The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

See the orientation, is this one on one or is it a group thing?? I'm being sent to a totally different store for it =[
wEe_ScOtTisH_yIn
See the orientation, is this one on one or is it a group thing?? I'm being sent to a totally different store for it =[

3 on 1
Reply 282
matt bass
Im a Crew Trainer (have been for 3 years) and trainee shift runner. I finally agreed to it after being harassed for the same amount of time.

I dont really mind working with customers. The rare time im on the front i am Mr McDonalds, but i really love working in the kitchen and leading and being part of a team. We often have competitions between the front and back to see whether we can keep up with each other.

You tend to find those who have worked in the kitchen first have a better understanding of how to work as a team and not to constantly nag whoever is on production for food! You can probably gather that gets on my nerves

Matt

Haha, you think you will stick around at McDonalds for the forseable future!? Yes the kitchen staff do get annoyed with our miethering to get food even though understandbly you can't give out uncooked food! It's a long day on the shifts I do but during lunch hour its just full adrenline non-stop rushing around. Time goes so fast lol.
Reply 283
matt bass
Im a Crew Trainer (have been for 3 years) and trainee shift runner. I finally agreed to it after being harassed for the same amount of time.

If you don't mind me asking, why didn't you want to do it? I know one of the floor managers in my store said no because she didn't want the extra responsibility, but I said yes as soon as I was asked. The money is obviously better and it's a better job, so I couldn't really see why not.

matt bass
You tend to find those who have worked in the kitchen first have a better understanding of how to work as a team and not to constantly nag whoever is on production for food! You can probably gather that gets on my nerves

And I agree with that completely. It can get so annoying when a new starter starts shouting "Where's my plain cheese?" when they only shouted for it 20 seconds earlier.
wEe_ScOtTisH_yIn

There were six newbies at ours. It should be a group thing if they've sent you somewhere else.
NickyP
If you don't mind me asking, why didn't you want to do it? I know one of the floor managers in my store said no because she didn't want the extra responsibility, but I said yes as soon as I was asked. The money is obviously better and it's a better job, so I couldn't really see why not.

And I agree with that completely. It can get so annoying when a new starter starts shouting "Where's my plain cheese?" when they only shouted for it 20 seconds earlier.

***** i'll only ask the once next time :redface:
Reply 286
rt
Oo brill - you enjoy it? I love working at McDonalds. Well I don't wake up and think wooo work, but I am enthuastic about getting it right, I like the drive thru alot. I worked in the kitchen one weekend and didn't enjoy it too much so I'd rather stay on the customer side of things. Do you plan to stay there for the forseable future? My longterm plan is to join the police but I'd rather do that in my late 20's.

Haha. I prefer working with customers too, but being in kitchen is a nice change sometimes. And I have no regrets about becoming a manager really. The job is quite different, but all the paperwork and what-not doesn't bother me.

I know I'll be there for at least another 3 years, when I finish university, but I'm glad I'm in a stable job that doesn't pay too badly and I quite enjoy!
Reply 287
Aaron_1507

***** i'll only ask the once next time :redface:

Haha. I remember when I first started I was waiting for a Quarter Pounder, and I kept shouting "Where's my quarter?" and it was annoying the floor manager on wrap and call, so when the run of quarters was done he threw them in the waste bin right in front of me. I wanted to cry.
NickyP
Haha. I prefer working with customers too, but being in kitchen is a nice change sometimes. And I have no regrets about becoming a manager really. The job is quite different, but all the paperwork and what-not doesn't bother me.

I know I'll be there for at least another 3 years, when I finish university, but I'm glad I'm in a stable job that doesn't pay too badly and I quite enjoy!
What paper work do you have to do?
Reply 289
Aaron_1507
What paper work do you have to do?

Food count, paper count, DPSC, labour charts. Most of it is done on the close.
NickyP
Haha. I remember when I first started I was waiting for a Quarter Pounder, and I kept shouting "Where's my quarter?" and it was annoying the floor manager on wrap and call, so when the run of quarters was done he threw them in the waste bin right in front of me. I wanted to cry.

I would have nutted the c u next tuesday. Haha just kidding.
Dpsc?
Reply 292
Aaron_1507
I would have nutted the c u next tuesday. Haha just kidding.

Haha. I know how he must have felt now though!
Reply 293
Aaron_1507
Dpsc?

Daily Product Safety Checklist. You have to fill it in every day to show that the grills are working properly and the chillers/freezers are at the correct temperatures and things.
Reply 294
NickyP

I think i got a little complacent. Was quite happy doing what i was doing. I want to be a teacher so teaching crew was something, and still is something i really enjoy. Considering i got to dictate my shifts and no one really questioned what i did, you can see why i became happy where i was.

I figured that not only is McManagement good experience, but its a pretty good back up should something go tits up along the way onto my desired career path.

I have been put onto a rather intensive 3 week Shift runners course (considering standard should be about 16 weeks), got my QRG exam on the 13th of August and down to London for BSM on the 17th. Got Taste of Quality tomorrow which should be easy since i do a similar session with the new crew trainers in my store, first aid next week, FRS and CCC the week after. Its getting pretty busy!

If it was up to me, id simply spend my time on production and glare at customers from afar. My general rule is (since i come from the old school way of doing things) if you ask for something more than twice you go to the back of the que. It may be cruel but it works. Alternatively we have a 'go slow' lol.

Ahhh back in the day of 12 macs and 24 regs lol
NickyP
Daily Product Safety Checklist. You have to fill it in every day to show that the grills are working properly and the chillers/freezers are at the correct temperatures and things.

Pretty simple stuff then. Do they consider your academic record when selecting managers and staff trainers?
Reply 296
I've got a problem. I didn't like school that much and I don't want to do education full time, I was thinking of a part-time course but I can't see anything that looks valuable to me and at the same time I'd like to keep a strong commitment of work hours up at McDonalds so I was considering going fulltime. I'm in a stable situation, just left school and at home and I want to join the police one day. Do you think it would be sensible of me to go straight into work? I enjoy my job and the best way for promotions is to show you're a hard strong commited employee. The Police aren't too fussed about qualifactions, you just have to pass entrance tests which I know about having some family in the Police and work experience placements and such. Comments and critism please? :smile:
rt
I've got a problem. I didn't like school that much and I don't want to do education full time, I was thinking of a part-time course but I can't see anything that looks valuable to me and at the same time I'd like to keep a strong commitment of work hours up at McDonalds so I was considering going fulltime. I'm in a stable situation, just left school and at home and I want to join the police one day. Do you think it would be sensible of me to go straight into work? I enjoy my job and the best way for promotions is to show you're a hard strong commited employee. The Police aren't too fussed about qualifactions, you just have to pass entrance tests which I know about having some family in the Police and work experience placements and such. Comments and critism please? :smile:

Go for it.:yep:
Reply 298
matt bass
I figured that not only is McManagement good experience, but its a pretty good back up should something go tits up along the way onto my desired career path.

That's exactly what I thought, and I don't think I'd find a better job to see me through uni. :smile:

matt bass
I have been put onto a rather intensive 3 week Shift runners course (considering standard should be about 16 weeks), got my QRG exam on the 13th of August and down to London for BSM on the 17th. Got Taste of Quality tomorrow which should be easy since i do a similar session with the new crew trainers in my store, first aid next week, FRS and CCC the week after. Its getting pretty busy!

Wow, that is really fast. All of my courses were at least a month apart, and all together it took me about 6 months to do! I hate the way my store is so disorganised sometimes. FRS was the most boring 2 days of my life, seriously I wanted to climb out of the window and run away, but First Aid is a good laugh and Taste of Quality isn't too bad! I don't suppose you'll be going to the Salford HQ for any of your courses will you?
Reply 299
Aaron_1507
Pretty simple stuff then. Do they consider your academic record when selecting managers and staff trainers?

Not at all. I think only a couple of the managers in my store actually went to college, but if you want to climb further up the ladder and become a store manager or higher then you generally need a degree.

Latest

Trending

Trending