The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Same old Dragonforce really. Nothing really special about it. But then Slayer never changed their sound and they are one of the most popular (shit) metal bands around.

I got the Five Finger Death Punch album. It sucks. I need to give Frederik Thordendal's solo album a listen but at 28 tracks Im not sure if I have the time.
Difference between Slayer and Dragonforce is that Slayer actually makes good music wheras Dragonforce continues to create the same bland notes/riffs in every song, using the same words in most songs. Most of DFs songs have the same theme and I think we can safely say that Slayer has produced a wide range of songs with different lyrical content.
You certainly can't argue with the fact that Slayer at least use intelligent lyrical themes :yes:
Reply 1983
Oh for god's sake... why is everyone back onto Dragonforce? They're awful... I listened to "heroes of our time" and it's the same-old-same-old all over again; with a side order of utterly hilarious for the lyrics "Glorious, forevermore-i-ous". They're almost a caricature of a caricature... possibly the worst major metal band I've ever heard.

Any Origin fans here? \m/ Now there's heavy...
C2H5OH
"Glorious, forevermore-i-ous"

:congrats:
Reply 1985
Ignoring all the flamers, I really like some of the new album. "Reasons to Live" is going to become one of my favourites, I think it's slightly more proggy in places. "The Last Journey Home" is a contender for the next "Soldiers of the Wasteland". More epic choruses on the other tracks as well :biggrin:

They have definitely turned down the tempo though...
The Formidable Tani
LO
CUST
REEEIGN

Converge tonight, gonna be deeeep. Hope there'll be others of you going, it'll be a sick gig.

How was Converge last night?
I'm going to be able to order tickets for Mesuggah soon! :biggrin:
I'm really quite excited; they're going to be playing at Manchester Academy in September. I've heard that they like cancelling Manchester gigs though... don't know why.
Has anyone seen them live before?
Reply 1988
DarkShadows
I'm really quite excited; they're going to be playing at Manchester Academy in September. I've heard that they like cancelling Manchester gigs though... don't know why.

Nope. I'll be seeing them in London in September. Should be a great show. Obzen is a killer album.

Soulfly's new album is pretty good too, actually. Here's Blood Fire War Hate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzGrqoEOfj4
:cool:
Hey guys, just signed up and I thought I'd join this group for obvious reasons!
DarkShadows

Meshuggah are absolute tossers. First they cancel a headlining tour, then they cancel a Portsmouth date with Dillinger to work on that piece of crap Obzen, then they dont even reschedule a Portsmouth date.
Someone's a happy bunny :p:
Reply 1992
Lateralus
Meshuggah are absolute tossers. First they cancel a headlining tour, then they cancel a Portsmouth date with Dillinger to work on that piece of crap Obzen, then they dont even reschedule a Portsmouth date.

Quiet you. Obzen is one of this year's best albums.
I'd cancel a gig in Portsmouth for lesser excuses than that.
akmd
Quiet you. Obzen is one of this year's best albums.

The only song I really like on it is Bleed. The others just make me cringe/fall asleep.
Reply 1995
Lateralus
The only song I really like on it is Bleed. The others just make me cringe/fall asleep.

Fair enough. I think that album and the new ones from Testament and Opeth are the best metal albums of the year so far.

Are you seeing Shadows Fall in September btw?
SmilerNuts
How was Converge last night?

Converge was awesome thanks, despite the ridiculous slam-dancers. The set they played was great, a lot of Jane Doe stuff, few bits and pieces from No Heroes and You Fail Me, and some older tracks too, like My Great Devestator. I managed to clamber onto the stage at one point and Jacob Bannon pushed me back for a stage dive which was fun =P

I'm definitely seeing Meshuggah in September when they're in London, ObZen's epic. Looking forward even more to Nile a week after that though!
Ooh, when/where are Shadows Fall and Nile playing? I'd be very interesed in both those gigs.

TFT - did they play "Bare My Teeth"? t's still my fave song from No Heroes. Sounds like a blast, wish Id been there.
Saw Shadows Fall live once as a support, I like their music and they were alright but meh, probably wouldn't spend money to see them. Nile are playing in London, Peterborough, Leeds and Wolves I think (19th September is the London date, don't know about the others).

I can't really remember if they played Bare My Teeth...I would've liked them to play Vengeance, my personal fave off No Heroes, but they played all the great songs from Jane Doe (minus Jane Doe itself) and the encore of Plagues and No Heroes was brilliant. They tour a lot so they'll probably be back sometime next year =P
Anyone a fan of Technical Death Metal?

Psycroptic
Gorguts
Nile
Suffocation
Death
Dying Fetus

Etc...

I can't wait till I move into my new house in September, I'm going to buy a decent electronic drum kit to practice on again (I played for a long time then had to sell my kit). I would buy a proper kit but thats not really practical haha. Can't wait.

Latest