The Student Room Group

BUNAC Work America

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I'm assuming application for Bunac is over now?
I'm heading to Cape Cod, apparently there's lots of jobs going out there at the min, and I visited there lastyear, and it's beautiful :smile:
anyone else hating it, and really homesick, or is that just me?

Can't decide whether this is better or worse than a boring summer at home tho :frown:
Perfectly_Imperfect

Can't decide whether this is better or worse than a boring summer at home tho :frown:

i dont like it.

I'm actually about to get the bus to NYC in an hour to fly home.
Perfectly_Imperfect

:frown: how come you're not enjoying it? and same to the other above poster? it's a shame to give up on it.. I was homesick when i did work america too, but i found that over time it went, and keeping busy helped too. ... don't give up!
Awww i'm sorry you guys aren't having a good time. I'm thinking about doing this next year :frown:

Where are you and what is it you're not enjoying? I hope it gets better if you do decide to stay!
Reply 66
Anyone know how much more difficult it would be arranging your own job? And how to go about doing that.
hey all.

so it turns out my homesickness has only been made worse by illness. :frown:

I've seen three doctors in a week, and the general consensus by them is that I have an ear infection, been on antibiotics for a week, and told I should feel better within another week. the second doctor I saw was concerned I had glandular fever, but according to the third doctor I don't. Unfortuantely, whilst I'm sleeping 12 hours a day, and spending the rest of the time trying not to fall asleep/ have migranes so bad I'm throwing up, none of the doctors seem to care, and just brush it off as my ear infection.

So anyway, I guess i have to wait out the week, and then go back to see another doctor if I don't feel better. I've been ill for about the whole month I've been out here, so even if the doctors think it's nothing, I may come home anyway. I may not have spent a million years in med school, but I know my body and I'm really noy well at all, no matter what they say.

anyway, I'll keep you all posted as to what's going on xx
Reply 68
Were there any locations in Missouri in the handbook?
I've seen three doctors in a week, and the general consensus by them is that I have an ear infection, been on antibiotics for a week, and told I should feel better within another week. the second doctor I saw was concerned I had glandular fever, but according to the third doctor I don't. Unfortuantely, whilst I'm sleeping 12 hours a day, and spending the rest of the time trying not to fall asleep/ have migranes so bad I'm throwing up, none of the doctors seem to care, and just brush it off as my ear infection.

Yikes - all of those doctors visits must have been expensive. :confused: When I wanted to go they said that there would be a $300 upfront charge just to see the doctor. :eek:

Needless to say I thought "sod that" and went home to sweat it out. :smile:

Best of luck.
Were there any locations in Missouri in the handbook?

I don't have the paper copy of the handbook with me as I didn't bring it with me.

However I have checked the online Job Directory supplement for you and I can't see anything listed for Missouri.

Sorry

:s-smilie:
Aw I wish I was in the US now :frown:

How is everyone finding it?
Aw I wish I was in the US now

How is everyone finding it?

Hello and sorry for the late reply.

Things are ok for me I suppose. If you have read further up the thread some people are finding it more difficult than others.

However this thread is a bit of a ghost town and I am sure that the majority of the 1000 + people who are currently in the US on the BUNAC program alone will be having a good time.

(The last estimate I heard was 2000 irish students in San Diego alone - not BUNAC)

I have got a job and accomodation sorted. I just think that my life is plodding along at the moment. It seems that all I am doing is working and I am not making the most of the oportunity to see all of the variety of places available. ( I could be working in the UK for more money due to the weak $ and spending time with my family)

Roll on September when the time comes to go travelling.

Of course I can't complain about the weather. I have forgotten what rain feels like as it hasn't rained since I arrived here on the 2nd of June. :eek:

My mum said that it has been quite wet in the UK recently. :s-smilie:

Stragnely that cheers me up - sorry for all of the people who are suffering. :p:

Is anyone else going to post to let us know how they are getting on? :smile:
Reply 73
Hi Guys,

Is there a way to look at the directory without applying for one?

I'd love to work in Las Vegas as a croupier :smile:
Creepy
Hi Guys,

I'd love to work in Las Vegas as a croupier :smile:

You can send off for a job directory on the bunac website. www.bunac.org
But it isn't available online to just view. Have to send off for it.
Hi Guys,

I'd love to work in Las Vegas as a croupier

Its definatlley do-able.

I have seen a few adverts in the small adds paper for training courses to be a croupier.

However it looks quite extensive and expensive. I don't think you will just be able to walk into this sort of job - hence it wont be in the BUNAC book.

Also are you over 21?
Reply 76
Ooh, I'm definitely applying to do this in summer 2009! I'm gonna apply for a job in Manhattan and stay there for most of the time - hopefully do some travelling and visiting National Parks and stuff afterwards!
Reply 77
Would you say camp america was better or work america...heard loads of people with good camp experiences but very few have said anything great about work america.
Reply 78
mark1234567890
Its definatlley do-able.

I have seen a few adverts in the small adds paper for training courses to be a croupier.

However it looks quite extensive and expensive. I don't think you will just be able to walk into this sort of job - hence it wont be in the BUNAC book.

Also are you over 21?

Yes, i'm 22. I will be 23 next summer. Do you know where I can look to find this sort of ingormation?
minelli
Would you say camp america was better or work america...heard loads of people with good camp experiences but very few have said anything great about work america.

Yes I would like to know the answer to this one as well

Quick Reply