The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

oh brilliant
green means pass. L can be used although P (for probationary) is more common.
Red is for pre-pass.
lol i dont know who to belive but princess sue does sound more realistic
The Apprentice
lol i dont know who to belive but princess sue does sound more realistic

United Kingdom

After learners in Great Britain pass their driving test, they may opt to display green P-plates (for "probationary") to show their lack of experience; this is entirely voluntary however. Some new drivers use green L plates (the pre-test colour being red), however as the L usually stands for Learner it is more common to use P Plates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L-plate

hope that clear things up
Reply 5
Yep, even after passing their test some people use green L plates as opposed to P plates. Best to stick to the red ones if you haven't passed yet. :smile:
suuuuuuseh
Yep, even after passing their test some people use green L plates as opposed to P plates. Best to stick to the red ones if you haven't passed yet. :smile:

lol, iv passed dont worry about that!

my dad has decided to keep the red L plates on his car even when my mom(learner) or me are not driving the car because every1 gives him way n stuff =)
Reply 7
The Apprentice
lol, iv passed dont worry about that!

my dad has decided to keep the red L plates on his car even when my mom(learner) or me are not driving the car because every1 gives him way n stuff =)

Isn't that illigal?
Rian1988
Isn't that illigal?

Ye, it is. You have to be a learner driver (or driving school) to display red L-plates.
lol he keeps em on all the time!
Reply 10
apprentice, why did you get green plates in the first place?

get out there and drive. dont your mates take the piss outta you for the noob plates?
Reply 11
The Apprentice
lol he keeps em on all the time!

My dad once got pulled over on the motorway because his car had red L plates on! My mum had been practicing, but they swapped just before we got on the M-way, but forgot about the plates.
Reply 12
Woah, green what? Over in NI we have a red L plate = learner, and once you pass you have a red R plate = restricted.
Reply 13
crazy irish

i bet you're allowed to drink guiness at the wheel too hey
Reply 14
you're meant to have red ones...
Reply 15
bean87
crazy irish

i bet you're allowed to drink guiness at the wheel too hey

:rofl:
Epic Win
you're meant to have red ones...

Why?? He's passed!
Reply 17
The green ones are to show you have recently passed. They are very nooby though. Take em' off !
Reply 18
parpirate
Why?? He's passed!

lol, my window for replying had been open for hours :smile:
i left my laptop on and went to the pub, came back and decided to reply
i didn't know he had passed haha
ill be sure not to do that again :rolleyes:
Also if your dad is driving on his own and displaying L plates his likely to get stopped.

Latest