The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Any get Airbournes album?
Saw them at Download and thought they were amazing.
Veil of Maya
Anyone a fan of Technical Death Metal?

Psycroptic
Gorguts
Nile
Suffocation
Death
Dying Fetus

Etc...

I can't wait till I move into my new house in September, I'm going to buy a decent electronic drum kit to practice on again (I played for a long time then had to sell my kit). I would buy a proper kit but thats not really practical haha. Can't wait.

I got a Roland TD3 for that very purpose off ebay for cheap. Much better than I expected, bit addictive buying extra bits for it. Double kick works great with it :yy: But my stamina is terrible for legs :nn:
akmd
Fair enough. I think that album and the new ones from Testament and Opeth are the best metal albums of the year so far.

Are you seeing Shadows Fall in September btw?

You're right, the new Opeth is nothing short of a masterpiece and the new Testament is pretty good too. The new Scar Symmetry is pretty awesome too.

I think I am, depending on whether the venues/ticket outlets actually start selling the dates sometime soon. I heard all the dates were pulled for some reason...
Have any of you been to HMV recently? Went in today due to boredom but it really pissed me off. They're slashing prices on almost everything in store but jacking up prices on metal cds :angry: I think the cheapest one was £13 but there were a lot at £17 - £20. Add to that selling a few metal dvds between £35 and £45. I actually despise that store now but Zavvi has a terrible selection of metal so I'm kinda screwed. Then paused for a while to read that Converge article in Kerrang (was I **** gonna pay for it :p:) which wasn't great, only to turn round and find a bunch of 15 year old emos ******* over the new paramore album in the corner of the metal section! Eugh, it sickens me.
SunburnedCactus
I got a Roland TD3 for that very purpose off ebay for cheap. Much better than I expected, bit addictive buying extra bits for it. Double kick works great with it :yy: But my stamina is terrible for legs :nn:

Yeh I was going to buy one of the 6's second hand with a couple of extra bits of kit again.

I'm going to be starting back in a strange place because I was a very good drummer. My muscles are going to feel very strange for a while.
Lateralus
You're right, the new Opeth is nothing short of a masterpiece and the new Testament is pretty good too. The new Scar Symmetry is pretty awesome too.

I think I am, depending on whether the venues/ticket outlets actually start selling the dates sometime soon. I heard all the dates were pulled for some reason...

Yeh Opeths album is a masterpiece, I am so glad they didn't disappoint. I'm going to have to go and repent for ever doubting Mikael. *turns gay*
Reply 2006
Veil of Maya
Anyone a fan of Technical Death Metal?

Psycroptic
Gorguts
Nile
Suffocation
Death
Dying Fetus

I like me a bit of Death. Do Arsis count as tech death? I'm pretty crappy with my genres.

My fav releases so far this year (pretty much all been mentioned although I feel like I'm forgetting something):
Opeth
Testament
Kalmah
Scar Symmetry
Meshuggah
SmilerNuts
Have any of you been to HMV recently? Went in today due to boredom but it really pissed me off. They're slashing prices on almost everything in store but jacking up prices on metal cds :angry: I think the cheapest one was £13 but there were a lot at £17 - £20. Add to that selling a few metal dvds between £35 and £45. I actually despise that store now but Zavvi has a terrible selection of metal so I'm kinda screwed. Then paused for a while to read that Converge article in Kerrang (was I **** gonna pay for it :p:) which wasn't great, only to turn round and find a bunch of 15 year old emos ******* over the new paramore album in the corner of the metal section! Eugh, it sickens me.

It seems that nowhere these days sell decent priced metal CDs, you literally have to hunt them down, or order online which I HATE doing! Even if you do find a decent priced CD in HMV etc, as you said, it's hidden in amongst crappy emo CDs that make me want to throw up! They should be in the pop section...where they belong!
Reply 2008
Resurrection Records in Camden - best place for metal. The more mainstream stuff you can probably get for cheaper on the internet but Resurrection stocks some of the more obscure stuff for usually around £10-£12 (although I haven't been there in a while actually). Plus its underground - thats brutal.
Is that the one thats down the stairs.....and also seems to have shoes/clothes/accessories in the same shop!?
If I lived in London that would be fantastic :p:

I need to go find the nearest Fopp and fast, they're normally not too bad for metal.
Didn't Fopp close down?!
I think Ive been to Resurrection Records shop that had a creepy downstairs with an awful toilet that I refused to use. They had Dew-Scented CDs there which I was very impressed with. Had a lot of obscure stuff too at lower prices than high street retail shops. I loved browsing through it. :biggrin: Luckily, I'm going to UCL... :p:

Arsis is technical death metal. :wink:
LouLou815
Didn't Fopp close down?!

HMV bought a few of them but kept them as Fopps, was in the one in Manc a while ago. Quite nice.
Reply 2014
Tottenham Court Road Fopp closed down but Covent Garden reopened. It's still open as far as I know.
Reply 2015
Oh ffs, look at the tours that America has got this Autumn:

Amon Amarth with:
Ensiferum
Belphegor

and

Carcass with:
Necrophagist
Suffocation
Aborted

They have to be to of the best lineups in a long time...
Meh, America always has great tours. What do we get? Taste of Chaos :p:
Ahhh! That explains it! I haven't seen one in ages but keep hearing people mentioning them still!

And yes, America always get great tours! Same as europe actually for the most part. For some reason we don't get the decent ones in the UK!
Reply 2018
RJA
Oh ffs, look at the tours that America has got this Autumn:

Amon Amarth with:
Ensiferum
Belphegor

and

Carcass with:
Necrophagist
Suffocation
Aborted

They have to be to of the best lineups in a long time...

Amon Amarth with Ensiferum! :eek: and we have to settle for seeing them play probably 25 mins opening Unholy Alliance...sucks! They're probably not gonna do a headlining tour are they? :frown:

blahbloo
I think Ive been to Resurrection Records shop that had a creepy downstairs with an awful toilet that I refused to use. They had Dew-Scented CDs there which I was very impressed with. Had a lot of obscure stuff too at lower prices than high street retail shops. I loved browsing through it. :biggrin: Luckily, I'm going to UCL... :p:

er yeah never used their toilets so can't comment on that. browsing really is fun though - i spend ages in there and don't really buy anything cos im poor!
There's probably better reception in Europe than in the UK. I was speaking to this band and they were saying that it's quite dead in England in terms of attendance. You only get a good number of people if you're right at the top of the pile- Metallica, Dragonforce, etc- the most popular bands. But the very same bands that has very little people in the UK have much bigger fanbase in other countries in Scandinavia, etc. England isn't just metal enough for bands, I guess. :p: So we get crappy stinky tours with crappy bands.

Latest