The Student Room Group

Does anyone know what Tesco's policy on sick pay is?

hi

so i was looking at my payslip and i noticed that i hadnt been paid on a day i took off sick. it was genuine because it was a car crash and i returned to work the next day. i thought i would be paid sick pay.

is there a certain length of time you have to have worked there to be entitled to sick pay?

thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You won't get paid until your forth sick day - unless you started before July 2005, in which case you get paid from the first day.

Tom
Reply 2
oh ok. thats a funny policy if ever ive seen one!
I think the policy tomgraham17 is refering to is the government policy on when employees should pay sick pay.

See this site: http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefits/statutory_sick_pay.asp#start
Reply 4
Quite a common one these days I'm afraid. Idea is to stop people taking the odd day or two off for no good reason. But of course the people who really are sick drag themselves into work and spread it around because they can't affort to take the time off.

Tom
Reply 5
It is also the Tesco policy for paying company sick pay.

Tom
Reply 6
to me, it makes me think i should use up the unpaid sick days when im not really that ill but its a month where im better off, or have more time to do overtime so that i can get paid when i take proper sickies. not that i would!
I work at tesco

if your away for more than 2 days, then you get paid..so if you miss 2 days, or 1 day no pay

also if you're away for more than a week you need too have a doctors note, it's tough but tesco aren't exactly a great employer..i work at tesco AND john lewis..and i'd choose john lewis any day, good staff discount, pay, quality of work, plus sick pay from day one..
Reply 8
Lol. If I uderstand you correctly it doesn't work like that. You will not be paid for the first 3 days of any occasion of absence.

Tom.
Reply 9
tomgraham17
Lol. If I uderstand you correctly it doesn't work like that. You will not be paid for the first 3 days of any occasion of absence.

Tom.

so do you notget paid when your sick unless you take 3 days off?

cos thats crap! i thought what you meant was the first time you have a sickie-no pay. second time-no pay. 3rd time -pay

well thats poo then! i only work 2 days a week so would i have to miss a whole weekend plus another day the next weekend before being paid?
If you started after the date I specified above you will not receive any company (or statuatory) sick pay for the first 3 days you are off sick.

At 6 months service, you are entitled to 1 weeks paid sickness, then it rises by a week for every year you stay with the company, up to a maximum of 16 weeks.

This is the current Tesco company sick pay policy.

I'm afraid I am not entirely sure how this translates to part time workers.

Tom
woofums
so do you notget paid when your sick unless you take 3 days off?

cos thats crap! i thought what you meant was the first time you have a sickie-no pay. second time-no pay. 3rd time -pay

well thats poo then! i only work 2 days a week so would i have to miss a whole weekend plus another day the next weekend before being paid?

dont listen too tomgraham...he doesn't WORK at tesco he's going on the law, many companies pay sick pay whether from day one. Like i said, tesco is 2 days or 2 shifts
Erm no I am going on the TESCO COMPANY SICK PAY POLICY. I worked in Personnel with Tesco for 4 years dear. I suggest you consult your personnel department or read company literature regarding the relevant policy.

If you can't be bothered with that then google is your friend.

Tom
tomgraham17
Erm no I am going on the TESCO COMPANY SICK PAY POLICY. I worked in Personnel with Tesco for 4 years dear. I suggest you consult your personnel department or read company literature regarding the relevant policy.

If you can't be bothered with that then google is your friend.

MUPPET

Tom

lol haha..whatever..i so don't believe you. It says clearly in my employee's handbook 2days, my bronze and silver training was...2 days..when i had the flu 3 weeks ago, i got paid after...2 days..

if you 'worked' maybe what you know is very out date
Woofums your best bet is to speak to your payroll assistant or personnel/duty manager to get the correct information.

But I can assure you that what I have stated reflects the current policy for stores.

I see Tesco is still employing from the shallow end of the IQ pool...
tomgraham17 is right....its 3 days till you get paid :smile: unless you started before 2005 ish
anna_spanner89
lol haha..whatever..i so don't believe you. It says clearly in my employee's handbook 2days, my bronze and silver training was...2 days..when i had the flu 3 weeks ago, i got paid after...2 days..

if you 'worked' maybe what you know is very out date

anna_spanner89,

You are wrong. It is one of the most common enquiries I get as a Team Leader and Usdaw rep. Sick pay (both statutory and company) is only paid from the fourth day of sickness. You don't get anything for the first three days you are off sick.
Reply 17
tomgraham17
Woofums your best bet is to speak to your payroll assistant or personnel/duty manager to get the correct information.

But I can assure you that what I have stated reflects the current policy for stores.

I see Tesco is still employing from the shallow end of the IQ pool...

Im intelligent :yep:

but yeah ill check with my manager. thanks :smile:
That was harsh and unjustified - I am sorry. Be assured it wasn't directed at you.

I was also an USDAW rep. I ended up hating my job and my union role, so I left Tesco's. Am much happier now :smile:

Tom
Reply 19
I am in a supervisor at Tesco. If you started your employment with Tesco after the 3rd July 2004, you are only eligible to receive Company Sick Pay after the first three working days of each period of sickness. For example,,f you are contracted to work a Monday and a Friday only and are off sick for two weeks,you will only receive Company Sick Pay for the Friday of the second week. If you have worked with the company for less than sick months your entitlement to sick pay is 0. 6 months =up to 1 week at full pay
1 year but less than 2=up to 2 weeks at full pay
2 years=up to three years full pay and so on. After 6 years of servive you may receive up to one week at full pay for every year of service,less any amount paid the previous year subject to minimum of six weeks and maximum of 16 weeks.A a company Tesco do have the right to withhold Company Sick Pay if there is reasonable belief your absence is not genuine, you do anything deliberately or negligently to make your illness worse or you cause your own injury.
Regards Lexy