The Student Room Group

The Big 'Which Cambridge College?' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60

You've really helped me narrow down the list :yep:

Is it true, that most of the lectures take place in the law faculty building?
If so, do all cambridge law students take these lectures together?
Downing, i've heard good lawyery things about. Otherwise, I can strongly recommend Girton (most of the top female judges around now are Girtonians plus Girton is completely amazing in every way). And Selwyn and Newnham are best for proximity to faculty :smile:
I'm looking to apply to King's because the buildings are wonderful, the food is good from what I've heard, the Law faculty is relatively close and I have heard good things about the music events that are held there. But a glance at some statistics shows it receives some of the highest percentage of state school acceptances for two consecutive years...which leads me to think there must be some sort of jiggery-pokery going on here. Am I being too suspicious?
Reply 63
No. Just that they have a lot of applications from state schools. At the end of the day, a college can only make offers to people from people that applied (oh and the pool).
Why do you think some colleges attract more state school applicants, and more attract more from the independent sector? I suppose that either way, you are unlikely to be disadvantaged by this.
Reply 65
They don't go out to attract exclusively one type of person. People look at statistics and then base their application on statistics, and so generally it then stays they way.

You are not disadvantaged by choice of college.
Reply 66
I used to think that the ratio of private/state in applicants equals the ratio of private/state in acceptances. Which would mean it's fair.
However except for seven or eight colleges, this appears not to be the case. Make of that what you will.
Reply 67
...of which King's is one! Make of that what you will. :smile:
Reply 68
Andy H
...of which King's is one! Make of that what you will. :smile:

King's has a 10% difference! i.e. ~80% of applicants are from the maintained sector, but only 70% of acceptances are from the maintained sector.

I think that's already quite a big difference actually. Or to be less harsh, it would be, if it were similar every year (which I don't know about), because then it would be a trend, favoring private school applicants. Not nice. :dry:
Whichever college you choose, don't pay too much attention to the Tompkins table ...
Reply 70
llys
King's has a 10% difference! i.e. ~80% of applicants are from the maintained sector, but only 70% of acceptances are from the maintained sector.

I think that's already quite a big difference actually. Or to be less harsh, it would be, if it were similar every year (which I don't know about), because then it would be a trend, favoring private school applicants. Not nice. :dry:

Don´t you think you´re exaggerating slightly? Statistics aren´t everything. It´s hardly likely the quality of the applicants is perfectly balanced in that EXACTLY one in four of the state school applicants and EXACTLY one in four of the private school applicants is the kind of person they want.

Also, I´d personally feel it were nicer if they just picked the best candidates, regardless of backgrounds. I´d obviously think it were bad if they only accepted private school candidates, but on the other hand, the whole application system does become a bit pointless if you only pick certain people because they make up your quota of state school applicants or whatever.
Some suggest that they should in fact not see what school you come from at all...and if interview techniques cannot be taught as the Universities ensure, then perhaps this is a good idea since private and state pupils will be judged purely on their academic potential rather than be positively discriminated one way or the other.

Besides, I think I am not going to apply to King's anyway, I think herds of tourists would get to me a little.
Reply 72
at least the herds of people at king's can be policed.. getting through quayside on any warm day was a nightmare, whereas king's was fine..
That's true. Tourists are so annoying. I get sick of telling them to get off the grass and stop climbing on the statue.
Hmm - I've been deliberating over colleges for ages now. The four I've narrowed it down to (at the moment, at least :rolleyes:) - for Maths, are:

Clare
Caius
Queens'
John's

hit me.
You should look around them and see for yourself...depends what you are looking for, I'm sure plenty of people can help you with that.

Oh - I almost forgot...here is a slap.
Reply 76
I dont know... maybe Girton, Slytherin, Ravenclaw or Trinity Hall, its a tough one..
Ravenclaw is good. But I've chosen Griffindor.
Reply 78
LOL! funniest post ive seen since i registered
J-OD
I dont know... maybe Slytherin... its a tough one..

:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending