The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

How does Cambridge view UMS in A2? Do they disadvantage those with <90% at A2? Or are such applicants allowed more leeway with A2 UMS?
I would've thought they'd count for something, but seeing as the majority of students get in with 3As, which can be anything from 480 to 600 UMS, it can't be a huge deciding factor.
Do you mean applying post A-levels?
Yep.
1.) I have just finished my AS exams and I know I should wait for my results before deciding but what's the lowest possible grades you or other people you know have had at AS and have had offers from Cambridge.

I mean if you get 4 B's or at least 1 A at AS then is there a point in applying to Cambridge.

2.) Also I know that my GCSE grades can be looked at to give the admissions tutors an idea of my education but I didnt do too well on those because I only came into the UK education system in year 11 and I had to combine year 10 coursework with year 11 and subjects I had not done before.

3.) If you apply to Cambridge but decide to do resits which are in January will they have any bearings on my chances of geting an offer.

4.) I think I want to apply to Downing college in Cambridge for Law and I was wondering if there is a point because there are many other applicants for Law so should I just apply to another college particularly with my unusual education circumstances and would you have to be exceptionally good to get into Downing for Law in 2009.

Thank you very much.

GCSE: ABBBBCCCC
A and 1 C are in a short course
Havent you already got a thread the same as this?
1) AABB.
2) That can be mentioned in your references.
3) It could go either way, from what I've heard. (Could depend on the subject you're applying for, and I don't think they can know that, afterall)
4) Well, to be honest you've probably got more chance of getting into Cambridge than LSE and so on, due to your (possibly weak) GCSEs ect ect. Remember, they will have more to base an offer on (application work, LNAT and so on).
T-o dore
Havent you already got a thread the same as this?

Yes I have but I am new to TSR and I realised it was in the wrong section.
Reply 88
So you have poor GCSEs and poor AS results?
Why do you deserve to get in when others do amazingly well in both and get rejected?
coren111
So you have poor GCSEs and poor AS results?
Why do you deserve to get in when others do amazingly well in both and get rejected?

I got ABBBBCCCC the A and one C in short courses at GCSE. I do not know if I got poor AS results as I do not have the results yet but I hope I did not and I am just saying is there a point in applying if I find out I get ABBBB or AABBB?
Reply 90
sleekchic
I got ABBBBCCCC the A and one C in short courses at GCSE. I do not know if I got poor AS results as I do not have the results yet but I hope I did not and I am just saying is there a point in applying if I find out I get ABBBB or AABBB?

To be blunt, you NEED to be capable of getting AAA at A2 because that is what your offer will be (or at a pinch, AAB, but this is rare, and normally given out to those who apply through the Cambridge Special Access Scheme). AS results of ABBBB do not indicate that that will be easy for you. Your GCSE results are understandable if you came this system in Year 11 (and if you do apply, make sure that is mentioned on your reference!) but why are you finding ASs so hard? Surely you picked subjects that you were good at, now subjects are no longer compulsory? I don't want to sound so negative, but Law is extremely competitive, at all colleges, and unless you have extentuating circumstances I can't see that your application would be successful. :frown:
Lidka
To be blunt, you NEED to be capable of getting AAA at A2 because that is what your offer will be (or at a pinch, AAB, but this is rare, and normally given out to those who apply through the Cambridge Special Access Scheme). AS results of ABBBB do not indicate that that will be easy for you. Your GCSE results are understandable if you came this system in Year 11 (and if you do apply, make sure that is mentioned on your reference!) but why are you finding ASs so hard? Surely you picked subjects that you were good at, now subjects are no longer compulsory? I don't want to sound so negative, but Law is extremely competitive, at all colleges, and unless you have extentuating circumstances I can't see that your application would be successful. :frown:

I am not finding AS hard, I absolutely enjoy it and I might get good grades but I don't know yet and I am really worried and I am sure that the circumstances regarding my GCSE's wil be mentioned in my reference.
Reply 92
sleekchic

I am not finding AS hard, I absolutely enjoy it and I might get good grades but I don't know yet and I am really worried and I am sure that the circumstances regarding my GCSE's wil be mentioned in my reference.

Well, that's great that you enjoy your work, but 'good grades' as in BBBB or AABB? I mean, I know there's always an element of surprise in exams, but surely you can tell if you're an A or B student? :s-smilie: Surely you've had predictions from your teachers? I'm not saying this to be harsh, but if you're really struggling to get a couple of As (without any good reason) then I'd be surprised if you got to the interview stage. It varies from college to college, but there are often just too many candidates with As to bother with those who have only Bs.

Obviously you have to wait 'til you get your results (and good luck with them :smile:), but if you do get below AABB, then I would e-mail Downing to ask what your chances are before you apply. I'm sorry, I've just never heard of anyone getting an offer with those grades and no extenuating circumstances.
Lidka
Well, that's great that you enjoy your work, but 'good grades' as in BBBB or AABB? I mean, I know there's always an element of surprise in exams, but surely you can tell if you're an A or B student? :s-smilie: Surely you've had predictions from your teachers? I'm not saying this to be harsh, but if you're really struggling to get a couple of As (without any good reason) then I'd be surprised if you got to the interview stage. It varies from college to college, but there are often just too many candidates with As to bother with those who have only Bs.

Obviously you have to wait 'til you get your results (and good luck with them :smile:), but if you do get below AABB, then I would e-mail Downing to ask what your chances are before you apply. I'm sorry, I've just never heard of anyone getting an offer with those grades and no extenuating circumstances.

How can I have my prediction if I am in year 12. My school works on that over the summer. I think I am an A student in some subjects and B in some.
Reply 94
sleekchic
How can I have my prediction if I am in year 12. My school works on that over the summer. I think I am a student in some subjects and B in some.

I'm not talking about your A2s, I mean your AS grades. Most sixthforms do end-of-term reports with grades in, and your teachers, if they know what they're doing, should be able to predict what you'll get in an exam from your year's work.

Anyway, what I've said still stands. Wait and see what you get for your ASs and then, if you still want to apply and you have questions, come back here and ask them . :smile:
the thing about the 90% ums average...is that 270+/300 in ALL your AS subjects or just on average 270+/300 over all 4 (i.e. can you have 290, 250, 260, 290 as opposed to 270+ in all of them as it will still give a 90% average)
Isometrix
the thing about the 90% ums average...is that 270+/300 in ALL your AS subjects or just on average 270+/300 over all 4 (i.e. can you have 290, 250, 260, 290 as opposed to 270+ in all of them as it will still give a 90% average)

I think it's 270+/300 UMS in each of your 3 most relevant subjects, to ensure that you will get pooled if you don't get an offer.
But I'm not entirely sure about that.
alex_hk90
I think it's 270+/300 UMS in each of your 3 most relevant subjects, to ensure that you will get pooled if you don't get an offer.
But I'm not entirely sure about that.

I believe GCSE results play a part in this as well.
so its not an average of 270?
Medicine Man
so its not an average of 270?

I don't think so, no.

Latest

Trending

Trending