyu wanna dye it?
superfruit
Aaah yeah they do...I'm dark haired so its gone down quite well. Plus my mum had a really bad allergic reaction to chemical dyes so we switched to natural. I know Garnier does test on animals cos its part of l'oreal..the only other one i can think of is body shop and i think maybe this brand called bumble and bumble, my friend uses it. What colour's your hair? And what colour dyu wanna dye it?

At the moment my hairs a dark blonde and I’m wanting to dye my hair a light brown or medium brown shade. I'm a little unsure of using henna to dye my hair because I can be quite senstive to certain products so I don't want to risk having a reaction to it.
Bubblebee
And they are henna.

If you have bleached or dyed your hair any light shade then you must not use them. It will turn your hair green (speaking from experience). They can also irritate and are a gradual dye. They won't come out until your hair grows out.

I don't think Garnier test on animals.

My hair isn’t dyed or bleached its my natural colour but its quite a light shade. I wouldn’t want to use henna dye anyway because I think I might be sensitive to it.

I think Garnier does, I'll look it up.
Reply 7
ElectricOceans
At the moment my hairs a dark blonde and I’m wanting to dye my hair a light brown or medium brown shade. I'm a little unsure of using henna to dye my hair because I can be quite senstive to certain products so I don't want to risk having a reaction to it.

Hmm well like what was just said you may not wanna risk it with blonde hair? But if your hair is quite dark blonde then maybe you could try? Do a patch test before putting it on your hair and see if it causes a reaction. My mum's face swelled up to like a balloon when she used the dye that Davina poses for!..but with Henna she's fine, just cold on your head when she puts it on..
superfruit
Hmm well like what was just said you may not wanna risk it with blonde hair? But if your hair is quite dark blonde then maybe you could try? Do a patch test before putting it on your hair and see if it causes a reaction. My mum's face swelled up to like a balloon when she used the dye that Davina poses for!..but with Henna she's fine, just cold on your head when she puts it on..

I may consider it but I'm already sure that I don't have reactions to home dyes so really I was looking for a product similar to nice n'easy but one that hasn't been tested on animals.
Reply 9
I recommend Naturtint, and 'naturtint reflex' which is their non-permanant range. They definitely don't test on animals, it's vegan, is made for sensitive skin apparently, no peroxide or ammonia, blah blah. Here's a stockist from a random google search: http://www.naturesdream.co.uk/naturtint/index.php
WarmSound
I recommend Naturtint, and 'naturtint reflex' which is their non-permanant range. They definitely don't test on animals, it's vegan, is made for sensitive skin apparently, no peroxide or ammonia, blah blah. Here's a stockist from a random google search: http://www.naturesdream.co.uk/naturtint/index.php

They seem to be a good brand, I just had a look and they do some good shades but I can't really see a colour I want. Its either to dark or to light. :frown: Thanks for the link though.
If it helps, herbal essences doesn't, but it's part of Clairol which does. Peta have a list which could help you...

http://search.caringconsumer.com/search_list_icons.aspx?Donottest=-1&Product=Cat_9&Dotest=-1

Permanent hair dye: http://search.caringconsumer.com/search_list_icons.aspx?Donottest=-1&Product=Sub_61&Dotest=-1

That's all haircare companies which are 'cruelty free', some will be American companies and not available in the UK, but you should find a fair amount on there. The only problem is that by principle they will not put a company on the list if it is part of a larger company in which the parent company participates in animal testing. Also not sure what their line is on companies which used to.

As far as I know, most stores own brands are non animal testing, Boots do own brand hair dye
http://www.boots.com/shop/product_details.jsp?productid=1083385&classificationid=1052816&slmRefer=

and from http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/CAMPAIGNS/experiments/ALL/303/

Boots

They state 'no animal testing of any kind is undertaken or commissioned by the Boots Company or its subsidiary businesses.' However, they do not have a FCOD, and are prepared to use ingredients that have been tested on animals by others.
Reply 12
The dye would only be too dark for a few washes, they always fade quite a bit. Or leave it on for a shorter time. But they definitely fade easily, especially if you use clarifying shampoo.
http://www.urbanitystore.com/fashion_clothing_brand/directions

Directions seem good, I've never used it, but a vegan friend has and recommends it (and her hair looks ok, and hasn't fallen out or anything!)
shinyhappy
http://www.urbanitystore.com/fashion_clothing_brand/directions

Directions seem good, I've never used it, but a vegan friend has and recommends it (and her hair looks ok, and hasn't fallen out or anything!)

They seem good the only problem with them is that their dyes are colours such as blues and purples. I was looking for shades of brown if possible.
ElectricOceans
They seem good the only problem with them is that their dyes are colours such as blues and purples. I was looking for shades of brown if possible.

Hmm, yeah good point. They do do blacks, and varying shades of red (my friend did her hair quite a pleasant shade of reddy-brown with their stuff) but they do seem sadly lacking in normal colours. I'll ask her if she can recommend any others!
Superdrug don't, they do some quite good hair dye actually.
Anything from Procter and Gamble will have been tested on animals. (including pringles..)
ElectricOceans
Today I happened to be browsing around in Wilkinson’s and I came across hair dyes, without even thinking I saw a colour I quite liked and wanted to test it out but I didn’t think about what brands test on animals. Its only a non-permanent one which washes out within 6-8 shampoos. The only problem is its by Nice ‘n Easy and I did some research and found that they test on animals and I’m totally against using products which have been tested on animals and don’t wish to support them. I just wondered whether anyone can suggest some hair dyes which are available in the United Kingdom which don’t test on animals? I found one range called Daniel Field and his products are Vegan but by the looks of it his products are only available online? Unless anyone knows shops which stock his products?

Superdrug. They don't advertise it enough, but none of their stuff is tested on animals and it's vegetarian so no animal products either. Nice hair dyes too :smile:
Directions, Stargazer, and Naturtint are the only ones i know of which are available in shops that are completely animal-friendly. I only use natural henna.. which is available in shades of brown aswell as the usual red.

kookoo... vegetarian means no products that an animal has died for, but may contain things like milk, honey, egg protein etc etc.. i wouldnt use them, but thats the OPs choice.
SoundDevastation
Directions, Stargazer, and Naturtint are the only ones i know of which are available in shops that are completely animal-friendly. I only use natural henna.. which is available in shades of brown aswell as the usual red.

kookoo... vegetarian means no products that an animal has died for, but may contain things like milk, honey, egg protein etc etc.. i wouldnt use them, but thats the OPs choice.

Oh yes true, I didn't think about those. How stupid to even need to put something like milk in hair dye. But I didnt' know about those other companies so thank you for that! I will tell my mom to start buying them :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending