The Student Room Group

How does a pebble beach form?

Hi,

I'm currently doing a coursework piece and am on a section explain the formation of certain sites. My teacher told us to use examples of areas but to keep the reasoning behind the formation general so it usually would apply to most other sites where they have that feature.

Im currently stuck on trying to explain how pebble beaches are formed. Am I right in thinking they are formed upon shallow land and the pebbles come from eroded materials along the coast which have gone through attrition and then deposited?
Reply 1
God does it.
can't remember all the terms from my gcse geog days but as i remember the perfect conditions are a flat beach with sort of lapping waves. But don't take my word for it, my geograpy lessons were a subsitute for my bed.
Reply 3
purplefrog
Hi,

I'm currently doing a coursework piece and am on a section explain the formation of certain sites. My teacher told us to use examples of areas but to keep the reasoning behind the formation general so it usually would apply to most other sites where they have that feature.

Im currently stuck on trying to explain how pebble beaches are formed. Am I right in thinking they are formed upon shallow land and the pebbles come from eroded materials along the coast which have gone through attrition and then deposited?

Beaches composed of pebbles and other larger materials are usually described as intermediate or reflective beaches. They usually have a steep offshore slope and are narrow and steep in relief. Waves are either 'collapsing' or 'surging' in character with a strong swash and weak backwash. Hence larger pebble material is driven onshore under a strong swash and then deposited as the backwash is too weak to remove it. Also, on pebble beaches quite a bit of energy in the backwash will be lost via percolation (usually 33-50%) which further weakens the backwash.
Reply 4
HappyHupo
Beaches composed of pebbles and other larger materials are usually described as intermediate or reflective beaches. They usually have a steep offshore slope and are narrow and steep in relief. Waves are either 'collapsing' or 'surging' in character with a strong swash and weak backwash. Hence larger pebble material is driven onshore under a strong swash and then deposited as the backwash is too weak to remove it. Also, on pebble beaches quite a bit of energy in the backwash will be lost via percolation (usually 33-50%) which further weakens the backwash.

cheers :smile:
Reply 5
HappyHupo

sounds very much like a mike collins lecture.
Reply 6
alex p
sounds very much like a mike collins lecture.

Who is Mike Collins?
Reply 7
HappyHupo
Who is Mike Collins?

mike collins or dorrik stowe, one of the two, sedimentary and oceanography lectures at NOCS, just sounded very much like one of the handouts i have from their courses.

Latest

Trending

Trending